Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MadWorld

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 10, 2009

MadWorld is an artistically stylized over the top action game for the Wii created by Platinum Games. The main character, Jack, must compete in a kill or be killed TV show called Death Watch and gains points for the most brutal kills he can pull off.

Dissapointed with MadWorld.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By Naughton

Picked up MadWorld this weekend, and I have to say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed. The game does many things right, but I feel that for every step forward, the game takes a few steps back.

Things I liked

• The art style and character design are great. The Sin City-esque art style is an excellent way to get around the technical limitations of the Wii.
    • So much violence. Seeing guys get chopped in half by closing dumpster lids, tossed in meat grinders, or halved with a chainsaw, is pretty awesome.
    • The soundtrack is excellent, and oddly fits the game perfectly. On the default setting it's hard to hear the commentary though.
    • Man Golf. This is by far the best Bloodbath Challenge.

Things I didn't like
    • The camera is terrible. I've read some reviews that referred to it as problematic, but that's giving it too much credit. The camera can't be rotated around Jack, it can only be centered behind him using the C button, and it follows way to closely. Holding down the C button will lock-on to an enemy, but outside of boss fights, it's pretty useless. Sometimes it doesn't even work, forcing you to repeatedly hold down the C button to get a lock on an enemy.
    • The commentary(done by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio) is humorous at first, but takes less than an hour before getting stale. Expect to hear about how health pills are better when crushed up and injected into the folds of your scrotum every couple of minutes. This could have easily been remedied by not having comments played after every single goddammed thing you do. Every time you shove a street sign through a guy's neck, they will comment on it, and with a small bank of comments about impaling a guy, you will hear the same ones over and over, and it really started to get on my nerves.
    • Quick Time Events. I'm ready for these to go away. Forever. QTE's take a lot of punch out of the boss fights in MadWorld. Almost every boss fight in the game boils down to waiting until you get a prompt for the boss' QTE, waggling your Wiimote along with the screen, rinse, repeat.
    • The motorcycle sections suck. plain and simple. The only good part about them is that they don't last very long.
    • Most of the Bloodbath Challenges invole nothing more than grouping guys together, and throwing one into the group, and knocking them all into a Jet Engine, the Death Press, a giant hand, etc.
    • Lack of co-op story mode. I'm not one of those people that complains anytime a game doesn't have co-op. I'm a firm believer of the single-player experiences that games can provide. But co-op is a staple of the beat-em-up genre. And to put in co-op support just for the Bloodbath Challenge mini-games is just not cutting it. This game's replayability could have been exponentially increased with the ability to play with a friend.

Even with all those complaints, MadWorld is a very fun game, and I feel it is definately worth a rental. After my first couple hours with the game, however, I started to just get tired of all the repitition. The visual style and over-the-top gore is MadWorld's main selling point, but in my opinion, that's about all it's packing.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Naughton

Picked up MadWorld this weekend, and I have to say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed. The game does many things right, but I feel that for every step forward, the game takes a few steps back.

Things I liked

• The art style and character design are great. The Sin City-esque art style is an excellent way to get around the technical limitations of the Wii.
    • So much violence. Seeing guys get chopped in half by closing dumpster lids, tossed in meat grinders, or halved with a chainsaw, is pretty awesome.
    • The soundtrack is excellent, and oddly fits the game perfectly. On the default setting it's hard to hear the commentary though.
    • Man Golf. This is by far the best Bloodbath Challenge.

Things I didn't like
    • The camera is terrible. I've read some reviews that referred to it as problematic, but that's giving it too much credit. The camera can't be rotated around Jack, it can only be centered behind him using the C button, and it follows way to closely. Holding down the C button will lock-on to an enemy, but outside of boss fights, it's pretty useless. Sometimes it doesn't even work, forcing you to repeatedly hold down the C button to get a lock on an enemy.
    • The commentary(done by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio) is humorous at first, but takes less than an hour before getting stale. Expect to hear about how health pills are better when crushed up and injected into the folds of your scrotum every couple of minutes. This could have easily been remedied by not having comments played after every single goddammed thing you do. Every time you shove a street sign through a guy's neck, they will comment on it, and with a small bank of comments about impaling a guy, you will hear the same ones over and over, and it really started to get on my nerves.
    • Quick Time Events. I'm ready for these to go away. Forever. QTE's take a lot of punch out of the boss fights in MadWorld. Almost every boss fight in the game boils down to waiting until you get a prompt for the boss' QTE, waggling your Wiimote along with the screen, rinse, repeat.
    • The motorcycle sections suck. plain and simple. The only good part about them is that they don't last very long.
    • Most of the Bloodbath Challenges invole nothing more than grouping guys together, and throwing one into the group, and knocking them all into a Jet Engine, the Death Press, a giant hand, etc.
    • Lack of co-op story mode. I'm not one of those people that complains anytime a game doesn't have co-op. I'm a firm believer of the single-player experiences that games can provide. But co-op is a staple of the beat-em-up genre. And to put in co-op support just for the Bloodbath Challenge mini-games is just not cutting it. This game's replayability could have been exponentially increased with the ability to play with a friend.

Even with all those complaints, MadWorld is a very fun game, and I feel it is definately worth a rental. After my first couple hours with the game, however, I started to just get tired of all the repitition. The visual style and over-the-top gore is MadWorld's main selling point, but in my opinion, that's about all it's packing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

So basically, from what I'm reading...the game has a great look and feel to it, but it gets repetitive as fuck like most Dreamcast games?

I hope the answer is yes...
    Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Naughton

Basically. Style over substance.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By jeff
    Naughton said:
    "Basically. Style over substance."

Agreed.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

Seems like everyone loves the art style, but the main reason I haven't even looked into that game is because it's just hard to look at.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By EvilTwin

I haven't actually played MadWorld yet, but just to comment on your last point.  I feel that either a game is meant to be played co-op (a la Left 4 Dead), or has co-op shoehorned in (a la Fable II).  There are some games that maybe provide a bit of a happy medium, but in general, games that are meant to be played co-op have single-player experiences that suffer for it.  So I have no problem with a single-player only campaign in MadWorld.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Bulldog19892
    Jeff said:
    "Naughton said:

Agreed.
    "
    Can we take this as foreshadowing of the review score? I'm going to assume it won't get five stars.
    Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thusian

I found a little more to love.  I enjoy the playground style and I enter a level trying to hit the highest level of the combo meter. Currently the highest I get is super, multiple signs through face, barrel or mask, cut off arms and impale repeatedly on spike.   Once I exhaust that I will just do some different kills on dudes using the different environment and weapons I have opened up and my basic chainsaw.  Only about half way through the game did I discover the Death Watch challenges given to you at the beginning of the level i.e. get three bull masks, so I am going back through the stages trying to complete each of those. I won't say the gripes are not valid, but a person can avoid repetition if the move around the levels enough.  Finally new enemy types like those who regenerate limbs do add a level of challenge.  Also the bike parts did not bother me, but they reminded me of Road Rash and I loved me some Road Rash.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
    Jeff said:
    "Naughton said:

Agreed.
    "

i think Jeff just broke the review embargo : )
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

I feel that some games manage to be really good just because of the style. Prince of Persia is a good example - the combat was bad and the game was easy as hell, but I really enjoyed it because of the superb art direction, sound, animation and storytelling. Is this the case with MadWorld?

Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

I guess you don't like classic games like Smash TV.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Alexander
    Cynical_Gamer said:
    "I guess you don't like classic games like Smash TV."
    Smash TV is $5
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have to agree, certainly not entirely though. The game has some really annoying flaws, flaws which should simply not be there, but it's still a enjoyable game none the less. It should have been far better though!, and easily could have been I think. PlatinumGames have made some really bad design decisions.

• The bike sections were a major let down for me, I was expecting something on par with that scene in Akira, but instead it's basically a way too shallow means of traversing to the next location. The fact is I can think of many inclusions that would have aided the gameplay in them.

• The camera lock on is plain dumb, and camera controls are woefully bad, For a game of this type it's a serious failing.

• Multiplayer is very shallow, I was expecting so much more from it. I heard it was weak, but I did not expect it to be this weak.

• Enemies NPC AI is weak, even in the later stages when their AI seems to be actually turned on. (default difficulty)

• Annoying repetition in commentary. The sound can be very confusing at times. Men shouting + Hip Hop blaring + sports commentary!  = another day in the hood?. It's way too overpowering and tantamount to white noise, There's simply no moderation.. How could they make such an obvious mistake I wonder : ?

The game for me is far more enjoyable in hard mode when a real test of skill is put your way, but instead PG have used a weaker default difficulty as some sort of testing ground for combos, when really a extensive tutorial mode would have been ample.

PS:

F**K you Jakob!, DREAMCAST GAMES ARE AWESOME!. What are you on about as far as that lame repetitive comment?  I'm still playing many of them to this day. Truly great games never grow old, and the Dreamcast has many great games that have a great deal of re-playability factor.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I love it. I don't see it as style over substance at all. Awesome beat-em-up action.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I love it. I don't see it as style over substance at all. Awesome beat-em-up action."

I'm not going to dispute that, I agree, but surely you can see that there are some clear flaws with the game, flaws that prevent it from being a better game.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
    Linkyshinks said:
    "The game for me is far more enjoyable in hard mode when a real test of skill is put your way, but instead PG have used a weaker default difficulty as some sort of testing ground for combos, when really a extensive tutorial mode would have been ample."
    Is the Hard mode available from start, or do you have to unlock it?
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "I love it. I don't see it as style over substance at all. Awesome beat-em-up action."
    I'm not going to dispute that, I agree, but surely you can see that there are some clear flaws with the game, flaws that prevent it from being a better game."
    Sure, but there hasn't been a game I played that hasn't had those. MadWorld's only issues with me are some camera problems (not a ton, I guess I figured out how to manipulate it quickly) and length. The only times I've really noticed commentator repeats is during Bloodbath Challenges, and even then it doesn't bug me as much. It was inevitable; if they wanted it to seem like a real sport, where the commentators wouldn't shut up, and there's only so much dialogue they can record.

I will say that it definitely is not style over substance to me. There's plenty of substance that I've seen.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brukaoru

MadWorld was disappointing for me as well, but I actually didn't really have a problem with the camera and I didn't mind the quick time events, I thought the QTE's were balanced enough where it wasn't enough of them to be annoying to me. The most problematic thing for me in the game was the constant use of canned animations. Repeating the same exact way to kill an enemy off gets really repetittive. If they were all unique animations, it would just be so much better. I agree that the commentators become stale. Also, I didn't mind the motorcycle sections myself. I can't fault the game for not having co-op, I don't really see that as a requirement, but online co-op would certainly have added more replay value for it.

There's some good things to be found underneath it's flaws, but it's unfortunate that the flaws are so noticeable.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo

I knew it wouldn't be good once I saw the quick look showing the mediocre gameplay.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Meowayne

Vinchenzo, don't make yourself look stupid by judging a game by a "quick look".

I am positively surprised by the game. It's unbelievable how satisfying kills and finishers are when combined with simple and effective gestures. And the finisher for the second boss? That alone is worth 50 bucks.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Meowayne said:
    Lots of people do, so I'll keep looking stupid and save my money for games that are worth buying.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meowayne
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Meowayne said:
    Lots of people do, so I'll keep looking stupid and save my money for games that are worth buying."
    Ignorant fanboy is ignorant.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Meowayne said:
    "Vinchenzo, don't make yourself look stupid by judging a game by a "quick look".I am positively surprised by the game. It's unbelievable how satisfying kills and finishers are when combined with simple and effective gestures. And the finisher for the second boss? That alone is worth 50 bucks."
    You just sound very easily pleased.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Meowayne said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "Meowayne said:
    Lots of people do, so I'll keep looking stupid and save my money for games that are worth buying."
    Ignorant fanboy is ignorant."
    Ignorant? I at least gave it a chance by watching the quick look. Even then, the only thing that kept me awake was the commentary by the staff of GB.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    I'm not going to dispute that, I agree, but surely you can see that there are some clear flaws with the game, flaws that prevent it from being a better game."
    Sure, but there hasn't been a game I played that hasn't had those. MadWorld's only issues with me are some camera problems (not a ton, I guess I figured out how to manipulate it quickly) and length. The only times I've really noticed commentator repeats is during Bloodbath Challenges, and even then it doesn't bug me as much. It was inevitable; if they wanted it to seem like a real sport, where the commentators wouldn't shut up, and there's only so much dialogue they can record.

I will say that it definitely is not style over substance to me. There's plenty of substance that I've seen.
    "

Dude, i'm not saying it's that, I think that's statement is BS myself. I recall my GOTY and one of my favorite games of all time, No More Heroes.  

The game does have more flaws than I think you may be willing to admit, but where I agree with you is that despite these niggling flaws the game still awesome> In hard mode, which should have been available from the get go.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kohe321

I felt it looked a little repetetive in the quick look Jeff did, but still awesome. I think I'll buy it anyways, there seems to be a lot over the top fun to be had in it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By jakob187
    Naughton said:
    Jeff said:
    "Naughton said:
    Agreed."
    So can I say that I called this one from a mile away?!?!?!

And Linky...I never said I didn't enjoy SOME Dreamcast games.  However, as many can attest, a lot of the games were extremely repetitive and got to the point that they were no fun after about 3 hours of gameplay.

The same could be said of the Genesis AND the Saturn.

While I loved the systems, they were still too repetitive with little to no substance or replay value.

I called it for MadWorld when everyone else was claiming it to be something like the Second Coming...so I'm using the opportunity to rub it in for people.

That's not to say people won't enjoy the game for a while.  The reviews coming out for it have been fairly good.  I'm just saying...I don't see much replay value in it...
    Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

I sort of expected it to be disappointing.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zitosilva

Huh, too bad it isn't pleasing the crowds unanimously. I was hoping it would be the kind of awesome that everyone agrees with ans start dancing in the streets.
    Still, my copy has not arrived. I'll wait and see for myself.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowayne
    jakob187 said:
    I called it for MadWorld when everyone else was claiming it to be something like the Second Coming...so I'm using the opportunity to rub it in for people.
    I have used several occasions to cast doubt over the Madworld hype because the game seemed very repetative and bland to me. Now I am positively surprised and intriguied by the game.

Peace is restored to the universe.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Emilio

I just got the game, and I feel let down by it. I only played up to the first boss, but compared to older beat 'em ups, this game just doesn't have anything.
    But I can forgive Platinum Games for it. They're a new team, with a new game, and a very low budget.

Pageboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pageboy
    @Emilio: I feel the same. Got the game about 3 months ago, played for 20mins, and haven't put it back in. 
    I was expecting a better game after various reviews online.
    Oh well, I'll turn my Wii back on for Dragon Quest X !

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.