Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Just tested this game out on OnLive.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

It may be the fact that I didn't get far enough into it, but as far as I got within 30 minutes (and aside from OnLives compressed visuals), I thought it was great. The music was fantastic, graphics were great, story though not entirely original was exceptionally told making the characters believable, the world is immersive in a cinematic way, and the overall game play was just fun. From what I gather, the problems are that there isn't much to do in the world so it kind of feels stripped? I don't know if I would mind that. Should I get this game? Not to hate on anyone's review, but I'm going to have to agree with GameSpot's review on this one so far.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

The aesthetic of the game is great, and you can really get into it. Nolan North runs rampant in the streets too. But yeah the open world is just there to be. Unfortunately there isn't really any reason to go exploring off the beaten path, even though the city itself is filled with a good amount of detail. If it's super cheap, sure pick it up. It's worth checking out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@wolf_blitzer85: By the way, I'm asking if I should buy it on 360 or PS3. I'm not actually going to buy any game off OnLive just yet, I'm only testing it out. I think that's all I have to say... I thought I wanted to say or ask something else. Oh well, if I remember, I will. Anyways, it's good to know the quality is great. Yeah, I noticed Nolan North in it already ha ha.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

Nolan North talking to Nolan North

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

@Dany: Yeah, I remember that.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

@NTM said:

@Dany: Yeah, I remember that.

I made it :D

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By JoeyRavn

The problem I had with Mafia II is that the game is less than the sum of its parts. Settings? Awesome. Characters? Really well written. Story? Classic, a bit clichéd, but very good nevertheless. But the gameplay is barely there, your standard-ass cover-based TPS. And the city, while brimming with detail, is mostly left untouched. Don't come to the game expecting a 1950's Liberty City, there's nothing to do besides collecting some issues of Playboy and some wanted posters. If you approach Mafia II as a heavily story-driven game, it's great. If you come expecting something barely resembling a sandbox game, you'll be disappointed.

Oh, and then there's the DLCs... Stay away from them. They lack the strong points of the main story (that is, mainly, a coherent plot): they are just a succession of score-focused arcade missions with a very barebones connective tissue.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hoossy

@NTM: it's... ok....

The shooting portions are fabulous... Some of the cutscenes are fun. But the world is bare.

And I LOVED the first Mafia, it just doesn't feel like they advanced the game enough since the first one... I consider it a rental.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Excellent $20 game. Anything over $20 is pushing it. It's the same way I feel about Alpha Protocol.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@CL60: It is retarded. Not the video, just that they make him talk to himself.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@JoeyRavn: Yeah, that's good. I mean, I like sandbox games, but if it has a good story, and a greatly detailed city (even if it has little to do in it other than the main story), I'm all for it. As of now, I'm not expecting an open world game to play like GTA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.