Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

So, Joe's Adventures? Best we all just forgettaboutit.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I was really looking forward to Joe's Adventures ever since I heard it was announced. I didn't even have the game and yet the idea of playing as Joe in a story centred role just sounded brill! I already liked Joe from the trailers and such for being a total poster boy for cliche' Mafiosos. 

It was released a while ago now and no doubt there was many people even aware of its existence let alone planning to buy it. For anyone who did ponder such a purchase or is at least intrigued from spotting it over the PSN or XBLM, I can tell you right now... it is fucking-terrible. 

Mafia 2 was a game that had far too much driving across an empty world with shooting that had some real oompth and style, but was still overall rather generic. It's story was what motivated most to bear through the many miles of going from point A to B over and over. Joe's adventures did peg to have itself a strong story oriented experience set amidst Vito's jail time in the main game; though that was all just a ruse to cover the incredibly shallow and meaninglessness affair that is...Joe's Adventures.  

If anyone's played the Jimmy DLC they've pretty much already experienced what Joe's Adventures has to offer. It gives you the same 'arcade' style shit with text based missions and leaderboards to which noone will bother trying to get themselves noticed on - and with good reason. Joe's Adventures does have the odd bit of story, most of which was already shown in its trailer disappointingly enough, and what is there is incredibly half assed with terrible writing. 
    The missions themselves aren't even all that fun! They're all timed, as of course you're aiming for the BIG SCORE!!!, so you're always looking to get each mission done ASAP. The story is mostly non-existent so that alone takes away a great deal of the motivation Mafia's 2 missions embarked, but some of the missions themselves are just plain freakin' broken or hilariously inept. One mission where Joe is to save Marty has him head to the subway to get shot at randomly for no apparent reason by the gang who's kidnapped Marty (how do they know who to shoot?). Once you reach Marty, Joe'll hilariously say ''It's me, Joe'' like he's just rung someone up on the phone who didn't his know name, only to then be forced to ''drag'' Marty's body to your car.... what???? You don't pick him up, you'll drag his corpse like animation to your car... oh all the while with more of those gang members appearing out of nowhere blasting you to your death very instantly as you drag Marty along with no way to equip a weapon. 

The ''new clothes and cars'' are also but 'one' new car, and a bunch of the same clothes just in some new colours. It's a fuckin' joke what they tried to have people believe this was! You also unlock some extra safehouses as the 'story' goes on, but anyone can guess just which safehouses you'll be unlocking..

Usually I'd write up a review for this boorish shit, but I can't even be bothered to complete the damn thing! So I wouldn't think it was fair exactly. Instead I decided to just post up a rant that barely anyone will even look to check what with Mafia 2 quite literally being forgotten from most of the gaming community. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

I would totally rant with you, but Mafia II was forgotten and I never bothered to play it or this DLC. DLC is usually all the shittier for games that didn't sell well or games that weren't projected to sell spectacularly. They don't even try to hide the cash-grabbiness of DLC.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

I feel your pain! 

DLCs are generally shitty independently of how good the main game was. The only obvious exceptions are the ones connected to GTA.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.