Let's save MAG!

#1 Edited by paparoach (70 posts) -

I want to try and convince people that MAG is a game that still deserves to run strong in 2013. It's so difficult to get into a Domination mode game these days that it ruins the experience.

Please, people. Go to Gamestop and buy a used copy, it's only 1$ (no kidding). Or buy it on PSN or whatever. It's a great, unique game and it needs a stronger online community.

If you still need to be convinced, read Jeff's review and/or watch thye "MAG thing " video on this site.

#2 Edited by oodli (110 posts) -

Seriously, if I could buy it for 5$ I would probably buy it.

I always wanted to buy it after enjoying the beta but never went through with it.

I didn't even know the game is still alive, i thought they killed the servers by now.

#3 Posted by kaos_cracker (634 posts) -

The only time you could play it is night time or possibly the weekend. Also, if we did this, everyone would have to be on the same faction, as well as another in order to play games, depending on how many people still play it.

#4 Posted by csl316 (8985 posts) -

Wasn't MAG GB's PS3 game of the year that year, or am I dreaming things up?

#5 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I really liked MAG, well as much as I can like a shooter. Of course all my memories of that game was of myself finding new ways to die. My personal favorite was parachuting into a level and constantly getting sniped as I drifted to the ground, that just kept happening for a good 15 minutes.

#6 Posted by Reisz (1517 posts) -

Sure, I'm in. I'll pick it up this week.

#7 Posted by Emoney244 (161 posts) -

Got it for a $1 a few weeks ago. Still haven't tried it. I'll give it shot this weekend.

#8 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Isn't Zipper Interactive dead now? I'm surprised that the game is still up and being maintained and not a PS+ freebie.

#9 Edited by fisk0 (4291 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Isn't Zipper Interactive dead now? I'm surprised that the game is still up and being maintained and not a PS+ freebie.

Sony published it, but yeah, it's kinda weird they've never put it up for free on PS+ (even as a discount thing as far as I can tell). I jump in every now and then, more rarely now when Planetside 2 manages to do pretty much everything it strived to do on PC, and Dust 514 seems to have taken most of the MAG players, but it's still a fun game, and I have yet to play as the third faction, Valor.

But, hey, if more GB guys will be playing it, I'll try jumping a bit more often.

#10 Posted by Aquablak (198 posts) -

I loved MAG. It would be great to see another instalment on the PS4. I know that's not likely to happen, but I'd be all over it if MAG 2 ever became a thing. :)

#11 Edited by EricSmith (342 posts) -

@csl316: Dreaming. I'm pretty sure it was God of War 3.

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

If you're looking for an MMFPS on consoles, wait for Planetside 2 on PS4. Word is it will be free-to-play and won't require a PS+ subscription.

#13 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (273 posts) -

MAG on the PS3 was by far one of their best playing, and one of the most ambitious console games this generation. Sure the framerate tanked with enough people on screen, the vehicle variety was non existent, there were so few weapons and some of the maps felt a bit busted. But god dammit, it was definitely one of the best games this generation.

I played a tonne of MAG, and if we actually got some peeps together I'd be willing to go round 2. Even some of the smaller non domination game modes and maps were pretty good.

#14 Posted by awesomeusername (4218 posts) -

It was a great game but I got in like a year later. I was doing pretty well but I just gave up after a while. I'm not a big multiplayer guy so if I do play a MP game, I'll play it for like a week or 2 and then stop. I don't want to go back to it though. Sorry.

#15 Posted by nnotdead (88 posts) -

i miss MAG :(. i had a lot of fun with the game, but i'm pretty sure it's all but dead. i stopped playing because Dom was the only mode you could easily get into, and was also the main game my clan would play.

Raven: D3ath D3ealers ^D^ for life

#16 Posted by fisk0 (4291 posts) -

Only 5 days left before the servers shut down now (they are due to be shut down on the 28th). Would kinda have expected the player numbers to rise a bit during this last few weeks, but instead it seems to be dwindling. Would be fun to play a few matches before it's all over, I'm currently playing Raven (as fisknoll), though I'm kinda considering deleting the character just so I can try Valor before it's shut down, since I only ever got to play S.V.E.R and Raven.

#17 Posted by ripelivejam (4312 posts) -
#18 Edited by RonGalaxy (3222 posts) -

No thanks, I'm good.

@rebgav said:

Yeah, sony could have breathed new life into it by making it free on ps+, but I guess that wouldnt really result in profit for them. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if sony santa monica was maintaining it. They're usually sony's go to for that sort of thing

#19 Posted by fisk0 (4291 posts) -

i prefer M.A.X.

Hey, I love M.A.X., and I'd love to see Interplay or whoever owns the rights to that make another one. Apart from the name, they aren't exactly comparable though.

#20 Posted by ripelivejam (4312 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@ripelivejam said:

i prefer M.A.X.

Hey, I love M.A.X., and I'd love to see Interplay or whoever owns the rights to that make another one. Apart from the name, they aren't exactly comparable though.

agreed, i just wanted to get that in there. :D

i was a bit intrigued by MAG when it was first shown but unfortunately i didn't have a PS3 available on the reg at the time...

#21 Posted by slyspider (1288 posts) -

I love mag. Now i need to go buy a copy

#22 Edited by OtakuGamer (1263 posts) -

I didn't like MAG. The only thing it had going was the huge player count and that’s not really enough for me to cope with the horrible shooting mechanics.

#23 Posted by fisk0 (4291 posts) -

I love mag. Now i need to go buy a copy

It's shutting down in 2 days, I wouldn't recommend paying any substantial amounts for it, considering there's no offline whatsoever to it, I don't even think you'll be able to access the tutorial once it's shut down.

#24 Edited by Fattony12000 (7528 posts) -
#25 Posted by slyspider (1288 posts) -

man, MAG was so cool in concept and it led me to my love of ARMA and the super realistic mods for it (ACE)

#26 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

I hope somebody does something for the game come Tuesday night, Ill be hopping on for a bit.

I don't even know what this is but I saw it as a banner for some guy on the MAG forums and thought it was hilarious

#27 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

Id also like to mention that SOCOM 4 is going down on that same day but I don't believe anyone is really torn up about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.