Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

MAG Review

Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shockwave3000

MAG is a first person shooter that is proud to say that it can handle 256 players online in one game.   While I have yet to face a 128 vs. 128 match, I don’t believe that it would be very fun.   I think that it would be total chaos with people being shot/shooting randomly.   The maps that I played also felt like they could not hold 256 people comfortably either.   They seemed more of a 32 or 64 person max.   The maps were also not very visually stunning either.

The graphics are very subpar.   They look like late PS2 graphics rather than the PS3 graphics that should have been in the game.   While you don’t deal with blurriness in the distance, the look is very basic and does not impress at all.   The grass on the ground doesn’t move, the trees don’t sway with the wind, just very disappointing.   The create a class is also very limiting.   There were between 10-15 faces you could change between and 10 different voices.   That was it.   Now I understand, a FPS isn’t about the create a character class, but if you’re going to include it I would imagine you’d take a beat from RPG’s and have a little bit more depth to the character.  

The gameplay has a very Socom feel to it.   You can’t take many shots and if somebody starts attacking you from behind it’s pretty much game over.   The controls take a little bit getting used to.   Having triangle being crouch took me a match to get used to.   The leveling up system worked just fine, kill enough people or do objectives and get experience points.   The game however just felt very slow and you will need to think about what you do.   While in Modern Warfare 2 you can move around a lot and cover a lot of ground, in MAG, if you go into the open, plan on dying almost instantly.   I find that there is much more of a sniper element to the game rather than a run and gun.

The music is a saving grace.   It’s a much more heavy rock type music than just sounds in the environment.   It obviously gets drowned out as the shooting begins but I was very happy every time that a match started and I’d hear rock music.   For me though, this was the only upside to the game.

I am sure that people will enjoy this game but to me it felt like it was a much more slow paced game.   Throughout playing it I wished that I had been playing Modern Warfare 2 instead.   To people who may say that I can’t compare MAG to the most anticipated game 2009 if not all time, I say why come out with another game that is extremely like it 2 months after it?   Also I understand this is a demo, but with the game coming out later this month, the issues that I brought up I can’t see how they could be fixed by release date.   I will be passing on this game.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mrfizzy

You cant review the game when youve only played the beta. Some changes will be made (most likely) between now and the release. 

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Daryl

Lmao.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nanikore

No Caption Provided
    unreal999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By unreal999

And this is why opinions on internet should be banned.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Andorski

Lets make this thread useful.  Anyone having troubles connecting to the beta servers?  I always get an error message.  I even tried at 6am this morning, so the server being overloaded with players trying connect cannot be the reason.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nanikore
    @Andorski: I had that the very first time I tried to connect to the servers, but then I just switched factions to S.V.E.R. and it worked fine.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    " To people who may say that I can’t compare MAG to the most anticipated game 2009 if not all time, I say why come out with another game that is extremely like it 2 months after it? "
    You have no idea, do you? This is like comparing Forza 3 and Burnout Paradise.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Andorski
    @nanikore: Interesting.  I'll try switching factions then.
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    "   

The gameplay has a very Socom feel to it.

"

No, it doesn't at all. There is respawn, it's first person, THERE'S RESPAWN!!! 

Not SOCOM at all! I shall burn you at the stake for saying something like that!!!!
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

So this is just the beta? If it is I wouldn't worry about graphical issues as they are probably sorting out the online aspect of the game.

Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shockwave3000

Wow, I apologize that so many of you didn't like my review.  I was simply stating my opinion.  As far as changes being made to the game by release date, it comes out later this month so I don't see how they can make that many differences to the game.  

And I apologize for my comment about it being like Socom, you are correct.  It isn't third person and it does have respawn, I should have been clearer that it feels more like socom in the realness of the game where after just a few shots you are going to die.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By jimi
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    " Wow, I apologize that so many of you didn't like my review.  I was simply stating my opinion.  As far as changes being made to the game by release date, it comes out later this month so I don't see how they can make that many differences to the game.    And I apologize for my comment about it being like Socom, you are correct.  It isn't third person and it does have respawn, I should have been clearer that it feels more like socom in the realness of the game where after just a few shots you are going to die. "
    You cant review a game that isn't out yet.
    _Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By _Phara0h_
    @Shockwave3000: How long have you been playing the Beta?
    Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shockwave3000

How so?  If a game demo is supposed to represent the game that is coming out why can't you review it?  Aren't you supposed to base your opinion if you purchase it or not based on how you enjoy the game?

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Warfare
    @unreal999 said:

" And this is why opinions on internet should be banned. "

You just might be right.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ineedaname

Reviewing a beta XD
    Thread delivers on that alone.

Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shockwave3000

I played it for about 5 hours yesterday. 

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrfizzy
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    " How so?  If a game demo is supposed to represent the game that is coming out why can't you review it?  Aren't you supposed to base your opinion if you purchase it or not based on how you enjoy the game? "
    But its not a game demo, its a beta. Demos are released basically as marketing tools (aka: this demo is awesome now go out and buy the whole game). Beta's are released so that the developer can find out how the game runs. Basically as a smaller version of what will happen at release. If they dont like how the beta goes, they can then make changes or add some general polish to the game. You shouldnt review anything other than the whole, full, retail version of a game simply because that way you know that there are no chance of major changes being made (in the short term at least).  
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    " How so?  If a game demo is supposed to represent the game that is coming out why can't you review it?  Aren't you supposed to base your opinion if you purchase it or not based on how you enjoy the game? "
    A beta is not a full game. There's a lot of stuff missing.
    unreal999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By unreal999
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    " I played it for about 5 hours yesterday.  "
    Again just make a blog or something because this is not a review. It's a half arsed opinion of a beta.
    Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kibblez

Some of you people are fuckin jerks. "This is @unreal999 said:

" And this is why opinions on internet should be banned. "

Dude just fuck off. What do you think you're contributing by saying that? So he titled the thread a lil off, big fuckin woop. At least he's actually got a topic to discuss and something to say. GOD DAMN
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fripplebubby
    @Shockwave3000: Hey I support you. I'm just glad someone had SOMETHING to say about the game, instead of just posting stupid pictures and talking about how much of an idiot you think this guy is for posting his honest opinion on something. 
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rowr

Reviewing a beta is just asking for trouble, but you cant be faulted having an opinion.

The game is clearly not for you. Keep playing mw2 like its the only game that exists instead.

Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shockwave3000

Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.  I was not aware reviewing a beta or a demo was such a negative thing.  I will keep that in mind as I continue.  This is my first review on this site so I will make sure to try and make the next one better.  Also Rowr, I apologize for making it seem like MW2 is the only game that I play.  I actually like to think that I am quite versed in video games.  I simply brought it up a few times because in my opinion they are of a similar game type so I was trying to compare them.  

Thanks to you who supported me.  The internet hate machine really started getting me down about expressing my views but thank you to those who brought them back up.  I'll do my best to make my next review better.  Hey we all gotta start somewhere.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    " Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.  I was not aware reviewing a beta or a demo was such a negative thing.  I will keep that in mind as I continue.  This is my first review on this site so I will make sure to try and make the next one better.  Also Rowr, I apologize for making it seem like MW2 is the only game that I play.  I actually like to think that I am quite versed in video games.  I simply brought it up a few times because in my opinion they are of a similar game type so I was trying to compare them.    Thanks to you who supported me.  The internet hate machine really started getting me down about expressing my views but thank you to those who brought them back up.  I'll do my best to make my next review better.  Hey we all gotta start somewhere. "
    There's also a feature on the site where you can actually set up reviews for games through your profile instead of just putting them into a thread.
    kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kermoosh

your probably just used to the fast pace of modern warfare 2, im guessing any fan of socom or that other stuff might love the game

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheHBK

I will have to try this MASSIVE ACTION GAME to see if it is as massive as the title suggests.  But if the maps are as small as you say, I can't wait to see what the game will be like.  But from what I saw in E3 coverage, it looked like the maps would be huge and people would be separated to give a larger battle feel but that you could make your way to others.

Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shockwave3000

@Kermoosh I completely agree.  The game is much slower which is one of the reasons I mentioned SOCOM.   

@TheHBK This very well could be.  I can only comment on the maps that I played.  They may have used smaller ones as this may have just been a server test and they wanted to start light.

@TheMustacheHero Thanks!  I'll look up how to do that.  I'd rather do it correctly than start a topic. 

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrfizzy
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    " Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.  I was not aware reviewing a beta or a demo was such a negative thing.  I will keep that in mind as I continue.  This is my first review on this site so I will make sure to try and make the next one better.  Also Rowr, I apologize for making it seem like MW2 is the only game that I play.  I actually like to think that I am quite versed in video games.  I simply brought it up a few times because in my opinion they are of a similar game type so I was trying to compare them.    Thanks to you who supported me.  The internet hate machine really started getting me down about expressing my views but thank you to those who brought them back up.  I'll do my best to make my next review better.  Hey we all gotta start somewhere. "
    no problem, btw, welcome to the site. 
    ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ToxicFruit
    @Andorski said:
    " Lets make this thread useful.  Anyone having troubles connecting to the beta servers?  I always get an error message.  I even tried at 6am this morning, so the server being overloaded with players trying connect cannot be the reason. "
    Yes It happens to me a lot actually. Sometimes I just have to log in a few times for it to work, but most of the time it just says "no" and wont let me do anything. Overpopulated servers might be the problem.
    cooger10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cooger10
    @Shockwave3000: Don't let the haters get you down man. haha. If the beta is what the full game is going to be like, I would have to say I would be very disappointed. The game comes out later this month though, sow i'm not sure how much will have changed in this short amount of time. I really like the idea of this game though, so i hope the full version is good.
    Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shockwave3000
    @cooger10: Thanks.  That's one of the point's I brought up, the game comes out later this month so I don't really know how much they could change within the game.  Hopefully the full version is better, but the beta wasn't fun enough for me to buy it when it comes out.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

This is not a MAG review but a MAG beta review, right?

Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shockwave3000
    @ReaperOfLiving: Correct. 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By Jayross

Did he review the game based off a downloadable beta?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By ProfessorEss

Half of the blame goes to posters reviewing a Beta, but half of the blame has to go to the industry for confusing what Beta means.
    Sometimes it's an actual Beta, sometimes it's a stress test, sometimes it's a demo that's called a Beta to make it sound exclusive.
    Which is this one? I don't even know anymore.

If this game is out in a month, I'm not convinced that this "Beta Test" is actually being used to truly "Beta Test" the game - you do a month of Beta testing for a game like 'Splosion Man not a game like MAG.

...but whateve's.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JokerClown88

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By demonbear
    @Shockwave3000 said:
    "  

MAG is a first person shooter that is proud to say that it can handle 256 players online in one game.   While I have yet to face a 128 vs. 128 match, I don’t believe that it would be very fun. "

I stopped there because this is where his post became totally pointless.
    Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shockwave3000
    @demonbear said: I don't think so at all.  When I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein with just 64 players, 32 on each side it was impossible to complete that objective.  So bumping that up to 4 times that just makes me believe that it is going to be even more impossible to complete an objective. 
    Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shockwave3000
    @demonbear said: I don't think so at all.  When I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein with just 64 players, 32 on each side it was impossible to complete that objective.  So bumping that up to 4 times that just makes me believe that it is going to be even more impossible to complete an objective. 
    Kefkaesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kefkaesque

A 6 day "beta" for a game due out in less than a month?  Combine that with the time needed to make the discs and distribute them, and there aren't going to be any major changes before release.  

I say a short review is legitimate.

Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shockwave3000
    @Kefkaesque: Thank you.  This is one of my major points.  Really, how much can they really change in less than a month? 
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Djeffers03

A happy-ish ending, YAY!!!

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mrfizzy
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " Half of the blame goes to posters reviewing a Beta, but half of the blame has to go to the industry for confusing what Beta means. Sometimes it's an actual Beta, sometimes it's a stress test, sometimes it's a demo that's called a Beta to make it sound exclusive. Which is this one? I don't even know anymore.  If this game is out in a month, I'm not convinced that this "Beta Test" is actually being used to truly "Beta Test" the game - you do a month of Beta testing for a game like 'Splosion Man not a game like MAG. ...but whateve's. "
    As far as i can tell, the closed beta was the actual "beta test", the open beta that is up now is acting as a stress test to try and find server issues before the retail release. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.