Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

MAG Reviews Thread; First Couple In Da House

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Thread for sharing and discussing the inevitable line of 5, 6 and 7 reviews for MAG. Don't expect to many coming early; despite a big event in London this week and review code being sent out late last week, the servers still aren't up and thus, I wouldn't expect reviews until Friday at the earliest from most places. Given the time investment required, I hope some publications even defer into next week.

Anyway, first two reviews are in:

Destructoid - 8/10

"Massive Action Game delivers on the promise of its name. It's certainly massive, and there is more than enough action to go around. MAG's biggest draw, however, is that it's perfect for both hardcore multiplayer FPS fans and newcomers alike. Those who want to get invested can go for objectives, delve into the Shadow War, and become commanders, while those who just want to run around and shoot the nearest enemy can do so. The battles are so big that everybody can be catered to, and players have the freedom to experience MAG in any manner they which, with any level of involvement.

Most importantly, however, is the fact that MAG's concept works. It works very well, in fact. What more could you want?"

TheSixthAxis.com - 8/10
    "There's no doubt Zipper Interactive made a really great game. However, only time will tell whether or not they have made a truly exceptional one."

If you happen across anymore, feel free to post on the thread.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By MildMolasses

I just caught the destructoid review, but I don't think I would trust any review that comes out before release. The scope of the game is such that you really need to have it up and running on the public servers in order to evaluate it. Since its multiplayer only, it lives and dies by how well it functions in the real world, and having closed sessions for reviewers, or however it was that these were arranged, isn't really accurate of what the consumer will experience. 

Bear in mind, this is not to imply that any early reviews are wrong, I just have an issue with the method
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Evilsbane

Hmmm early signs seem ok but I really think when the reviews really hit we are going to see a lot of 6's

xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xionpunk

The Beta was fun, but it got old. It was pretty fugly too.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    NowGamer - 6.8
    "Technically sound, but Zipper has done so little to make it's overly complex game palatable that we can't recommend it."

-- Was waiting for that one. Dude basically talks a lot about how he found it confusing and then gives it a pretty positive score.

@MildMolasses said:
    " I just caught the destructoid review, but I don't think I would trust any review that comes out before release. The scope of the game is such that you really need to have it up and running on the public servers in order to evaluate it. Since its multiplayer only, it lives and dies by how well it functions in the real world, and having closed sessions for reviewers, or however it was that these were arranged, isn't really accurate of what the consumer will experience.  Bear in mind, this is not to imply that any early reviews are wrong, I just have an issue with the method "
    I absolutely agree. As someone who has the review code myself, I can tell you that these reviews are based on the beta/day event in London as Zipper have not opened things up for press.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By buzz_killington

They (the reviewes) have to treat this game like an MMO.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TheHBK
    @buzz_killington said:
    "

"
    What do you mean by that?  I dont think you can review it as such.  There is no world to explore and its a fps first and foremost.  If they didnt get that part right, whats the point? Not saying they didn't, havent played the game, but damn, the Beta sure was ugly to look at and see it move, but kinda of fun.  It just didn't feel massive to me since the game tries to get you isolated but gives you updates on what else is goin on which is pretty cool i guess.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

A lot better than what I expected. I didn't find the game to be that attractive, although I didn't play the beta that much and I must admit I was pretty narrow minded. If this game has great reviews I might have to give it a shot. Maybe.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

what i expected. 8/10's is great, and really guys, its an achievement that a game this ambitious turned out this good.  
    im impressed.  
    i can't wait to see all of my buddies that are hardcore socom players jump into this. we're going to kick some ass.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Im guessing a high7/low 8 metacritic.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MildMolasses
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

i didn't like the beta to much. i canceled my preorder when i got into this game. i just thought it felt really weird and the graphics didn't seem great.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By fisher81
    Scorephoria gave it 6/10 

" Zipper Interactive definitely chose quantity over quality when making MAG. In some cases, this idea can tend to work itself out. Sadly, for MAG, quantity just led to apathy about quality. The problem becomes pretty apparent when 3/4 of the people you play with complain that “it’s just a shitty ‘Call of Duty’”. 

MAG is really fun at some points, but the fun wears pretty quickly if you aren’t just there for the mass killing, and the bugs certainly don’t help. If you’re a huge FPS fan, then MAG can be a good experience for you. If you care about more than just killing people endlessly with little reason, then be wary. "     
     ---------------------------------- 
    Also, as a huge GB fan and as someone who idolizes those guys, I love throwing out random GB quotes. Like this Brad quote from a recent bombcast talking about L4D2: 

"This game, as Brad Shoemaker would say, “does jack shit to tell you what’s going on.”    "
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

It's getting better scores than I expected actually 7 & 8's. 

It's absolutely true, the game does little to explain, but once you get over the first 10 hour bump, I think it's one of the more rewarding shooters out there. 

Was playing as Squad Leader last night and really enjoyed it. 

An acquired taste, indeed. But fun.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MildMolasses
    @get2sammyb:
    10Hours seems like quite a high barrier to entry. I guess it's a good way to weed out people who aren't really down for the cause, but it can also be a detriment to the games popularity. When you're looking to populate 256 player games, they should really make the start-up as easy as possible
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
    @buzz_killington said:
    "

"
    Its nothing like an MMO, if you're trying to find a caveat so you can dismiss the negative reviews for "reviewing the game wrong", you'll have to find a better one than this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.