Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Chapter 8 gamebreaking bug (no spoilers)

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bwmcmaste

As I was playing through "The Wild Ones", I encountered a bug that I cannot seem to reconcile by simply restarting the mission. When I am in the back of the truck: Joe will either walk far away from the truck, or he will just stand off to the side. The result is: When I go to grab a carton of cigarettes: both characters just freeze and the rest of the world continues operating as normal. If I try to restart the mission: My game crashes, and the only way to restart the mission is to quit to the main screen and start from there. 

Has anyone else encountered this bug? I attempted to find any similar mention of this issue through Google, but was unsuccessful.  

System specifications:  
    Asus Crosshair III Formula
    AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 
    4GB DDR3 RAM 
    2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire 

Game running mostly on full settings, excluding the PhysX (for obvious reasons), which is running at Medium.

Avatar image for deactivated-590e87b419de4
    deactivated-590e87b419de4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm just played the chapter on X360 and had no problems ...  

I'm not sure about this but I think ATI cards doesnt support PhysX at all .. So maybe disabling it could solve your problem ?

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bwmcmaste
    I appear to have found my resolution: I checked the cache integrity through Steam, and it managed to find the files that my installation was missing.  

@marcandrer
    said:

I'm not sure about this but I think ATI cards doesnt support PhysX at all .. So maybe disabling it could solve your problem ?

"
    Indeed they do not (PhysX is an Nvidia property, and is not available to their competitors), but I am still able to run PhysX on Medium. It has been posted elsewhere that PhysX, when enabled on an ATI system, will run off of the CPU. Although this creates a steep drop in frame rate; I have found it a generally tolerable exchange for the overall enhancement to the experience. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.