Madden 11's Demo To Be Pretty Full-Featured

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The Madden 11 demo won't be a car hoisted on concrete. In other words, it won't be much like Madden 10's. This year's demo, which launches on July 27, will be full-featured, allowing users to fiddle with AI sliders, enjoy five-minute quarters, hear the fanciful screams of new announcer Gus Johnson and stadium fans, and much more.

GameSpot has the low-down on the forthcoming New York Jets vs. Indianapolis Colts demo, breaking that it will feature the aforementioned, as well as support the for franchise's two new strategy elements: gameflow and game-planning. The latter will allow you to use a team's respective playbook to plan out a game, pre-game, play-by-play. The former is a lot like an automated Madden's Play Choice system, with the added bonus of hearing a coordinator talk about a given pick in your headset ear. 

Football in a nutshell: its big and heavy men doing manly-man things on grass.

Users will also be able to explore all four levels of difficulty and keeping with the latest trend that Crackdown 2 kicked off, earn an achievement or trophy, as well as a Madden Ultimate Team card, whenever they pop in the retail disc this August.

If my fuzzy memory of Madden demos is indeed correct (give me a break here), Madden 11's demo will be the most robust offering outside of pre-order exclusive deals. So, if you're on the fence, somehow in the year 2010, you may want to give it a download over PSN and XBLM later this month.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The Madden 11 demo won't be a car hoisted on concrete. In other words, it won't be much like Madden 10's. This year's demo, which launches on July 27, will be full-featured, allowing users to fiddle with AI sliders, enjoy five-minute quarters, hear the fanciful screams of new announcer Gus Johnson and stadium fans, and much more.

GameSpot has the low-down on the forthcoming New York Jets vs. Indianapolis Colts demo, breaking that it will feature the aforementioned, as well as support the for franchise's two new strategy elements: gameflow and game-planning. The latter will allow you to use a team's respective playbook to plan out a game, pre-game, play-by-play. The former is a lot like an automated Madden's Play Choice system, with the added bonus of hearing a coordinator talk about a given pick in your headset ear. 

Football in a nutshell: its big and heavy men doing manly-man things on grass.

Users will also be able to explore all four levels of difficulty and keeping with the latest trend that Crackdown 2 kicked off, earn an achievement or trophy, as well as a Madden Ultimate Team card, whenever they pop in the retail disc this August.

If my fuzzy memory of Madden demos is indeed correct (give me a break here), Madden 11's demo will be the most robust offering outside of pre-order exclusive deals. So, if you're on the fence, somehow in the year 2010, you may want to give it a download over PSN and XBLM later this month.    
#2 Posted by jrpistolero (27 posts) -

sweet

#3 Edited by TadThuggish (906 posts) -

Note: It is still football.

#4 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

when will americans finally decide that 'Football' is a bad name for a game in which players use their hands to control the ball?

#5 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

Will this one be a FPS?

#6 Posted by bkfountain (102 posts) -

lol, earning achievements in demos to unlock in full games should have been thought of years ago. I know it worked on me while playing a demo of some XBLA game.

#7 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

cool, still don't give a shit about sports games.

#8 Posted by jmac_the_man (3 posts) -
@random_guy23: It's called football because the ball is 12 inches (1 foot) long.
#9 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -
@random_guy23:  When will Europeans decide that comments like that make them look stuck up and snooty?
#10 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -
@jmac_the_man said:
" @random_guy23: It's called football because the ball is 12 inches (1 foot) long. "
Beat me to it
#11 Posted by Demodocus (237 posts) -
@jmac_the_man said:
" @random_guy23: It's called football because the ball is 12 inches (1 foot) long. "
I have watched football for 13 years and I had no idea that was the reason it was called "football".  Thanks for making me feel stupid!
#12 Posted by Creamypies (4059 posts) -
@President_Barackbar: It's because we are stuck up, snooty and proud! 

To be fair, the only reason we say shit like that is because we enjoy winding up you Americans

;)  

At the end of the day, football AKA soccer was around long before your football was. So you'd think the 'masterminds' behind your sport would come up with a unique name for it. I concede that the ball itself being called football makes sense, but the sport as a whole should probably be called something different.
#13 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -
@random_guy23: Football evolved out of rugby, it used to be a more foot-involved sport, but then they legalized the forward pass, and you're not going to change the name when the brand is already recognizable.

Imagine if they started calling themselves the United Queendom when a woman became head of state. Yes it would be more accurate, but it would also be less recognizable.
#14 Edited by lmenzol (271 posts) -
@jmac_the_man said:

yea plus its the best sport in the world not only is it the most athletically demanding sport but its also the most strategic sport out there too
#15 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

FUCK YEA JETS IN THE DEMO, BIATCH. 

Excuse my outburst of Jets fanboyism, which is odd, seeing as how I live in CA.

#16 Posted by garion333 (123 posts) -
@InfamousBIG:  What like you'd root for the Raiders?!? ;)
#17 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@garion333:  Yah exactly why I go for the Jets.  Although some people I know are stupid enough to go for the Raiders, still. 

I'll start going for the Raiders when Al Davis gets shot, Pete Carroll starts coaching, Mark Sanchez is their QB, and Larry Fitzgerald becomes WR.
#18 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

Madden coverage on GB? Wtf?

#19 Posted by BlastProcessing (915 posts) -

Needz moar New York Giants

#20 Edited by DevWil (842 posts) -

i'm going to say this as gently as possible: 

I think most people in the Giant Bomb community who would be interested in the content of a Madden demo (which I feel is a minority) would find this information out on their own from some other source.

i know nicholdude gotta get paid and he's getting shit from everyone...but really.  this probably wouldn't even get a mention on the news section of the bombcast. 

and to anybody who will say "THEN DON'T READ IT", it's hard not to at least notice it when it's on the front page.  articles like this push better content off the front page.  that's why it's fair game to criticize it. 

seacrest, out.

#21 Posted by Joker369 (872 posts) -

this will be the first year i wont get madden since 2002. I'm just not into the whole simpler theme this year. Game flow is just not what i think is a worthwhile addition

#22 Posted by pughua (17 posts) -

This will be a big hit, and then next year they'll charge $5 for their demo. 

#23 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Last Madden I bought was 2008, I think I'm in need of an upgrade.
#24 Posted by jmac_the_man (3 posts) -
@DevWil: I disagree. This is a site that covers video game news. Whether it appeals to your personal tastes or not, Madden is a video game, and a pretty popular one at that. It's not like this story took a lot of effort to put together; all it took was access to the demo, which the author had because he writes for a video game site.
#25 Posted by jtrov (6 posts) -

"Users will also be able to explore all four levels of difficulty and keeping with the latest trend that Crackdown 2 kicked off..."

Huh? All EA Sports games have allowed users to change difficulties. This is no trend, smh...

#26 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@creamypies said:
" @President_Barackbar: It's because we are stuck up, snooty and proud! 

To be fair, the only reason we say shit like that is because we enjoy winding up you Americans.  ;)   At the end of the day, football AKA soccer was around long before your football was. So you'd think the 'masterminds' behind your sport would come up with a unique name for it. I concede that the ball itself being called football makes sense, but the sport as a whole should probably be called something different. "

The origin of these things make about as much sense as why anyone would think surstromming is a good idea. Also the 'masterminds' of what you call football AKA soccer actually named their sport soccer yet most non americans still prefer to call it football for some reason. 

#27 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

you silly brits realize that YOU were the ones who came up with "Soccer" 

#28 Posted by Jimmay (1 posts) -

Another reason why it is called football is because any successful drive ends with a kick of the ball. Successful as in not turning the ball over. If you punt the ball you put the other team in bad field position, if you kick a field goal you score points, and if you kick off that means you scored a touchdown.

#29 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -
@DevWil: 
Wow, talk about a douche post. Did you mean to post this in Brad Shoemaker's boxart news post yesterday?
#30 Posted by ajamafalous (11929 posts) -
@jtrov said:
" "Users will also be able to explore all four levels of difficulty and keeping with the latest trend that Crackdown 2 kicked off..."  Huh? All EA Sports games have allowed users to change difficulties. This is no trend, smh... "
He's talking about unlocked achievements in the demo.
#31 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -
@random_guy23 said:
" when will americans finally decide that 'Football' is a bad name for a game in which players use their hands to control the ball? "
when will people stop bringing this up..
#32 Posted by slyely (154 posts) -

I don't know why they are putting out a demo of this...is it so we can see how little it has changed since last year? Or...are they confident that this year brings something new to the series (I'm very doubtful though)? Needless to say, I probably will not be buying this year's Madden. I just don't see the reason to keep buying this game year after year anymore.

#33 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

pretty underwhelming lol

#34 Posted by TPoppaPuff (239 posts) -

malevolence    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.