Mafia II Demo!

• -1 results
#51 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@ZimboDK said:

" Timer hack found!  Fire up your favorite hex editor, open the Mafia2.exe file, go to offset  000F5380, look for  D9 56 4C, change to 90 90 90, save, and fire up the game. I just tested it, and it seems to work just fine. Played for about 20 minutes. "

Thanks for the tip.  

My impressions, copy and pasted from the screenshot thread: 

Things I liked:  

- Overall, the game looks nice
- Vegetation is some of the best I've ever seen  
- Main character is well textured and animated 
- Good atmosphere 
- Good voicework on the main characters 
- Cinematic style that somewhat works 
- Decent performance (considering how large the world is) 
- The small level featured in the demo showed decent level design

Things I didn't like: 

- There is some sort of weird yellowish orange filter; can't decide if I like it or not.       
- Character models and voicework are reused waaay too often, though that may be a consequence of it being a demo. 
- Driving is pretty bad 
- Difficulty is a little high (you will sometimes feel "1-shotted") 
- Shooting seems like it would grow stale fast 
- Death animations are sometimes silly, and seem to repeat a lot.  
- Benchmark is bugged; showed 20fps without PhysX, but actual gameplay was ~45-50fps with PhysX on (at max settings)
- PhysX has minimal impact on visuals (physics is already present with PhysX off; PhysX simply seems to add some particle effects)    
#52 Posted by MatPaget (1115 posts) -

the Playstation Store hasnt updated yet =(

#53 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
@ZimboDK said:
" Timer hack found!  Fire up your favorite hex editor, open the Mafia2.exe file, go to offset  000F5380, look for  D9 56 4C, change to 90 90 90, save, and fire up the game. I just tested it, and it seems to work just fine. Played for about 20 minutes. "
Because the demo has been released through Steam, they can just update the demo with a fix for this when they realise what people are doing, right?
#54 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -
@Gizmo: Sure, and a few hours later it will be hacked again.
#55 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I believe the demo area is very limited anyway (relative to the full size of the game) so I doubt that they will patch the timer loophole. 

#56 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Just got off the PS3 demo and it feels like a really, really cheap port. Downloading the Xbox demo now to see if it's any better. I hope it is because this was gonna be a day one purcahse for me.

#57 Posted by Cincaid (2955 posts) -
@girdz:
Ack! Keep me updated on the 360 version please...you're making me nervous :(
#58 Edited by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Just played the Xbox 360 version.  Not sure what some of these people are talking about.  I don't doubt that the visuals won't be up to par with somebody playing the PC version on a high-end computer, but to call the console versions (or at least the 360 version) a "really, really cheap port" is wrong and terribly misleading.  The game runs pretty solid and my only complaints are some that I feel would be in all versions of the game - as well as in other games of the genre like Red Dead and GTAIV.  The movement, specifically on foot and indoors, is clunky.  The cover system is good, and I like that it's mapped so that you press one button to enter and the same button to exit.  Driving felt alright, maybe like a more lenient GTAIV.

#59 Posted by Binman88 (3685 posts) -

Game looks incredibly nice and sharp on my PC. PhysX seemed to progressively bog down the frame rate, despite offloading all PhysX processing solely to my second GTX280. I hope it's something a driver update can fix, because without PhysX enabled, the game runs smooth as silk. I'm also really liking the character models and facial animations, and the voice acting is pretty darn good too. I'm actually really looking forward to this game now, and actually gonna preorder it tonight. It's nice to see a PC game that doesn't feel one bit like a shoddy console port.

#60 Posted by void (50 posts) -

I upgraded my nvidia drivers to version 258.96 and I feel the performance got even worse (I had version 257 something before).  Anyone else experienced this? I have a GTX 470.   Sometimes the FPS drops to around 20, but most of the time it is around 40-50 fps with everything on highest. The drops to 20 are really annoying.

#61 Posted by J0n3s1 (295 posts) -

I played both versions and both runned kinda bad about 25 fps.

#62 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

Played the ps3 version and I loved it. Was easy enough to look past its technical difficulties. If I could adore Dragon Age on consoles I'm sure Mafia 2 will be like a slice of heaven ;P

#63 Posted by pbhawks45 (736 posts) -

I really enjoyed the demo. I wish the timer would have been a little longer, though. The frame rate reminded me of Far Cry 2. Solid 30 for a majority of the time, but there was one time where it dipped. Hell, even Uncharted 2 had its frame rate problems.

#64 Posted by void (50 posts) -
@void said:
" I upgraded my nvidia drivers to version 258.96 and I feel the performance got even worse (I had version 257 something before).  Anyone else experienced this? I have a GTX 470.   Sometimes the FPS drops to around 20, but most of the time it is around 40-50 fps with everything on highest. The drops to 20 are really annoying. "
Nevermind. I just turned off AA and everything runs smooth now at 80-90 fps, drops to 30-40 during intense fights but its OK.   There is no visual difference between AA enabled and AA disabled, so I recommend you to turn off AA and gain an additional 20 fps for free. Its nice to be able to have PhysX at high, all glass shatters and the individual pieces are simulated and bounces off of surfaces. Awesome.
#65 Posted by SythonX7 (134 posts) -

Played the PC version, ran as good as I could expect on my PC enjoyed it more than I thought I would, almost pre-ordered on Steam but decided against it because I still have a massive catalogue of games to finish as it is, though I'll probably end up pre-ordering anyways knowing me : )    

#66 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Randy Marsh, I'll follow you anywhere.

#67 Posted by gike987 (1752 posts) -
@Geno:  Driving is always bad with keyboard and mouse. With my xbox controller the driving was perfect. I've also heard that the game will support steering wheels.
#68 Posted by AsianSwagger (151 posts) -

Feels too much like a generic 3rd person shooter. 

#69 Posted by void (50 posts) -
@pbhawks45: You can override the time limit by modifying the game exe with a hex editor, or just download a modified exe. Read below.

@ZimboDK said:

Timer hack found! 

Fire up your favorite hex editor, open the Mafia2.exe file, go to offset  000F5380, look for  D9 56 4C, change to 90 90 90, save, and fire up the game. I just tested it, and it seems to work just fine. Played for about 20 minutes. 

EDIT: Or get my modified .exe from Megaupload.
#70 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@endless_void said:
" Tomorrow?!?!?!?! AWESOME  I was expecting it to be an after-launch demo. Thankfully it isn't ^_^ "
That's what i thought too I'm excited to play the demo lol.
#71 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5253 posts) -

Awesome just downloaded this and hoping to sneak in a  quick game before work!

#72 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@gike987: I have an Xbox controller, and while you are correct that driving is awkward with KB+M, the bad driving was attributable to more than just that. Almost all of the cars have a tremendous amount of oversteer. Maybe it's like that "to fit the times" though, not sure. Didn't really find the driving parts enjoyable regardless. 
#73 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Geno:  I agree with everything you've said so far in this post and the last.

The grass outside the home is very nice, I did get one-shotted twice, the cars do have too much oversteer, I like the death animations / physics though, and I didn't have any performance bugs with the benchmark versus the real thing.  I agree that the PhysX effects don't add much, the only thing I noticed was the glass shards, and they don't look quite right.

I feel like a lot of the animations in gameplay feel stiff though, and the face animations in cutscenes could be better (needs performance capture).
#74 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -
@MatPaget said:
" the Playstation Store hasnt updated yet =( "
#75 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

@void said:

" @pbhawks45: You can override the time limit by modifying the game exe with a hex editor, or just download a modified exe. Read below.

@ZimboDK said:

Timer hack found! 

Fire up your favorite hex editor, open the Mafia2.exe file, go to offset  000F5380, look for  D9 56 4C, change to 90 90 90, save, and fire up the game. I just tested it, and it seems to work just fine. Played for about 20 minutes. 

EDIT: Or get my modified .exe from  Megaupload.
"
  File description: Duder! 

Thanks! Don't forget to stop the demo from updating itself inside Steam because they're sure to patch this just like Just Cause 2 demo.
#76 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

PC version runs great! I'm gonna try the PS3 version next.

#77 Posted by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

I tried the demo and it's not appealing to me at all. I don't like the style of those years and I sure as hell didn't enjoy the stereotypical mafia boss yelling every 10 seconds "VITO DO FUCKING SOMETHING VITO VITO VITO VITO". 

FEH.

#78 Posted by Bobdaman18 (700 posts) -

I really liked it, never played the first mafia but i'll pick this one up when it can be had for $40-30ish probably.  I like the time period plus i got a kick out of a cop pulling me over, asking me to get out of the vehicle, and then writing me a ticket.
#79 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Bobdaman18 said:

" I really liked it, never played the first mafia but i'll pick this one up when it can be had for $40-30ish probably.  I like the time period plus i got a kick out of a cop pulling me over, asking me to get out of the vehicle, and then writing me a ticket. "

Do you get to refuse search consent and have them detain you for hours while they call in the k-9 unit?

I'll be pissed if they leave out "driving while black" penalties in the next San Andreas.
#80 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I enjoyed that demo.

#81 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

PSN still hasn't updated. I want to play this and Scott Pilgrim!!

#82 Posted by Daveyo520 (6676 posts) -

I have no interest in this game at all....

#83 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -
@ZimboDK said:
"AA on or off doesn't really seem to make a difference though, it's really jaggy."
This is my one complaint with the demo.  I couldn't even tell if the AA option was doing anything or not (my hunch was not), and the jaggies are a real bummer on such an otherwise great looking game. 

I dig the rest of it.
#84 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
" I have no interest in this game at all.... "
Cool? ...
#85 Posted by Daveyo520 (6676 posts) -
@CL60: Just saying
#86 Posted by The_Joker (223 posts) -

Checkpoints could be a little more frequent. I'll say that much.

#87 Posted by gike987 (1752 posts) -

I like the attention to details. Like when you rob a store and there will be police officers there afterwards, taking notes about the crime.

#88 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
@The_Joker: Ryan said the same thing after playing the game at GDC. I thought they would've fixed that by now...
#89 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
@The_Joker said:
" Checkpoints could be a little more frequent. I'll say that much. "
Agreed.  I feel like this problem mixed with the fact that you're health goes down QUICK in this game will lead to a shitload of frustration in the full game.
#90 Posted by Flaime (527 posts) -

I'm pretty excited about this. The driving seemed a little floaty though, and yes, more checkpoints (might just be a demo issue.)

#91 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

Can't wait until PSN updates its store.

#92 Posted by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

My directx takes forever to update, DAMN YOU PC GAMING.

Ok it only takes 2 minutes but thats way too long for someone whos impatient.

#93 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@CrazyChris: It's marginally better than the PS3 version, it looks a bit better and runs slightly smoother, although I don't think it ever went above 30 fps. From what I've seen PC is the way to go. I'm going to try the demo there too and see for myself.

The main problem I have with the visuals is everything looks very jagged and in previews everything was clean.

I know I'm being hard on the game but it's only because I have such high expectations of it.
#94 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@void said:
" @pbhawks45: You can override the time limit by modifying the game exe with a hex editor, or just download a modified exe. Read below.

@ZimboDK said:

Timer hack found! 

EDIT: Or get my modified .exe from Megaupload.
"
I downloaded that. Now my game just crashes every time I click play.
#95 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I hope there is a demo for the pc version.

"
there is.
#96 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Played it on the PC...seems ok. I'll wait for reviews see if there's any replay value.

#97 Posted by Izick (141 posts) -

I LOVED THIS DEMO!!!!

I love the whole Italian Mafia culture, I've seen The Godfather, Goodfellas, Sopranos, Cake Boss etc., but I have to say, even without the awesome Italian Mafia elements in the game, the gameplay is really fun and fluid, and the graphics....fuggedaboutit, they are really colorful and fleshed out.

14 more days!!!

#98 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" Randy Marsh, I'll follow you anywhere. "
we love you randy 
make love to me randy, please  

*insert old woman picture here*
#99 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

Grabbed it off Steam, fired it up, and remembered how much I loved the original Mafia. 

I thought the demo was pretty standard for a third person action game, but lots of little touches separated it from the pack. Tons of detail is packed into the world. IMO, though, the driving is pretty balls. I'll try again later with a gamepad and see if it's any better, which I imagine it will be.

#100 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

wheres the nudey mag? i can't find it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.