Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Madden NFL 12

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Aug 30, 2011

EA's long-running NFL series returns with its 2011 release, Madden NFL 12. It features Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis on the cover, who won as a result of fan voting.

Cleveland Browns RB Peyton Hillis Awarded Madden NFL 12 Cover

• 93 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

After an exhaustive 32-man bracket of fan voting fervor, EA finally has its Madden NFL 12 cover man: Browns running back Peyton Hillis. If your first question regarding this is, "Who?" congratulations: you're not from Cleveland.

No Caption Provided
    Hillis shocked the world last season by being a player on the Browns actually worth talking about. His 1,100 yard, 11 TD season sprung out of a 5-11 record for the team. As one of the few lone bright spots on the squad, Hillis quietly amassed a fervent following among the Browns fan base and, over the course of EA Sports and ESPN's voting bracket, actually managed to garner more votes than NFL stars like Falcons QB Matt Ryan, Ravens running back Ray Rice, and Super Bowl XLV MVP Aaron Rodgers.

His final competition was Eagles QB Michael Vick, who became the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year in 2010 after a huge regular season run for Philadelphia that led to a fairly typical Eagles post-season--one of abject disappointment. Vick would have seemed the logical, popular choice, though his chances may have been hurt by the fact that he apparently used to be way into killing dogs for fun and profit.

Hillis now need only avoid the Madden Curse, that long-running superstition that being awarded the coveted cover spot of a Madden NFL game is the endorsement deal equivalent of the Sword of Damocles. Gracing the cover has often led to, at best, a sub-par season for the featured athlete, and at worst, some kind of terrible, career-altering injury.

== TEASER ==Though it's hardly iron-clad proof of any Madden-related hoodoo, stars such as Daunte Culpepper, Eddie George, Marshall Faulk, Donovan McNabb, Ray Lewis and Shaun Alexander have all suffered some manner of misfortune immediately following a cover appearance. Vick himself was once a cover victim as well. After taking the cover spot for Madden NFL 2004, Vick missed 12 games of the season after suffering a broken leg... not to mention all the years of financial turmoil and legal torment that followed after his status as an aficionado of competitive dog murder came to public light.

But hey, Hillis is probably going to be fine, and we here at Giant Bomb would like to offer our congratulations to Peyton and the people of Cleveland, who haven't had it easy in recent years, what with LeBron James and the economy and the suffocating weight of nonstop depression and all that. We also extend our condolences to EA Sports, who now have to figure out how to market a video game with a Cleveland Browns player on the cover. We're sure they'll figure something out.
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

After an exhaustive 32-man bracket of fan voting fervor, EA finally has its Madden NFL 12 cover man: Browns running back Peyton Hillis. If your first question regarding this is, "Who?" congratulations: you're not from Cleveland.

No Caption Provided
    Hillis shocked the world last season by being a player on the Browns actually worth talking about. His 1,100 yard, 11 TD season sprung out of a 5-11 record for the team. As one of the few lone bright spots on the squad, Hillis quietly amassed a fervent following among the Browns fan base and, over the course of EA Sports and ESPN's voting bracket, actually managed to garner more votes than NFL stars like Falcons QB Matt Ryan, Ravens running back Ray Rice, and Super Bowl XLV MVP Aaron Rodgers.

His final competition was Eagles QB Michael Vick, who became the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year in 2010 after a huge regular season run for Philadelphia that led to a fairly typical Eagles post-season--one of abject disappointment. Vick would have seemed the logical, popular choice, though his chances may have been hurt by the fact that he apparently used to be way into killing dogs for fun and profit.

Hillis now need only avoid the Madden Curse, that long-running superstition that being awarded the coveted cover spot of a Madden NFL game is the endorsement deal equivalent of the Sword of Damocles. Gracing the cover has often led to, at best, a sub-par season for the featured athlete, and at worst, some kind of terrible, career-altering injury.

== TEASER ==Though it's hardly iron-clad proof of any Madden-related hoodoo, stars such as Daunte Culpepper, Eddie George, Marshall Faulk, Donovan McNabb, Ray Lewis and Shaun Alexander have all suffered some manner of misfortune immediately following a cover appearance. Vick himself was once a cover victim as well. After taking the cover spot for Madden NFL 2004, Vick missed 12 games of the season after suffering a broken leg... not to mention all the years of financial turmoil and legal torment that followed after his status as an aficionado of competitive dog murder came to public light.

But hey, Hillis is probably going to be fine, and we here at Giant Bomb would like to offer our congratulations to Peyton and the people of Cleveland, who haven't had it easy in recent years, what with LeBron James and the economy and the suffocating weight of nonstop depression and all that. We also extend our condolences to EA Sports, who now have to figure out how to market a video game with a Cleveland Browns player on the cover. We're sure they'll figure something out.
    blackno99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By blackno99

sweet

done with this quest! apologies to Alex for the one word quest grab.
    bslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By bslayer

awesome

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By salad10203

Rigged, there is no way he got more votes than Vick, EA just wasn't ready to deal with all the PETA freaks.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By Soap

Cleveland Brown?

"paaaaaarty over heeeeere!!"
    Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Random88

edit: I didn't even read the article

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By gla55jAw

So awesome. A little sad my Madden Curse page wasn't linked though haha.

Frekydelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Frekydelic

Yes, finally, my Brownies getting some hype!

RWL_MU_OSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By RWL_MU_OSU

This is a result of fantasy football players everywhere who picked up Hillis last year.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zombie2011

WOO CLEVELAND!!!

The only thing we've won. :(
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hot_Karl

The hell happened to Michael Vick goddamn it?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By FrankCanada97

At least they're not Detroit!

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alex
    @gla55jAw:

Fixed!
    Trilleong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Trilleong

I personally didn't care who won the cover, but I had two friends who seems to think the Madden cover is some prestigious award and didn't want Hillis on the cover--one even says he won't buy it if Hillis is on the cover and will soon prove himself a liar--because he didn't "deserve it" so I am pretty happy with this.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

I can't be the only person who read that tile and immediately thought of Family Guy.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ApolloBob

Under construction since 1868

JimmyJackJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By JimmyJackJones

Does anybody even give a damn about who's on the cover of Madden anymore?  I think most people just look for the game with "Madden" on the cover and buy it.  I can't even name the last five cover athletes (though I also haven't really played the last five Maddens).

TheMeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By TheMeat

Hillis actually had a great year last year.  He won a lot of people's fantasy leagues because he was, for the most part, a waiver pickup who ended up being a top-10 (maybe top-5) fantasy scorer.  He got on the cover, because Cleveland and the Browns launched a huge campaign to get him on the cover.  I'm glad they did too, because it saved my man Aaron Rodgers from suffering the dreaded curse!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude

They should just put lawyers and judges on the cover. Or a big bag of Money...

ozone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ozone

And now the Browns have less than no chance of doing anything this season. Good job, Browns fans!

...wait, they have fans, right?
    ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By ConstantRa1n

And now he's cursed. Muuuhahahahahaahahaahaaahaahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By craigbo180

American Football. Cool.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Claude
    @Ozone said:
    " And now the Browns have less than no chance of doing anything this season. Good job, Browns fans!

...wait, they have fans, right?
    "
    They got the Dawg Pound

No Caption Provided
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By recroulette
    @salad10203 said:
    " Rigged, there is no way he got more votes than Vick, EA just wasn't ready to deal with all the PETA freaks. "
    Actually, this shows how insane football fans are. Who would want to vote for their star to be in that spot? "Your favorite player could be possibly injured or have a crappy season, vote now!"
    hagridore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By hagridore

Should have been Vick, he had an amazing turnaround last season.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Nadafinga

Not that I really care, but it's amazing that Aaron Rodgers isn't on the cover this year. That's what fan-voting will getcha, I guess.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Sambambo

Wasn't Vick already on the cover of one? Seems fair to spread the load.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By endaround

Isn't having to play for the Browns curse enough?

CharAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CharAznable

I would have thought that Aaron Rodgers was the logical choice. Meh, whatever.

Also, low blow to Eagles fans, Alex. Low blow.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles
    @salad10203 said:
    "
                    Rigged, there is no way he got more votes than Vick, EA just wasn't ready to deal with all the PETA freaks.
                "

If that was the case they would have just not put him in the running, I didn't see PETA people go nuts over him being the comeback player of the year, anyway congrats to PH         
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By Atlas

It always strikes me as weird that players get on the cover of Madden after just one solid season. Vince Young was on the cover in 08 and hasn't done a damn thing since and is days away from being kicked out of Tennessee. Hillis was pretty amazing to watch last year but I'm not convinced that he has long term potential as a starting running back. Also he runs upright and very aggressively which means he's bound to get a serious injury sooner or later, and what better timing than the year he's on the Madden cover?

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beej
    @salad10203 said:
    " Rigged, there is no way he got more votes than Vick, EA just wasn't ready to deal with all the PETA freaks. "
    I don't think being upset about dog fighting makes you a freak. Sorry if some people aren't willing to forget about that because he's a good football player...
    Yelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Yelix

Would have been awesome to see a Chief on the cover, but now at least it's unlikely that Jamaal Charles will get hurt this season. Or he could be like Priest Holmes and get a season-ending (and career-ending) injury the year after his breakout season without even being on the cover. I sincerely hope it's not the latter.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By gla55jAw
    @alex said:
    " @gla55jAw: Fixed! "
    Thanks!

Peyton Hillis is the man though. I picked him up early in the season for my fantasy team and he killed it just about every week.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35  Edited By Undeadpool

I would've liked to have seen Brooks just cause I think he looks like H. Jon Benjamin when he's got his helmet on.

Avatar image for purple_proletarius
    Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Great White Hope!

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By CastroCasper

Hillis played for the Broncos for a while. He was good stuff.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By EVHKwick

WOO CLEVELAND!

goodlucktj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By goodlucktj
    @RWL_MU_OSU said:
    " This is a result of fantasy football players everywhere who picked up Hillis last year.

"
    this is the correct answer, navarro.

hillis and vick were the two biggest surprises in the 2010 fantasy football season. that's why they were in the finals together. just look over the bracket of players both guys had to beat just to make it to the finals.

sure, anti-vick voters, the brown-stains' fanbase and voters scared of their favorite player getting the madden curse (i'd bet money eagles fans voted for hillis) all had a hand in the win. regardless, the considerable fantasy football fanbase tipped the scales above all.
    SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SquirrelGOD

The idea behind the "Madden Curse" is so unbelievably fucking stupid.  The only people that buy into it are the idiots that talk about the curse, but don't actually pay any attention to football.  Here's the thing:  The players that end up on the cover are always dudes that spend their careers being chased by THREE-HUNDRED POUND MONSTER MEN WHOSE JOB IS TO TACKLE YOU.  There's going to be an injury or two.  It seems like the guy on the cover can't get a damn hangnail without idiots going "MADDEN CURSE!!1!"  Seriously.  It's Football.  Very rarely does anyone make it through a season without any sort of injury, minor or major.

Also, a ton of the so-called "Cursed" players are just players who end up having a shit season.  No injuries.  Even the best players can have a shit season.  It doesn't matter how great you are, if the 10 other players on the field aren't getting their job done, you aren't going to look all that good.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By TheHBK

Wow, this is the lowest point in Madden Football yet.  It is sad.

harrydemeanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By harrydemeanor

I'm still pissed that the Broncos let him go.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EquitasInvictus

That picture in the Madden Curse page is the best:

No Caption Provided
    Good luck to the Browns this season.
    Frank_Mann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Frank_Mann

"an aficionado of competitive dog murder  "

Fantastic. Not hating on Vick, just enjoying some great writing. Also had Hillis in my FFL, dude killed.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Caligula

meh.

there were better choices. I would have said Clay Matthews, Rashard Mendenhall, or Osi Umenyiora

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#46  Edited By Hailinel

I'm guessing that EA Sports doesn't find this whole "vote for the cover athlete" selection process such a good idea, in retrospect.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FourWude

They should have had Cleveland Brown from Stoolbend on the front cover and I might have been interested.

Nah, I still wouldn't have given a shit.

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised Rain didn't end up on the cover if internet voting was involved in the pick.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#49  Edited By skrutop

Dude, as a Steelers fan, I'm dumbfounded that someone from the fucking Browns would ever make the cover.

This is a fucking joke, right?

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By fillmoejoe

Cleveland rocks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.