Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

MAG holding up

zander1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zander1123

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there was anyone who has played MAG recently, as in the past week or so. My friend offered to sell me his copy but because this game is based so strongly on community I just wanted to know how the community of MAG was holding up.

Thanks in advance for answering my question

RCola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RCola

I came here to ask the same thing. I'm wondering about picking this game up to play over the weekend. Any thoughts from the community?  

Also, I wanted to ask- I know this game was in beta for a while and has been out for a few months so are teams getting good enough at the game that I would get slaughtered if I tried to start playing now?

John_Martone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By John_Martone
    @RCola:

@zander1123:

You know, I'd say you should be fine. Actually, despite not being one of my "zomg, want" titles, I've easily put the most time into it out of any game the last three months.

Like, the fact that A) Leveling is fun, B) the game encourages you to transmigrate into other factions once topping out, really helps keep the game from having a stalemate of well developed teams.

I'll admit, its one of those games that's about 900x better to have a friend playing too, but it can be quite exciting. Plus, given the size and scope, I rarely feel responsible for the winning or losing of our team (the game specifically designs itself so that actions must happen in conjunction with each other [ala holding 2 points across the map at the same time.] So you'll be able to say "Hey, I didn't win, but we had a lot of great moments."

I'd totally still recommend picking it up. You'll find a couple of times where you'll get rolled hard, but those situations are, by the large, fairly painless (as long as you have a mic and have other people commiserating the experience.) Just remember the golden rules

A) Your first 4 points from leveling are always devoted to medigun, then the ability to resurrect other players. Not only are you encouraging better team play, you're also making a bank of XP
    B) You'll quickly gain enough respec points to respec like, all the time, so feel free to experiment.
    C) Only go sniper if you are absolutely amazing... or you're willing to not make XP. You're useful, sure, but you're not going to make the kind of points a level 3 front lines guy will (due to 2x experience objective zones, objective pushing, and healing)
    D) When you don't know what better to do, don't hesitate to just whip out the medi-gun and try and heal the dudes who seem to know what they are doing. We're often too focused to realize we're at like, half-health.
    RCola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RCola

Thanks for the reply John. I broke down and decided to pick it up a few days ago. I just got word that its sitting at my house so now I'm waiting to get off work so I can go home and play. I'll see you online.

John_Martone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By John_Martone
    @RCola said:
    " Thanks for the reply John. I broke down and decided to pick it up a few days ago. I just got word that its sitting at my house so now I'm waiting to get off work so I can go home and play. I'll see you online. "
    What's the verdict? How'd it go?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@John_Martone said:
    " @RCola said:
    " Thanks for the reply John. I broke down and decided to pick it up a few days ago. I just got word that its sitting at my house so now I'm waiting to get off work so I can go home and play. I'll see you online. "
    What's the verdict? How'd it go? "
    He's still playing.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ryax
    @John_Martone said:
    " @RCola said:
    id also like to know. i love the game. its one of my favorite shooters
    John_Martone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John_Martone
    @Ryax said:
    " @John_Martone said:

id also like to know. i love the game. its one of my favorite shooters "
    I stop playing it for, like, 2-3 weeks, then I pick it up for a week straight, wondering why I ever stopped.

The thing I've come to really love is that it hasn't become as top heavy. I still feel its hyper approachable, even if its been out for a couple months. Usually I have to get FPS' at launch, for fear of what the community skill wall becomes after awhile.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shadows_kill

it would be a great pick up and the community is still really strong (i really don't see it dropping since zipper is really good at adding things right when there getting needed and releasing a lot of the stuff for free too).

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By fugie7

the community is still really strong.

TheDoubleJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By TheDoubleJ

so i take it i should play this
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Red12b

I might try and get back into it, Work has been kicking my arse lately, And Red Dead Redemption looks ace... 

Goddamnit, too many good games to play. not time to play them

Piglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Piglet

I'm looking to buy it too...When the beta was out I pretty much spent every hour playing it and almost every game I was the commanding officer-I had no school and no job at the time lol, but when the game came out I was way busy with school and work so I haven't bought it yet.  Now schools out and I'm itching to play it again!

RCola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RCola
    @John_Martone said:
    " @RCola said:
    To anyone that is considering the game I'd tell them to pick it up. The community is very alive and, for the most part, people are willing to go out of their way to teach you the ins and outs. I don't play many  shooters online because I can't stand the way most people act online but from my experiences the MAG community seems to be friendlier (or at least less douchey) than most games out there. If you are looking for a online shooter, MAG is a great choice.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @RCola said:
    " @John_Martone said:
    " @RCola said:
    To anyone that is considering the game I'd tell them to pick it up. The community is very alive and, for the most part, people are willing to go out of their way to teach you the ins and outs. I don't play many  shooters online because I can't stand the way most people act online but from my experiences the MAG community seems to be friendlier (or at least less douchey) than most games out there. If you are looking for a online shooter, MAG is a great choice. "
    Sadly they need to release new maps or they are gonna lose people. I stopped playing because it did get boring after a wile. 
    John_Martone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John_Martone
    @RCola said:
    " @John_Martone said:
    To anyone that is considering the game I'd tell them to pick it up. The community is very alive and, for the most part, people are willing to go out of their way to teach you the ins and outs. I don't play many  shooters online because I can't stand the way most people act online but from my experiences the MAG community seems to be friendlier (or at least less douchey) than most games out there. If you are looking for a online shooter, MAG is a great choice. "
    That's one of the big components for me. Kind of like how Modern Warfare uses a system of mini-goals and achievements to help release player anxiety, I think most people will walk away from most matches positively, even if their xp was low, kill/death was terrible, the side lost, whatever. Its set up in a way where you just don't feel a lot of the "Well, we lost the match, the last 20 minutes have been proven null and void"

I think the community really gets into that. Granted, its only when people have mics, but I'll agree... they just seem friendlier.

@The_Laughing_Man:
    These days, I only boot it up when a friend does. Its still just as fun, and I'm about to Vet again, so that's something, but I get where you're coming from. The free DLC packs are nice, but I'm really just aching for another map or 2 for each faction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.