Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

Is MAG Even Possible?, First Screenshots Revealed

• 61 results
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

The sources for these are dubious to say the least, but they look legit to me, and also Eurogamer have posted them so I'm gonna say these are the real deal. Nothing on Sony's press site yet though, so take with minor caution.

Anyway, remember MAG? That game that Sony pimped at E3 and haven't said anything since. Y'know, the one billed at 256 players. Well, graphically it looks, pretty amazing. Which I had totally assumed it wouldn't. I mean - 256 players, you expect the graphics to take a hit right? Well anyway... have a look for yourself.

Oh yeah, it's an FPS too. Which is not what I expected, I presumed with it being essentially SOCOM it was going to be third person. Anyway, there are tons more screens and concept art here.

Guess we'll see more at E3.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Im honestly so confused about this game - i keep expecting there to be some kind of catch or hidden thing thats ognna pop up and bite us in the ass - - - paint me as cautiously optimistic for now

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

This looks duuuuuuumb

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
    OmegaPirate said:
    "Im honestly so confused about this game - i keep expecting there to be some kind of catch or hidden thing thats ognna pop up and bite us in the ass - - - paint me as cautiously optimistic for now"
    Dude I'm totally with you. It sounds ludicrous. It just can't work, can it?

TooWalrus said:
    "This looks duuuuuuumb"
    Let's wait for a bit more first, eh?
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    TooWalrus said:
    "This looks duuuuuuumb"
    You look Duuuuuuuumb!!!!!

Ok, seriously, I hope they can pull this game off. It would be insanely fun if they pull it off, but I'm not optimistic.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Looks pretty good (though these are bullshots with a ton of AA applied), it's not for me though. 32 players is already too much for most games, and Battlefield is passable with 64 of them. Maybe they wanna talk about how there will be awesome new squad strategies and what not, but it'll probably end up with the vast majority of players fighting over the primary objectives in a constant kill some, die, respawn repetition, with the large map simply allowing the snipers to always be able to kill a few without being seen. Which is cool if you're a sniper. Not so cool to keep dying without knowing where it came from though, and you'll hardly notice the sound of a sniper's shot whle you're in the middle of a close combat skirmish over an objective. But I guess we'll see how it shapes up. Does look cool though, hope those parachuters is how you respawn in the game. That last shot is the amount of tactics I foresee applied in the average match. None at all.

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By ishotmrburns

It sounded too good to be true, but now it looks too good to be true. Hopefully Sony pull it off.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Grillbar

256 players eh?
    hmm sux to be the first one to die and see the rest camp a match will take 4ever so mayb its a fps war semulator
    seriously im kinda lost on this one just cant deside on this one if its awsome or just a waste
    hope for the best

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus
    TooWalrus said:
    "This looks duuuuuuumb"
    Maybe I should elaborate a little... Nah. Ha!
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Looks pretty good (though these are bullshots with a ton of AA applied), it's not for me though. 32 players is already too much for most games, and Battlefield is passable with 64 of them. Maybe they wanna talk about how there will be awesome new squad strategies and what not, but it'll probably end up with the vast majority of players fighting over the primary objectives in a constant kill some, die, respawn repetition, with the large map simply allowing the snipers to always be able to kill a few without being seen. Which is cool if you're a sniper. Not so cool to keep dying without knowing where it came from though, and you'll hardly notice the sound of a sniper's shot whle you're in the middle of a close combat skirmish over an objective. But I guess we'll see how it shapes up. Does look cool though, hope those parachuters is how you respawn in the game. That last shot is the amount of tactics I foresee applied in the average match. None at all."
    I'm not sure about them being bullshots. I've reduced the size of the images in this thread so they look a bit sharper, the real full-sizes aren't QUITE as good, but yes. It's very possible, certainly wouldn't be the first time at least.

I have to counter two of your points though. Firstly, I doubt Zipper would make a game without tactics. I doubt it will just be a spawn-shoot fest -- Zipper wouldn't do that. I assume it will play much more like Resistance 2's 60-player "Objectives" matches, where essentially it's 4vs4 playing on a massive map. So long as the objectives vary enough, they might be able to get across quite a compelling "war scale" but I agree with everything what everyone else has said...

... It looks and sounds too good to be true.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karmum

I just don't see this working out, although, I hope I'm proved wrong.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo
    TooWalrus said:
    "This looks duuuuuuumb"

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Grillbar said:
    "256 players eh?hmm sux to be the first one to die and see the rest camp a match will take 4ever so mayb its a fps war semulatorseriously im kinda lost on this one just cant deside on this one if its awsome or just a wastehope for the best"
    Never heard the concept of respawns, have you? I can see why one without that knowledge would be lost >_>
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_

These screenies look much more like "hey, the gameplay will probably look like this" renders (bullshots, proof-of-concept, whatever you want to call them) than actual gameplay. Especially those bullet trails. It's fake, but it's interesting to see what you can (possibly) glean from a design perspective.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Grillbar said:
    "256 players eh?hmm sux to be the first one to die and see the rest camp a match will take 4ever so mayb its a fps war semulatorseriously im kinda lost on this one just cant deside on this one if its awsome or just a wastehope for the best"
    Never heard the concept of respawns, have you? I can see why one without that knowledge would be lost >_>"
    I guess he means because, I believe in certain SOCOM games you die and that's it for the round. But I haven't really played SOCOM so I don't really know.

TooWalrus said:
    "TooWalrus said:
    "This looks duuuuuuumb"
    Maybe I should elaborate a little... Nah. Ha!"
    I would very much like an elaboration from both you and Vinchenzo -- if you actually have a point to make like Al3xand3r did, then it would be awesome to discuss it. Sadly, that level of comprehension seems beyond both of you -- hopefully you'll prove me wrong.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

I know what he means, Counter-Strike started the trend, but clearly it would be a pretty big flaw for a 256 player game.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

It looks like frontlines fuel of war on 360  I mean all most exactly like it.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

256 players online tells me this is a FPSMMO???!! SOLD!!!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Doesn't sound like a FPSMMO. Just a larger scale Battlefield-esque game.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PureRok
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Doesn't sound like a FPSMMO. Just a larger scale Battlefield-esque game."
    So... it's a MMOFPS? Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter?
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

This idea is crazy, and I like it. If they can pull it off, then it may be the next big thing. Unfortunately, I have doubts that they will.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zitosilva

I'm really curious to see how they plan to do this. Every shooter that I played so far, that puts too many players in a match, are just chaotic and not fun to play at all. We have a recent example with Resistance 2. Deathmatches with the maximun number of players are almost unplayable. They are good for a few laughs at first, but they got old pretty quickly.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r
    PureRok said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    So... it's a MMOFPS? Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter?"
    If you wanna call 256 massive... Sure... But I somehow think people would bitch about a MMORPG that held 256 players per server, even if most of the interaction happens with groups of 5 anyway. And hey, even its developers don't call it a MMOFPS... You'd think they'd jump @ the hype the term brings if they thought it's remotely related, no? No reason to hype the game more than its mother does.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Does this game scream Frontlines Fuels of War to anyone else?  
    Anyway, I'm sure it'll be good. I doubt it'll be awesome

In the end, it's really going to be 256 players running around doing their own thing, higher numbers = more chaos. 

Well actually, if they could have a territories gametype where you must hold an easy accessible location, then that could work. 
    Looking forward to it, but realizing it looks like shooter X

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    Al3xand3r said:
    "PureRok said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    So... it's a MMOFPS? Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter?"
    If you wanna call 256 massive... Sure... But I somehow think people would bitch about a MMORPG that held 256 players per server, even if most of the interaction happens with groups of 5 anyway. And hey, even its developers don't call it a MMOFPS... You'd think they'd jump @ the hype the term brings if they thought it's remotely related, no? No reason to hype the game more than its mother does."
    The game is called "Massive Action Game" though....
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Still far from having MMO in the title. MMOAG?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    dcpc10 said:
    "Looks amazingly good, and I see no similarities with this and Front lines: fuel of war...this looks epic unlike that game."
    The whole point of Frontlines was to create a warzone, and they did.

Did you play it? It just gives off a similar vibe.  Frontlines is good for the record, just feels like it needs some polish
    Frontlines has probably created the best warzone setting of any game thus far (no killzone 2 doesn't, it feels like one much of the time, but artificially)

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By atejas

Not an MMOFPS, don't care how many people it supports per server.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By get2sammyb
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Frontlines has probably created the best warzone setting of any game thus far (no killzone 2 doesn't, it feels like one much of the time, but artificially)"
    I'm convinced you don't know what you're trying to say. What the hell do you mean "artificially"?
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

It looks pretty much exactly like frontlines in both graphics and type of scale.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#31  Edited By EpicSteve

Not trying to troll, but Sony has history with announcing games that didn't really exist when the announcment happened.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

So it's exactly the same in scale as a game that can have 16 players on Xbox 360 and 64 on PC (Frontlines)? I guess I have my Maths all wrong.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By jakob187

I think the game looks pretty good.

However, the concept sounds stupid as shit.  Who honestly needs a 256 player game?!

Might as well make an MMO at that point.  =  /
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Captain_Fookup

What a bunch of noobs, just standing there out in the open.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
    EpicSteve said:
    "Not trying to troll, but Sony has history with announcing games that didn't really exist when the announcment happened. "
    i have no idea what the fuck you just said buddy.....can you elaborate on that???
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By eclipsesis
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "It looks like frontlines fuel of war on 360  I mean all most exactly like it."

eh what do you mean? 

in terms of what they are trying to do by making a huge MMO shooter or in visual style. Because if you mean visual style then you are sadly mistaken, this looks so much better than frontlines that game was horrible, just plain ugly it hurts me thinking about tht game, this on the other hand im not going to say it looks fantasic but it already looks better than frontlines if these screens are real. I dont think they look the same, no where near compareable 

this take frontlines scale and fuck it in the ear hole

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    get2sammyb said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Frontlines has probably created the best warzone setting of any game thus far (no killzone 2 doesn't, it feels like one much of the time, but artificially)"
    I'm convinced you don't know what you're trying to say. What the hell do you mean "artificially"?"
    More so through scripting and what not.  Killzone 2 does it (much better imo ) like COD.  Lots of random explosions going off and random flares going into the sky.  You're more or less on a restricted path.
    Frontlines does this without these things and just feels like they created a warzone--- these things are actually happening because they're fighting.

Hard to describe I guess, play both, you'll understand.  Frontlines just becomes more dynamic, which is what they're going for in MAG

Edit:  good way to put it:  Take out all the possible enemies.  COD4 and Killzone 2 will seem like a whole bunch of crap is still going on and whatnot.  Frontlines will seems dead.  (granted though, frontlines has respawning enemies and tons of them- it never gets like this)
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By mikemcn

Of course its not 3rd person because theyd have to animate your own player's movements as well as everyone elses which would slow things down a ton. But even if this game only supports lets say 100 players, thats pretty spectacular for a console.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

What? You really think it's that 1 extra person that would slow things down when we're talking about a 256 player game...? Not to mention view models of weapons are often as high poly as a character model would be anyway (though perhas not in this case, can't tell if we don't see a wireframe). Unless you were literal and you really mean it's the animations that would slow it down. No, they wouldn't.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EpicSteve
    LiveOrDie1212 said:
    "EpicSteve said:
    "Not trying to troll, but Sony has history with announcing games that didn't really exist when the announcment happened. "
    i have no idea what the fuck you just said buddy.....can you elaborate on that???"
    Go back and research Sony's E3 keynotes.
    All of these games have been announced by Sony duringi E3, most also had CG trailers

How about next time you don't sound like an ass, and actually read. Also, easy on the question marks.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By PufferFiz
    EpicSteve said:
    "LiveOrDie1212 said:
    "EpicSteve said:
    i have no idea what the fuck you just said buddy.....can you elaborate on that???"
    All of these games have been announced by Sony duringi E3, most also had CG trailers
    How about next time you don't sound like an ass, and actually read. Also, easy on the question marks. "
    It is called a Concept. It exists only in the Mind and on paper, there is no playable game to back it up.
    I don't see the problem here, You can announce concepts for the game while everything is still on the drawing board, But the fact that there is a trailer means that financial it is backed.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Lol they would only need like 4 servers up at a time XD

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EpicSteve
    PufferFiz said:
    "EpicSteve said:
    "LiveOrDie1212 said:
    "EpicSteve said:
    How about next time you don't sound like an ass, and actually read. Also, easy on the question marks. "
    It is called a Concept. It exists only in the Mind and on paper, there is no playable game to back it up. I don't see the problem here, You can announce concepts for the game while everything is still on the drawing board. "
    No, because that's stupid. I understand games get canceled up the ass. I merely disagree with company's announcing things before they have been working on it for a little while.
    RyanD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RyanD

MAG seems really interesting to me. it just looks like it will accurately portray a real warzone; with bullets literally flying everywhere, 200+ people running around a large map, and being one small person in this huge mess. I am just worried how my crappy connection will handle all of this information on screen

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pause422

The graphics definitely aren't anything special in those screens whatsoever, but if it turns out alright I'm sure it could be a pretty fun game.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By get2sammyb
    pause422 said:
    "The graphics definitely aren't anything special in those screens whatsoever, but if it turns out alright I'm sure it could be a pretty fun game."
    For a 256 player game I think they're amazing. I was expecting low-res Warhawk.

Alas, graphics mean nothing really. I'd like to see Zipper hold an interview explaining how all this is going to work now.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gizmo

16 players on Halo can be a cluster fuck.
    32 players on Killzone is a complete epic cluster fuck.
    256 players on MAG? Breaking down new levels of cluster fuck.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By get2sammyb
    Gizmo said:
    "16 players on Halo can be a cluster fuck.32 players on Killzone is a complete epic cluster fuck.256 players on MAG? Breaking down new levels of cluster fuck."
    However, Skirmish 60-player on Resistance 2 works fine, because it's essentially a 4vs4 taking place on a wider stage. I believe that's what they're going to attempt to do here.

How the fuck do they test this in the office? Do they have to have 256 people sitting around ready to try it out?
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gizmo
    get2sammyb said:
    "Gizmo said:
    "16 players on Halo can be a cluster fuck.32 players on Killzone is a complete epic cluster fuck.256 players on MAG? Breaking down new levels of cluster fuck."
    However, Skirmish 60-player on Resistance 2 works fine, because it's essentially a 4vs4 taking place on a wider stage. I believe that's what they're going to attempt to do here.How the fuck do they test this in the office? Do they have to have 256 people sitting around ready to try it out?"
    So this is basically R2 with vehicles and 4 times more players? Awesome.

Still, the lack of information saying how the fuck this is possible is worrying, but we shall see.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By OmegaPirate

I think one of the lads (or lasses) firther up the thread hit the nail on the head here - i believe the only real thing -if everything we have seen so far has been kosher - that is going to cause problems here is latency :/ To be fair zipper have had a lot of experiance with online with sony so hopefully have something up their sleave, its all down to how the game handles it.

Case in point when i create a warhawk server the most it will let me host is 8 people, which sucks.

When i create a killzone 2 server its whacked way up to maximum capacity and no one has any lag whatsoever

Hopefully theres the same kind of 'solid' network build ghoing on with this, i know back on my pc that 62 man counterstrike/ enemy territory servers would be laggy as fuck, if not becaus eof my connection but on someone elses, nothing worse than killing a dude who actually isn't there but then is but then kills you.

If this is truly 256 people at once, even a small portion of that, say 50 people, having a shite connection could totally destroy any fun this game could muster - imagine getting blown up by a plane/helicopter that you previously shot down, then proceeded, only to have it lag back round the corner for real this time and fuck you over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.