Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Mafia II Demo!

• 165 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#101  Edited By Yummylee
    @niamahai said:
    " wheres the nudey mag? i can't find it. "
    The first one's on the kitchen side in your apartment. The second you'll come across when heading down the factory when it's on fire.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By CL60

Really? No word of a lie. I heard Nolan North.

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By ErrorOperator

I was excited to download this as i was on the fence whether or not to rent it, but you have to be a gold subscriber to play it!

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Lawrens

Tried the ps3 demo, the framerate is kind of bad overall, probably has to do with me only doing the story mission it provided, because it ran fine outdoor which I barely spent any time on, there are a lot of jaggies, lighting is ok, looks kind of dull indoor, the tree/bush textures seems to be always facing you, they spin along if you spin your camera.... tearing was bad, but the models are well done, I like the music in that game. 

Controls and gunfight takes a little to get used to, I think the cover and sticky is kind of clunky, but it's playable, nothing spectacular but I liked it, but not enough for me to buy the game for 60bucks.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By CL60

Okay my last post, confirmed. Just walked into 2 guys on the street. And it was Nolan North having a conversation with Nolan North.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By FunExplosions
    @CL60 said:
    " Okay my last post, confirmed. Just walked into 2 guys on the street. And it was Nolan North having a conversation with Nolan North. "
    Hahahah. Gonna go listen for him.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By fjordson

After trying it on all three, the PS3 version is definitely the worst performing of the bunch. 360 isn't perfect by any means; there's some bad screen tearing, especially in your apartment, and the framerate isn't terribly solid.

PC version performs pretty great. Looks sharp and the PhysX stuff is really cool. I love me some XBL achievements, but I'll probably just pick this up on Steam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ZimboDK said:
    " Timer hack found!

Fire up your favorite hex editor, open the Mafia2.exe file, go to offset  000F5380, look for  D9 56 4C, change to 90 90 90, save, and fire up the game. I just tested it, and it seems to work just fine. Played for about 20 minutes.

EDIT: Or get my modified .exe from Megaupload. "
    Duder!  Thanks for the hack.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InfamousBIG said:
    " @ZimboDK said:
    " Timer hack found!

Fire up your favorite hex editor, open the Mafia2.exe file, go to offset  000F5380, look for  D9 56 4C, change to 90 90 90, save, and fire up the game. I just tested it, and it seems to work just fine. Played for about 20 minutes.

Duder!  Thanks for the hack. "
    Yo man can you upload the original .exe because like CL60 every time I click start game I CTD. 

I'm such a dumbass, I created a backup folder for the .exe but forgot to copy the .exe into it, lol.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By niamahai
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @niamahai said:
    The first one's on the kitchen side in your apartment. The second you'll come across when heading down the factory when it's on fire. "
    thanks!

"THE BUILDING IS ONE FIRE! SAVE THE NUDEY MAG!"
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By CL60
    @InfamousBIG said:

" @InfamousBIG said:

" @ZimboDK said:
    " Timer hack found!

Duder!  Thanks for the hack. "
    Yo man can you upload the original .exe because like CL60 every time I click start game I CTD.  I'm such a dumbass, I created a backup folder for the .exe but forgot to copy the .exe into it, lol. "
    I had to reinstall. But I managed to get it working by editing the EXE myself. Time is unlimited now.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#112  Edited By Sooperspy
    @Abyssfull said:

" @niamahai said:

The first one's on the kitchen side in your apartment. The second you'll come across when heading down the factory when it's on fire. "
    The third is in the diner in the southernmost part of the map, the fourth in one of the clothing shops, and 5th in the gun shop.

Oh and the PS store finally updated and liked the demo, and Scott Pilgrim is amazing.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#113  Edited By mikemcn
    @niamahai said:

" @Abyssfull said:

" @niamahai said:
    thanks! "THE BUILDING IS ONE FIRE! SAVE THE NUDEY MAG!" "
    Theres more than that, one in a diner, one in the weapons shop, one in the clothing shop, possibly one in the bar and one in another store but i cant remember which.

Believe me, i made sure to collect them all! (Thats actually my least favorite part of the game, its kinda unnecessary, but whatever, i won't complain) And now i'll leave you with this.....

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By warxsnake

donno if anyone mentioned it, theres an unlimited time patch for the PC demo for those who want to check out the world a little more.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By niamahai
    @Mikemcn: 
    how much did the cop 'fined' you for that lolz

despite clearly its the trucker's fault.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Hourai

Pros:   

• Good story. 
    • Really captured the feel of the 1950s.
    • Cops aren't telepathic, e.g. you can run away from the scene of the crime before cops show up and get away with it. 
    • You don't get killed for something minor like punching somebody. There's three levels. First being a fine, second being arrest, and third getting shot at.  
    • Melee combat is a lot of fun. 
    • Great music. 
    • Interesting characters.  
    • Some of the environment (like pillars) is destructible.  
    • Lots of interesting stuff in town. People are selling newspapers, chatting to eachother, and there's even a dude that will shine your shoes.  
    • If you aim your gun at a shopkeeper, you can steal stuff in the store by pressing A on it. 
    • When your vehicle is damaged, you can go to the hood of your car and repair the engine.

Cons: 

• Janky looking graphics when outdoors. 
    • No jumping. 
    • Shooting doesn't feel very satisfying.  
    • Getting drunk doesn't do anything besides blur your vision when standing still.  
    • I'm not sure if it's just the demo, but I couldn't enter any water.  
    • Controls feel a little strange. Might just be because of all the Mass Effect I've been playing. 

Overall, I'm impressed with the game. It's a definite purchase for me. 
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By mikeeegeee

Murdered the bartender. Ran away. Came back. Bar was roped off with police tape. fuck yeah.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#119  Edited By jkz

So out of curiosity, is it pretty much agreed that the console versions don't run very well? It seemed to run really well on my PC until I went to do the mission. Once I got inside the factory, the framerate dropped pretty startlingly, which was a bit disconcerting considering how well my PC runs most games at an outstanding clip (mostly maxed out Crysis included). 

This might just be another game that sways me back towards PC gaming. For a while I'd become a primarily console gamer, but recently I've been playing most of my single-player games on my PC.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Malakhii
    @mikeeegeee: Wow, it's moments like that which can help make a game great (not saying this will be, just saying little details like that are really awesome)  

I don't have access to my 360 this week. The delay in playing this and Monday Night Combat sucks. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pepeman said:
    " Played to 360 version and gotta say that technically it's not that impressive, sure there is a lot of attention to detail and models look great etc. But the game runs poorly: under 30fps pretty much the whole time, it makes the shooting and driving more frustrating that it already is. Also i hardly ever mind jaggies and screen-tearing but i gotta say Mafia 2 really suffers from both of those in a big way.    I hope that this is an old e3 demo or something and the technical hiccups are corrected in the final version ( doubt it ). Shame really, cos'  both the time period and the story seems interesting and very well put together. "
    this
    plumeria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By plumeria

The anticipation is killing me.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Milkman

This game is bad. It's a poor product. The shooting feels like shit. The driving feels like shit. Maybe the story is cool but I really don't see the hype. It's the same mechanics of GTA that are now very outdated but coupled with even worse shooting and driving.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Just played the 360 demo and I have to say that I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. I love the setting, the characters and the game is pretty nice to look at in areas but techinically, the game is a little off.

Character model collision for example is something that bugged me. It just seemed that some pedestrians had some sort of invisible barrier/bubble surrounding them. It's almost as if they do not trust the player to be careful enough not to accidently hit the neutral AI. They're almost admitting that the game's controls are sluggish by adding little precautions like this and for me, it sort of takes away something from the experience. For example, when I was being chased by the cops in GTA IV - I loved it when my car hit a bump in the road or a random object and rolled/slid off the road into an unsuspecting pedestrian. It was a consequence leading from another.  Just adds to the experience in my opinion.

I also had a problem with the all important third person shooting system and the in-game physics which occur as a result of your gunfire. I thought the aiming was a tad bit clunky, which makes sense because the guns back then weren't exactly perfect but even so.....but another thing that annoyed me was when you shot someone dead on (sometimes in the head) the enemy would continue to run to cover showing no sign of a struggle, yet shouting 'aaah!' or 'bastard shot me'. The same goes for when you, yourself are shot and you get the typical blurry, darkened screen indicating that you are close to death and need to find cover before you grey out and die. Always found this to be very gamey and to be honest, it does not fit in with the realism, which the game works so hard to portray. The system is a good one - just not for this type of game.

Driving feels wrong too...it isn't exactly Forza Motorsport, lets just say that lol

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The pc version looks good, I feel sorry for those that doesn't have the option to buy it if they want to buy it.   

Screens are at 720p, small, lacks detail and less impressive, however any bigger ppl will complain they can't see it or something. I still think there is nothing wrong with the pc version, it's like exactly the way it was intended.  

Dispite what ppl are saying about the graphics, i'm not seeing it, to me it looks fantastic.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Graphics are irrelevant. They're just a nice bonus if the game plays well. Which this sadly, does not.

lawlerballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By lawlerballer

Been playing the demo on the PC for a couple hours now(timehack = win :D ) and I really couldn't find anything bad at all, it was very impressive. The attention to detail in this game is crazy even to the little things, graphics are superb and it runs beautifully too. The driving felt really good, I think the people complaining about the driving seem to forget these are cars from the 50's your driving, not modern day cars so they are going to handle a lot differently. The shooting and cover system handled well too, guns felt and sounded good and again I don't see what people are complaining about, unless there is some sort of problem with the console versions.  

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By tsolless

I'm a sucker for open world games and also am a sucker for mafia settings.

I've been loving the demo. There's not a whole lot of space given to let you play around in and there's only one storyline mission you can half-way finish before the demo ends (or you reach 10 minutes in the world at which point it ends as well) but the amount to do in there feels well done.

Police levels feel very well done. The first level is minor infractions where you will be fined a small amount. You can reach this level by getting into fist fights, by reckless driving (reckless driving includes speeding. You can set the maximum speed of your car to the speed limit with a button press which I thought is a great touch), etc. By standing still or parking and then getting out for the police officers (you will be asked by them to turn off the vehicle and get out) you will be told to pay a fine. Here you can pay it or run away which bumps your level up. The next  "level" is arrest. Here, the police are more aggressive in their pursuit but will not start firing. Here, you will have to bribe them or outrun them. The next levels are various levels of "they're trying to kill you".  Vehicles you use will become wanted and if you become too much of a mencae your image will become wanted as well. It's simple but feels great.

You can rob places by pointing a gun in the store and then going up to item you want and taking it. You can steal guns from the gun store, clothes, food, and of course money from the register. Killing someone in the store will result in it being closed by police tape when you come by later. You ca still kick in the door, but unfortunately can not steal anything while it is closed.  

The vehicles are very well done, tons of era vehicles which I love the look of. Vehicles stored in your garage can be chosen through and a list of their stats is given which I love. You can go to the body shop to do work on it. This part is really done well. You can repair the vehicle, get it painted, get it tuned up, change the rims, and change the license. Changing the liscence removes the vehicle wanted level and you can set the plate to whatever you want. You can choose each of the 6 characters, so you can put lots of offending strings in there. (MAF4LYF). You can choose the colour to get the vehicle painted and there a lot of options, something I always thought was lacking in the GTA series. Tune ups increase the vehicles performance. 

Clothes look good and animate well. There was only one clothing store in the demo but I hope there are more, since there might not be that many options then. The options they do have look good though. 

Combat isn't as well done as in GTA4, in my opinion. The weapons feel good but don't case the type of damage I would like. Enemies seem to brush it off, and there isn't the same type of feeling as shooting someone in the face while they are behind the dashboard as in GTA4. Cover system is alright but at times I wish I could have stood up from the cover instead of peeking out from the side when aiming from cover. I'll have to get used to the system of getting in and out since one button goes in and out, and you have to press the button to get out of cover. You can't break cover by trying to move away from it. In short, combat is alright but nothing spectacular.

So far it seems well done. I'll most certainly get it since, as I said, I love open world games and mafia settings.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Nasar7

The only thing I didn't really like about the demo was how frequent the cutscenes are. The game seems to wrestle control away from you at all the "cool" parts. For example, when you kill that fat guy in the distillery, GTA IV would've kept that as gameplay that you get to do, then it would point you to your next mission by way of a non-intrusive phone call. But in the demo you weren't able to even off the guy yourself, the whole point of the mission in the first place.  

Also, just before the demo ends when you are fleeing the scene, I was expecting to ram through that cop barricade but, surprise surprise, I am instead "treated" to another cutscene right before the demo ends. It felt like right as things are getting crazy and exciting, the game slows down; it kinda breaks the immersion. It might be a bit extreme but based off the demo Mafia II feels like the MGS of open world games right now. Hopefully that will play out differently in the final version of the game. 

I get that this game doesn't have to be GTA but I find it refreshing how GTA's cutscenes are reserved mainly for the mission briefings so that when you are doing the actual missions you get the feeling that you are having a unique, crazy experience that you are creating on the fly, not a scripted one.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Grissefar

I have the same feeling about it that I have about Kane & Lynch 2:

Cool setting bro, but I won't buy it for the setting alone since the underlying game seems a bit on the standard side.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By deskp

got the game preordered,  damo was alright, played  on xbox360,   the game could use some anti aliasing(?)   lots of jaggy edges and having to press a button to exit cover the way its done in the game is abit anoying 
    doesent look like a goty contender, but seems entertaining.    i did enjoy the godfather 2, and so far this game looks better so im happy 

also pros to them for releasing a demo!    

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
    @Izick said:
    "I LOVED THIS DEMO!!!!  I love the whole Italian Mafia culture, I've seen The Godfather, Goodfellas, Sopranos, Cake Boss etc., but I have to say, even without the awesome Italian Mafia elements in the game, the gameplay is really fun and fluid, and the graphics....fuggedaboutit, they are really colorful and fleshed out.  14 more days!!!"

Cake boss? You're watching Cake Boss for Italian Mafia culture? Really?
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By endless_void

-Graphics are gorgeous
    -Shooting is much better than GTA4, and feels alot more quicker paced. The shotgun is pretty awesome.
    -The open world seems to be more fleshed out, more people walking on the streets than GTA4, cars are much more detailed, the police aren't annoying like they were in GTA4, etc.
    -The setting, timeline, and Mafia environment is kickass.
    -Runs great, very well optimized, and the load times are pretty much instantaneous.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I was shooting the police and killed them all and I start running away, ran past this window and next thing I know, someone shoot me with a shotgun THROUGH the window! It was the gun shop owner and I was just shocked he started shooting at me.
    tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By tomance

While the 360 version wasn't technically impressive (framerate, and tearing).  I thought it was pretty fun.  I should really build a decent gaming rig. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#136  Edited By mikemcn
    @Hourai: I thought the shooting was satisfying, it has the Read Dead thing where when you hit a dude in his leg he reacts to that specific wound anD stumbles (At least I think its like Read Dead.)

The sounds could use a little more punch though. The shotgun is alot of fun.

@mikeeegeee said:

" Murdered the bartender. Ran away. Came back. Bar was roped off with police tape. fuck yeah. "

Im trying that.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to come home and try this. Can anyone tell me how the ragdoll is and if the corpses are persistant? Weird question I know.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By tallTuck94

can't really put my finger on it but i can't like this game
    it's just wierd

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Cirdain: Is that the xbox360 version? I didn't take these screenshots, however someone took these from the youtube videos to give you an idea of the difference in texture quality.  

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By CL60
    @Nasar7 said:
    " The only thing I didn't really like about the demo was how frequent the cutscenes are. The game seems to wrestle control away from you at all the "cool" parts. For example, when you kill that fat guy in the distillery, GTA IV would've kept that as gameplay that you get to do, then it would point you to your next mission by way of a non-intrusive phone call. But in the demo you weren't able to even off the guy yourself, the whole point of the mission in the first place.   Also, just before the demo ends when you are fleeing the scene, I was expecting to ram through that cop barricade but, surprise surprise, I am instead "treated" to another cutscene right before the demo ends. It felt like right as things are getting crazy and exciting, the game slows down; it kinda breaks the immersion. It might be a bit extreme but based off the demo Mafia II feels like the MGS of open world games right now. Hopefully that will play out differently in the final version of the game.   I get that this game doesn't have to be GTA but I find it refreshing how GTA's cutscenes are reserved mainly for the mission briefings so that when you are doing the actual missions you get the feeling that you are having a unique, crazy experience that you are creating on the fly, not a scripted one. "
    It says at the beginning of the demo that, that mission is not going to be in the game like that. They have cut parts out of it. So the cutscenes will not be that frequent. It's probably like what happened with the Batman Arkham Asylum demo. They cut off parts of the asylum to make the demo shorter.
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By ZimboDK
    @HitmanAgent47:  Holy crap, that is a substantial difference. I'm glad I ordered the PC version.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Cirdain: Well I think the screenshots was from this video, you can see a higher texture quality from the pc version if you pause it. I think if you stand closer, it might be sharper, however here is the video. Just click on it and see it at higher resolutions.  

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Cirdain said:
    " AF was off though. "
    Whaaaaat? People actually play games without forcing that variable to 16x globally? 

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Cirdain
    @HitmanAgent47: yh It was probably just the distance. 
    The compression on the video is have a weird ghosting-ish effect.  
    *Sigh* When will youtube use a lossless codec.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Ramone

Gotta say this game really suprised me. Some of the combat is a bit clunky but the atmosphere and story are apparent even in the demo. Looks like one of the summers big hits

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Cirdain: Well I think the screenshots was from this video, you can see a higher texture quality from the pc version if you pause it. I think if you stand closer, it might be sharper, however here is the video. Just click on it and see it at higher resolutions.  

"

When I got too close to buildings or walls the (PC) demo turned into Wolfenstein 3D...  The textures were pretty bad in some spots.   Are you getting something like the following?  Maybe, I misconfigured something.

No Caption Provided
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Cirdain
    @MrKlorox: sorry. I have it on full now but when I took the screens I forgot to put it on.  
    Don't shot me. :) 

I shot this guy in the face.
    I shot this guy in the face.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Cirdain
    @teh_pwnzorer: No that looks like some sort of texture streaming issue. All massive high detail level games will have some stuff like that.  

But that is pretty crazy. Turn everything to low, then full, then custom/user (a.k.a can to what you want.) and see if it still happends.   

If it does go int your Nvidia control panel or whatever Ati's thing is and turn the "texture filtering - negative LOD bias" to clamp and see if that does somin'.  

If it is still crazy then it's probably a low res-texture that is there because it is a demo. Or somthing else, I can't think of anything more. 
    EDIT: DO NOT TURN THAT THING TO CLAMP!!! Keep it on ALLOW. Otherwise ur textures will look shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.