Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Mafia II is on sale . . (Steam)

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

but what I really want to say is: damn, that game came out almost two years ago and his regular price is 40 bucks? Jesus.

Anyone here want to sell me Mafia II? It's 10 bucks right now, still a bit much, if you ask me.

I loved the first Mafia game, but the reviews put me off Mafia II and I never played it.

Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Fozimuth

The game has been cheaper before.  And doesn't really have any replay.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Beaten it years ago, great game people, but the open world in it has zero activities.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

It's really not a bad game at all. I'd say ten bucks is more than fair. Just don't expect an actual open-world game, and you'll probably love it.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's basically an advanture game in a sandbox enviroment. Alot of the time you aren't shooting anything or explorering or doing side missions and what not.

It's great if you like story based games, if you expect something like Saints Row or Grand Theft Auto, you will probably be dissapointed. First games great as well.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Bwast

If you're looking for a decent, traditional mob story, I say have at it. Everything else is mediocre at best.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

It's worth a run through. Not in the same league as Mafia 1 though.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SlasherMan

Mafia 2 was an absolute delight to play. Just as long as you realize that the game is not really open world and play it as such (the sandbox is there for the atmosphere really), you'll have a blast.

BTW, skip the DLC. It's crap. Just get the base game.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By moncole

I guessed this would be on sale yesterday . Bioshock, Civ 5 and Duke Nukem will go on sale next

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aurelito

It's fun with 3D Vision. Not the expensive kind, just get a pair of red/cyan glasses and enjoy it. They've optimized the game for 3D.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JoeyRavn

I really liked the main game, but the DLC campaigns are severely lacking. Without the connective tissue of the plot of the main game, they are reduced to a series of arcadey, repetitive missions without any rhyme nor reason. And they have some of the worst Achievements ever. Get Mafia II, forget about the DLC.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrcraggle

I played it and thought it was just ok. Shooting feels fine and I really like the atmosphere (especially early on) but there is almost too much pointless back and forth driving and it annoyed me how often you lose your weapons due to plot points. The story set up felt like it was meant to be grander but it just seems stupid when it basically involves you and your friends messing everything up and then it kind of just ends. Very unsatisfying. I think they were holding out for for a Mafia 3 but the story as a whole didn't keep me too invested to really care what happens next unless the next game ends up being fantastic.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mandude

So I keep hearing that this game is not a sandbox, which doesn't really help me with a decision to buy. Can anyone tell me if I'll enjoy it based on the fact that I enjoyed LA Noire (similar in that it also was not really a sandbox)?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ben_H
    @mandude said:
    So I keep hearing that this game is not a sandbox, which doesn't really help me with a decision to buy. Can anyone tell me if I'll enjoy it based on the fact that I enjoyed LA Noire (similar in that it also was not really a sandbox)?
    Yes, it's similar if I'm understanding what's you're saying.  Like LA Noire, it has a whole city but there's no real exploration of it outside of missions.  It's a linear adventure game that just happens to be set in an open world.  If you like that type of setting it's quite fun.  I personally really enjoyed it, but I also really liked the original Mafia a whole bunch.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlasherMan

@mandude: I'd say yes. If you had no problems with LA Noire, then you really shouldn't have any issues with this at all.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vodun

@AhmadMetallic said:

Beaten it years ago, great game people, but the open world in it has zero activities.

It's not an open world game so...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous
    @SlasherMan said:

Mafia 2 was an absolute delight to play. Just as long as you realize that the game is not really open world and play it as such (the sandbox is there for the atmosphere really), you'll have a blast.

BTW, skip the DLC. It's crap. Just get the base game.

This. I really enjoyed the game a ton when I played through it last year. I thought the story was great (and being Italian-American, I'd like to think I know my way around a mafia story) and they really nailed a believable atmosphere. As others have said, don't go in expecting a sandbox world like Crackdown or GTA or SR and you'll be fine. 

In fact, I think I'll go finish up my second playthrough later this week after thinking about it.
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Eh, I wouldn't recommend it. I found it almost entirely rote and unexciting. Opinions, guys. Don't inundate me with refutations.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@AhmadMetallic said:

great game people

Good game, not great.

Anyway OP, like you i love Mafia, i played through it 5 times. Just don't have too high hopes for the sequel and you'll be happy with it.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I paid $10 for the original Mafia, this one has to be worth at least that at this point in its life, right? Eh, maybe not.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Rhaknar

Mafia 2 was quite good, if you dont mind the linearity (which i didnt). Just dont go in expecting GTA

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Winternet

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

great game people

Good game, not great.

Anyway OP, like you i love Mafia, i played through it 5 times. Just don't have too high hopes for the sequel and you'll be happy with it.

OK, guess I'll give Mafia II a shot.

Thanks guys!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mandude

Yeah, bought it myself. Pretty good so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.