Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

I Want To Talk About MAG For A Minute

• 54 results
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Marmite. In Britain we have this weird yeast-extract stuff called marmite. They call it veggie-mite in Aus but it's not as nice. I'm totally showing my narrow-minded xenophobia by assuming you guys don't know what marmite is but whatever. The point is - some people love marmite, and some people absolutely hate it. The marketing for marmite that picked up on that trend has been so strong over the years that "marmite" has essentially become an adjective for describing something people will either love, or hate.

MAG is marmite.

Here's the thing - I see a lot of people bitching on MAG on the forums and I understand entirely. If you want to form an opinion on MAG you can't just play for 20-minutes, decide it's shit, and put it down. Hi-ho, my time with the game suggests nuh-uh. You need at least 2 hours to understand what's going on, and in the latest beta, at least three or four hours before you unlock the actual "MAG" mode -- the 256 player battles which are, to put it simply, fucking mental.

The thing about MAG is, you can already see it developing a solid player-base; and I think that's what's in the long-run going to make MAG as a community a success. At the moment, jumping into the beta you get a lot of dudes not understanding what the fuck they are doing and chaos ensuing. But I imagine sometime in March, when the stragglers have given up after their 20 minute session, the game will be very different.

If you do stick with the beta and get into a squad with an actual good leadership, it's actually rather rewarding. Headsets are paramount (WHY AREN'T SONY BUNDLING WITH THE GAME!?), but you really do get a sense of being "part of something."

The mode that unlocks from the start, Sabotage, isn't exactly the best way to showcase the game in my opinion. You absolutely don't get that big-war feel here. What I do like however is the way in which there are almost like two factions, running simultaneously at different objectives. You can capture uplink A for sure - but if the other people on your team but in different squads aren't able to capture uplink B, you kinda lose. Sure, that sounds mad frustrating, but it's actually kinda neat. You still get rewarded for your individual performance, but the team loses out if there's a lose link in the squad. Just like any real team.

But the mode that unlocks at level 10 is what really showcases the "MAG" part of MAG. The 256 player matches are intense. I saw a post below mine berating snipers, but - here's something I spotted while playing MAG last night -- say there are a group of snipers ahead of you: get some machine gunners to loosely fire in their general direction, watch the snipers fall back, allowing other members of your squad to rush forward through the area the snipers had covered. Cover fire actually being important in a multiplayer shooter? That's mental in my opinion.

I also really like the whole PMC contracts idea. I dunno about any of you guys, but I feel like I could get really attached to my team (Raven). What I'd like to see is more visual feedback on menus about my team - who are the most important players for Raven, who are the upcoming starlets, how's our performance etc. The moment I start referring to Raven as "we" though, I'll know Zipper achieved something.

What I like;

• There is a sense of a "bigger war" even if it's not apparent in modes like Sabotage, as the overarcing PMC thing gives a good sense of scale, and working for the team.
    • Mechanically it feels very different to MW2, Resistance, etc - as there's no respawing health, you can't run and gun, it's very tactical, etc. I guess this might lead to the Killzone 2 effect though actually, where people are put off after 15 minutes because they can't play it the way they're used to.
    • Huge maps are amazing. Graphically MAG isn't particularly that great, but the draw distance is phenomenal on the 256 player maps. You can see other plays parachuting in from miles off. Awesome.
    • Netcode seems solid to me. Despite some issues on the first couple of days of the new beta (which is good, because you don't want it on launch day), MAG's netcode seems pretty solid, especially considering the scale. I think they'll be ok come launch.
    • Almost RPG like sense to the unlocks, perks, upgrades and stuff. Seems like there's a huge opportunity for tuning your player to your liking here, but, I still haven't played enough to be sure of that myself yet.

What I have issues with:

• There's a huge learning curve which is already putting some people off (read other posts on this forum). Which is really disappointing for Zipper because, I know it's opinions and all, but I think there game is rather good. But it's terrible for n00bs. You need 2-3 hours to really feel involved, and maybe 4-6 hours before you start feeling like you're part of a match, and have an understanding what you're doing. I get the feeling that time is going to be super rewarding for those who invest it, but I'm not sure how many are going to be willing to. I will say this - you absolutely cannot play MAG for 20 minutes and form an opinion on it. Because those first 20 minutes will be simply: run, die, respawn. It almost has a JRPG-esque learning curve to it in my opinion.
    • Graphically kinda weak. I really like the map design I've seen in MAG, and the graphics are better than expected but, yo, it's still kinda poor.
    • Animation and sound. Again - the audio really lacks punch (which is a shame becuase that's something you feel they COULD have done better) and the animation is a bit jerky.
    • Menus are confusing as fuck - what does this button do? What does that do? Perhaps things will be explained better in the actual retail game. I appreciate this is a beta so hopefully -- I can kinda imagine MAG having a huge instruction manual though.
    • The big war feel is not instantly apparent. Again I think people are switching off the game because they're jumping into Sabotage and not really getting that "Massive Action Game" feel coming through. Need to play until level 10 baby, then you'll understand it.
    • Headsets. Why aren't Sony bundling the official PLaystation headset with this game? Not only would it make the game feel more value rich, it would also greatly enhance the experience for everyone involved. You need to communicate with your squad or you're fucked.

All in all, I reckon: time + patience = MAG rewards. From what I've seen it's a good game, but at the same time I can totally understand why people are getting put off it. To those people I would say, give it four or five hours, get to level 10, find some people to play with and see how you feel down the line. If you still hate it, fine, but I really do think 66% of people who give it a chance might get hooked.

It's very different to other console shooters. It's extremely tactical, and pretty damn challenging. But my experience is that it's a damn sight more rewarding than most other shooters too.

I expect reviews will figure in the 6/7 mark, and the game will be a commercial flop. But like SOCOM games, I expect it to garner a pretty darn loyal following that will stay around for as long as Zipper support it.

Just my $0.02 really.

EDIT: And one last thing, there's very little autoaim -- which is an amazingly good thing in my opinion.
    Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Well, I hate Marmite but I still like the sound of this game.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Kudos for the Marmite comparison, being a Brit myself it is always a pleasure to see that comparison made!

I've only put an hour into the game, if even that. And I have to say the best comparison to an existing game I can think of is EVE. MAG seems like the sort of game that will have a loyal and enthusiastic following but not an amazingly large one like other online shooters have.

Based solely on the Beta I'd say MAG has a somewhat steep learning curve. It'll take, like you said, a good investment of time to get a fair understanding and level of skill at the game before you can really appreciate it. The biggest thing obviously is having a decent leader in your squad and being able to communicate which is hampered by the fact the official PS£ headset isn't bundled with the console or with MAG itself which is an annoyance.

I think your write up nails it pretty well. MAG won't be for a large majority of people, but those who stick with it will have a lot of fun.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Hamz said:

"MAG seems like the sort of game that will have a loyal and enthusiastic following but not an amazingly large one like other online shooters have.  Based solely on the Beta I'd say MAG has a somewhat steep learning curve. "

This, absolutely this, for anyone put off by my wall of text, Hamz quote essentially sums it up.

It's kinda gutting seeing people jump in for 20 minutes and head straight to their forum of choice to shit on the game but Zipper had to expect it in some ways. It's important to remember when playing MAG that it was made by Zipper Interactive - the guys who made the absolutely niche SOCOM which had an incredible following of a solid userbase.

In many ways, I'm kinda looking forward to March-ish, when the people expecting MAG to be Call Of Duty sign-off, and just leave the game to those who want to really learn it. I think that's when MAG will shine - when there is a community of perhaps 15,000 or so players who are way into it.

I've just looked through the other threads on this MAG board though and I'm kinda sad to see the amount of people flat-out writing the game off. Those people are entitled to their opinion, of course - perhaps I'm enjoying it more because I haven't had any particularly negative experiences yet - but I kinda think it's wrong to disregard it from the off. It's a tactical shooter that's gonna take a lot of learning.

With this and Killzone 2 though, I think Sony have their "hardcore FPS" bases covered. I think they maybe just a really solid iteration of Resistance OR some exclusive marketing tied up with Battlefield to provide the other end of the spectrum. As this is definitely a niche title.

I'm wondering how reviews are gonna handle this game at the moment actually.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DCFGS3

I wanna get this game, but I'm worried the fan base in OZ may not be big enough for it, plus our internet is shite.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By fistfulofmetal

I really like "Battlefield" multiplayer games. Of course I mean literally the Battlefield series, but also titles where the playercount is 32 and up. I like being in a game where the action I'm currently taking partaking in isn't the only skirmish currently going down. I was playing MAG yesterday and defending B pretty well and all the while there was a huge battle going down over at A. A battle I had nothing to do with (In fact I never even went over there). 

Mechanically I think it's fine. It has it's own feel which is not too light and twitchy but not too cumbersome. The guns feel pretty good as well. 

So far the only thing that's missing is a way to see everyone on the server. like a full server list. 

I dont see myself buying this at all, but I'll definitely rent it. It'll be a nice stop gap until Battlefield 3

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb
    @DCFGS3 said:

" I wanna get this game, but I'm worried the fan base in OZ may not be big enough for it, plus our internet is shite. "

Maybe try the beta and see how it holds up in your area. Appreciate it's a beta and it's not the best indication, but it might give you some idea how the Internet holds up.

Although if you've got bandwidth restrictions note that the beta is a 1.8GB torrent download, which is BULLSHIT.
    Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Butchio

you sold it to me, im gonna giv it another go

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
    @butchio said:
    " you sold it to me, im gonna giv it another go "
    Remember to think of it like SOCOM rather than MW2. If you still hate it after an hour or two, I understand why, but I think it's worth a shot. Especially while the beta is free to play.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PureRok

I wish there were better visual indicators for who's on your team. The blue dot is almost nonexistent. The game is also way too dark.

JukeboxJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JukeboxJoe

I love marmite. That is all.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alex_V

Interesting read.

The problem, for me, is that when it comes down to it the game is Battlefield 2 with a new skin. Yes there are differences, but the 99% of the game that you simply spend moving about a large-scale multiplayer map, it is Battlefield 2. It's a 5 year old game copied for PS3 users.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kiemoe

That's a really good post. I don't know how I know what Vegimite is (American), but I do, and appreciate the simile.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Alex_V said:
    " Interesting read.  The problem, for me, is that when it comes down to it the game is Battlefield 2 with a new skin. Yes there are differences, but the 99% of the game that you simply spend moving about a large-scale multiplayer map, it is Battlefield 2. It's a 5 year old game copied for PS3 users. "
    I haven't played Battlefield 2 so I can't really compare to that. MAG feels fresh to me but maybe that's 'cos I never played Battlefield 2. What are the similarities?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

I think I'd like it because I like the large scale battles of Battlefield. But I might not like it at the same time due to my predisposition similar games and bias of how I want things to work. I really wish I had picked up a PS3 while our stores still had the Holiday bundles.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fwylo

Downloaded the Beta last night planning to play, then had the hour half of updates... So ended up going to sleep.  But I'm excited to check it out tonight.  

It looks really interesting from what I've seen.  I got a beta key when I went to PAX but never used it but from everything I'm hearing I had to d/l it now that I don't even have to type in a CODE.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

Are we talking about the MASSIVE ACTION GAME?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheHBK

Are we talking about the MASSIVE ACTION GAME?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Driadon

I need to download this as soon as I get home. I've always been a fan of games with huge sprawling skirmishes, to the point that the only selling point of Call of Duty 4 was that the private servers could host 32 player + matches. 

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @butchio said:
    Remember to think of it like SOCOM rather than MW2. If you still hate it after an hour or two, I understand why, but I think it's worth a shot. Especially while the beta is free to play. "

Why should we think of SOCOM? Zipper abandoned probably the most loyal fanbase of console video games, I could care less about M.A.G.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

the game is like socom.  
    many people suck at it and just walk away but never stick around long enough to get the feel of it and progress and get good at it. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai

I can see this game developing a loyal fan-base and I think this game will gather more people who are willing to invest the time in going through it's rather steep learning curve. I can see this game becoming successful in the long run. Being a part of the Beta i had a rather good time with the game and I actually met a few good people on it that were just a blast to play with. Unfortunately I won't be able to get this game on launch because it came down to MAG or Heavy Rain and I don't need to tell you who won. 

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By h0lgr

Finally, a god damn thread which SPEAKS THE TRUTH! Thank you, thread creator... Exactly my thoughts...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Mordukai said:
    " I can see this game developing a loyal fan-base and I think this game will gather more people who are willing to invest the time in going through it's rather steep learning curve. I can see this game becoming successful in the long run. Being a part of the Beta i had a rather good time with the game and I actually met a few good people on it that were just a blast to play with. Unfortunately I won't be able to get this game on launch because it came down to MAG or Heavy Rain and I don't need to tell you who won.  "
    Haha yes. Sorry MAG, but if I had to pick between you and Heavy Rain then you'd lose.

@ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " @butchio said:
    Remember to think of it like SOCOM rather than MW2. If you still hate it after an hour or two, I understand why, but I think it's worth a shot. Especially while the beta is free to play. "
    Why should we think of SOCOM? Zipper abandoned probably the most loyal fanbase of console video games, I could care less about M.A.G. "
    Why do people say they, "could care less." Where I come from it's "couldn't care less," based on the context you're coming from. Never understood that. "Could care less" suggests to me you have interest in the game, when your post suggests you actually don't.

Anyway, I don't think Zipper abandoned you at all. Hey, yo, they made SOCOM in first-person with 256 players. That's exactly what MAG is. And that's kinda why I think it's awesome.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By demonbear

How can you eat something that is yeast based on your toasts? I don't get it. 

Anyways, the OP makes a good point, you can't judge MAG before hitting level 10. For my part, i tried it and I love it. The only thing though is that, since there's no single player, sometimes you'll be stuck waiting for a game to start, and that's really bad. 

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " I can see this game developing a loyal fan-base and I think this game will gather more people who are willing to invest the time in going through it's rather steep learning curve. I can see this game becoming successful in the long run. Being a part of the Beta i had a rather good time with the game and I actually met a few good people on it that were just a blast to play with. Unfortunately I won't be able to get this game on launch because it came down to MAG or Heavy Rain and I don't need to tell you who won.  "
    Haha yes. Sorry MAG, but if I had to pick between you and Heavy Rain then you'd lose.

@ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " @butchio said:
    Why should we think of SOCOM? Zipper abandoned probably the most loyal fanbase of console video games, I could care less about M.A.G. "
    Why do people say they, "could care less." Where I come from it's "couldn't care less," based on the context you're coming from. Never understood that. "Could care less" suggests to me you have interest in the game, when your post suggests you actually don't.  Anyway, I don't think Zipper abandoned you at all. Hey, yo, they made SOCOM in first-person with 256 players. That's exactly what MAG is. And that's kinda why I think it's awesome. "

Hells. Fucking. No. 

SOCOM didn't have respawn, and people didn't like it when they made 32 player matches. 

What's SOCOM's penalty for death? You could have just lost the game/round for your team, or you could be out of the game for 5 minutes alot of times. 

When it was you and one other guy left and it was the last round, you could win it for your team or lose it for your team. Oh the adrenaline rush, I can still remember some of the great wins (and losses) I experienced in SOCOM. 

M.A.G...you respawn 15 seconds later. There's never a last man standing, there's never a real penalty for dying, there's never a real need to think tactially because you can go in guns blazing and die with no punishment. 

Don't ever! EVER! Compare this game SOCOM!
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By RobotHamster

That seemed longer than a minute

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By get2sammyb
    @ADTR_ZERO: Haha I respectfully disagree, but I see what you're saying. Perhaps one of the game types will be a die and be dead mode. In fact, that seems very likely indeed.

@demonbear: Trust me it's actually kinda nice. Even if it does have the texture of tar. I've heard people having issues waiting for a game, yet to see any of that myself, but the visual feedback is very poor when you join a "queue". It doesn't really make it clear what's going on actually.

Glad someone else stuck it out until level 10 to get a better sense of the game though. I feel like it's the fair way to judge it. I understand why Zipper locked it out (so people actually learn the game before jumping into the chaos), but it kinda seems like a bad move on the other hand because people are coming away thinking it's not very "massive" at all.

Having said that, if people aren't willing to put in the time, they're probably going to hate the mechanics anyway.

I have genuine community feedback to give actually, do we head to the official Playstation forums for beta duties? Got a couple of feedback ideas they might be able to implement ahead of launch if others are suggesting it. Either way, would like to do my bit, does anyone know? I didn't read the terms (whoops).
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By demonbear

The only, the ONLY thing that is bad about MAG right now is that its released the same day Mass Effect 2 is released. Man, january 26th is gonna be tough on my wallet!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By get2sammyb

Won about five matches in a row last night. It's hilarious when you go up against a squad attempting to play CoD/Halo style. Totally obliterated them in Sabotage. Was storming Objective C with 18 minutes to go, so took out Uplink's A and B within the first 120 seconds amazing. Quite a rush when you're on a good team.

Most hilarious thing is - I just know some of the people on the opposing team we destroyed were heading straight to a forum to write their forum topic: "MAG, Massive Disappointment".

In all honesty though, I do kinda hope the final MAG product on blu-ray deals with the learning curve a little more elegantly, because it is a big ask to expect your playerbase to invest 5-6 hours before they "get it", and will surely be a flaw of the game, no matter how good it feels when you've figured it out.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shadows_kill

at first i didnt like mag (but i didnt bash it like people have done) but thats mainly i was trying to compare it to cod4... which is something not to do since its completely different. after i did that i liked it .. a lot but one thing is that its mp only and 60$ i just dont feel like a mp only game is worth 60$ i need something more than just mp (to me at least). i did buy socom confrontation near release because i liked the beta and it came with a headset (cause the warhawk one broke) and this game really needs headsets but i like how they made it a little more doable if you dont have one..

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By c1337us

I read that first sentence and only an imbecile would rate that filth Marmite ahead of godly Vegemite. Therefore the rest of you post does not derserve to be read.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tebbit

Marmite, unlike a challenging fps, must be eaten conservatively. If you spend hours and hours eating Marmite, you're gonna be very ill. Though strangely satisfied. 

@c1337us said:

" I read that first sentence and only an imbecile would rate that filth Marmite ahead of godly Vegemite. Therefore the rest of you post does not derserve to be read. "
    Vegemite tastes like embalming fluids. Marmite is the only true king of yeast-based breakfast spreads!!
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By c1337us
    @Tebbit: Well lets just agree at least that Promite taste much like what I dont want to imagine licking a scrotum might taste like and both Vege and Mar are both superior then retire to a respectives mite products.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By get2sammyb
    @shadows_kill said:

" at first i didnt like mag (but i didnt bash it like people have done) but thats mainly i was trying to compare it to cod4... which is something not to do since its completely different. after i did that i liked it .. a lot but one thing is that its mp only and 60$ i just dont feel like a mp only game is worth 60$ i need something more than just mp (to me at least). i did buy socom confrontation near release because i liked the beta and it came with a headset (cause the warhawk one broke) and this game really needs headsets but i like how they made it a little more doable if you dont have one.. "

They should definitely be bundling this game with the headset. Like you, say it not only gives the whole package more value, but it's also kinda necessary to play the game.

And yeah, as a single player kinda guy, the full-price does seem a bit steep. I want to get a good idea of what you actually GET. Modes, community features, etc. The beta gives you a good indication of the game, but it doesn't really give a good idea of how much/what content you get.

I don't really know what modes to expect for example.

@c1337us said:
    " I read that first sentence and only an imbecile would rate that filth Marmite ahead of godly Vegemite. Therefore the rest of you post does not derserve to be read. "
    How dare you. MARMITE HAS PADDINGTON BEAR!
    Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Butchio
    @get2sammyb: I tired it and loved it. Pity the beta is only on to sunday. Def getting it day of release
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SamStrife

OP's post made me go and download the beta.  He provided decent points for both sides of the argument and sounded  like he knew what he was talking about, which is more than can be said for most talking about this game.

OK, firstly...anyone who says the graphics are that of a PS2 game, are obvious trolls and/or blind.  Sure, the graphics aint all that hot, but i was going into the game expecting my retinas to be offended or something.  We've been spoiled recently with a lot of very pretty games, but not a single one of them have the scale this game does.  Having 256 players, running around a huge-ass-map is obviously a risky thing, so Zipper needed to tune the graphics down a touch, and I feel they've not taken too much of a hit at all.

Secondly, I'm convinced the net code for this game is from 10 years in the future or so.  It's fucking baffling how they can run the game as laf free as they can, with so many people from around the worrld.  I luve in the UK and I was playing with Americans in a 256 player match with absolutly zero latency....how the fuck did they do that?!?!  They should win awards for that shit.

The gameplay aint too bad.  People will go a head and say it's generic, but it feels good, and unlike other games, people who've been investing hours upon hours into the game, whilst still having an advantage over newbies, won't damn near ruin the experiance for other people learning the ropes.

In closure, the game aint very bad at all.  Like the OP said, when tactically on it, you feel a great sense of acheivement and having 3 persistant factions is absolutly genius, it creates a mad bond between players that no game really shoots for, and it does it well.

Will I buy the game...?  I dk yet, see how I feel after another 20 hours of playing.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tebbit
    @c1337us: Good show old chap. Scrotum-licking away.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Edin899

Well i only played about 20 min of it.   And you can say whatever you want about this game. But the gameplay is just shitty as hell. It just doens't feel good, and if it doenst feel good, well whats the point in playing? Also i played a match or 2 and only encounterd 2 enemies.......kinda weird since there suppose to be like a 100 of them.
    GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By GozerTC

I like the EVE and Vegimite comparison.  My wife is Aussie so I have to call it Vegimite. :p  

I enjoyed EVE because it was hard to learn and forced you to actually learn and specialize.  MAG is working out a lot to be the same.  Sure at it's base it IS Battlefield 2.   I liked Battlefield 2 so having a BIGGER BF2?  Yeah I'm there. :)  

Toss in leveling and customizable classes with specializations that can actually hurt or hinder a team?  Heck yeah.  

I also agree that they so should bundle a bluetooth headset.  Luckily my boss had an old one I could steal so it REALLY makes a difference.  I've hooked up with a group of really good guys and I have to say it really does make all the difference in the world.  I went from being a nobody to being in the top 3 or 5 in all our matches. (Normally my buddies are the ones above me. :) ) What's also nice is that I do NOT shoot people well, but I can still score well by doing my role: Medic.   

Oh and snipers are nice, in fact I am one for speed medic runs.  It has to be the easiest game to snipe in since Tribes. (For me at least)  Though with 60 lvl's max you can come up with lots of nice specs.  

Overall I have to say this game is definitely a "cult" game and not mainstream.  Hopefully a large enough cult will enjoy it to make the game worth playing because without a regular large amounts of people joining in to play in those big wars nothing is going to happen.  I look forward to seeing large organized groups attack the big fights.  

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mordukai
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Most hilarious thing is - I just know some of the people on the opposing team we destroyed were heading straight to a forum to write their forum topic: "MAG, Massive Disappointment"."
    LOl, pretty much. The modern thinking of video gamer . 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @Mordukai said:

@ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " @butchio said:
    Why do people say they, "could care less." Where I come from it's "couldn't care less," based on the context you're coming from. Never understood that. "Could care less" suggests to me you have interest in the game, when your post suggests you actually don't.  Anyway, I don't think Zipper abandoned you at all. Hey, yo, they made SOCOM in first-person with 256 players. That's exactly what MAG is. And that's kinda why I think it's awesome. "
    it really does retain that very tactical, and team-oriented feel that socom has. stop being cranky. 
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheHBK
    @Edin8999 said:
    " Well i only played about 20 min of it.   And you can say whatever you want about this game. But the gameplay is just shitty as hell. It just doens't feel good, and if it doenst feel good, well whats the point in playing? Also i played a match or 2 and only encounterd 2 enemies.......kinda weird since there suppose to be like a 100 of them. "
    Have to agree, the first thing I notice about a FPS is not the graphics, or the weapons or the modes.  It is how do I feel moving around and shooting?  And here, the game felt terrible.  Stiff and janky.  To me, the game felt like an early FPS on the PS2.  And the control choices are weird.  Not every game has to use the same button layout but damn, this shit is weird.  Triangle to crouch?  And the weapon switching is weird too, but you get used to it I guess.

I dont know why there are so many defending it.  Usually I get rocked in FPS but I dont play them to win, I play them to have fun.  Cant even remember if my team would win or not, i just didn't feel good running around and shooting.

The developers have to know the game looks crappy and feels just as bad, so why put out a beta?  Sorry guys but like Jeff said in the last podcast, this is not to test out the gameplay, that shit is done, this thing is already off to the presses, this is to test the servers.  And this beta will backfire on them because I am sure the game will get terrible sales numbers.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TheHBK: Despite the fact there are consistently 15,000 people logged into the beta servers -- and we all know game sales are comparitive to quality.

I'm sorry, but the whole bulk of my post was to discuss how the game requires time to adjust. You can consider it a slight on Zipper's point of view -- but none of us can assume we know the way the game progresses in the full retail edition; that learning curve is going to be paramount, and you just can't form an opinion after 20 minutes. I understand if people are looking for something more immediate, but it really doesn't make it bad straight off.

I can also appreciate people saying the game looks and feels a bit last-gen: I'm not here to defend the game at all, and I totally agree it's far away from the polish of the shooting mechanics in something like Killzone 2; but I seem to remember that game also suffering a backlash because it didn't feel exactly like the flavour of the weak. It's a tricky discussion - should we slight a develop for creating a controls system that doesn't feel like the market leader? Having said that, the animation is rough, and the audio feedback is pretty whack, I'll agree with you there. I'm not to keen on the item switching either to be honest, but they're trivial complaints in my honest opinion.

But just for the sake of interest, I'd love to know how many of us in this thread have actually played up to the 256 player modes - because that shit is rad and fucking bonkers at the same time. So, who's level 10 and played Domination?

And yes, the netcode is unreal. I'm yet to experience lag (I appreciate that's personal) here in the UK, with perhaps 60 players on screen, moving in front of me. I love the draw distance on Domination too; you can see the enemy parachute in from miles in the distance. Awesome sense of scale.
    GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By GozerTC

*Raises Hand* 

I've TOTALLY played the 256 player games.  As a squad leader no less.  :)  

First off it is totally bonkers.  Even more so when you are in charge of a squad which is part of a larger platoon, which is again only one section of the entire defense.  When you look at that overhead map and realize how your squad of 8 fit in with the 32 total players in your small section of the fight fit together it's really awe inspiring.  Again the net code on this game is INSANE!  I have had ZERO combat lag that wasn't connected to their systems dying entirely.  (Which isn't good of course but this is BETA)  By far I've had far more success with lag free games then crashed games.  

I will also agree the control layout is wonky.  Why can't I adjust my bloody layout?  Hmm?  It's not like it's a hard thing to change for crying out loud!  It is by far one of the most annoying things about console games.  (Coming from PCs of course.)  The PS3 controller has very nice TRIGGERS.  Why are they not shoot and aim down sight?  COME ON!   *SIGH*  

Seriously if you've not hit the 256 fights you've not seen how over the top this game can get.  Unfortunetly you'll have to get through some really crappy games of 64 players to get there.  The best thing to do is listen to those who are trying to lead (if any).  Otherwise listen to what place you have to attack or defend and go to it.  Oh, and if you see guys with crosses next to their names DO NOT BLEEDOUT!  For crying out loud I can rez you!  I hate running through a hail of fire dodging all sorts of stuff to rez a guy who just bleedsout two seconds before I get there.  :\ 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By get2sammyb
    @GozerTC: Yeah, it kinda sucks they're not showing people the 256 player matches from the start. At least as a spectacle. But then, you're seriously going to fucking die if you're just jumping into the 256 player matches, it's fucking ridiculous carnage. Never seen anything like it.

And yes! Hell yes - don't bleedout, folks. It's not the way to play. Use the stick to look around for a medic, use your headshot, and only bleedout if you're certain no-one's going to get to you.

I'm glad they're not using the triggers for shooting. I hate R2/L2 -- shooting should always be on the L1/R1 buttons on Playstation. It's the cycling items I don't like -- you get used to it but it's not ideal. Would have preferred a wheel or something. Shame there are no options to change control setup.

Finally, really fair and interesting preview over at Eurogamer -- seems like they actually spent time with it and wrote up a preview accordingly rather than just saying "it's not CoD and the graphics suck," which is nice to see. Some fair criticisms on the reliance of other squads to complete objectives (which I actually like, but I can understand how they're frustrated by it), and someone who actually acknowledges the netcode, which is, as we've mentioned in this thread, is unreal:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mag-hands-on_1_0

"If everyone takes it seriously and performs properly, it's conceivable that MAG could revolutionise online console FPS play. But that's a big "if", and it's the community that will not only define the experience but make or break it. The task before Sony, then, is arguably not one of promotion but of education. Treat it like any other FPS launch and the result will be a damp squib. Get people in the right frame of mind, however, and MAG could be explosive."

Anyone else think SVER's map is horribly unbalanced? I fucking hate SVER scum.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By get2sammyb

New trailer. Pretty fucking epic.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Marmite. In Britain we have this weird yeast-extract stuff called marmite. They call it veggie-mite in Aus but it's not as nice. I'm totally showing my narrow-minded xenophobia by assuming you guys don't know what marmite is but whatever. The point is - some people love marmite, and some people absolutely hate it. The marketing for marmite that picked up on that trend has been so strong over the years that "marmite" has essentially become an adjective for describing something people will either love, or hate.

MAG is marmite.
    Besides the redundancy of that, I'm quite speechless.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By Jayross
    @get2sammyb:  So how does this stack up against Bad Company 2? (If you have played the beta)
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Red12b
    @DCFGS3 said:

"I wanna get this game, but I'm worried the fan base in OZ may not be big enough for it, plus our internet is shite. "

I live in NZ, You think your internet is bad,  

This game actually runs wel, Give it a go, My conection is a 512-1mb down, So if it runs that good, on my conection it will run like water on yours. 

Getting to the 5 hour mark, Love it, sad that the beta will be over :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.