Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

My life with MAG....lalala

Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Strubes

No Caption Provided

Let me start by saying I was EXTREMELY skeptical about buying this game, as the beta before release was mediocre at best.

That said, after a week of this game being on the store shelves at the local (albeit horribly informed) Loves Park Gamestop, I was talked into buying this game. After installing the updates and the actual game onto my hard drive, I looked into the character bios a bit and picked Valor. Once I made a few loadouts, I headed into the training map to refresh my memory on the controls. Done and done. Time to start shooting at moving targets. Headed into Suppression, where it's you and 31 other members of your faction against another 32 players of your faction. This objective type is best for beginners. No objective, besides communicating with your teammates (a vital mechanic in MAG) and teaming up to kill the other side's soldiers while reducing their body count to 0. After finally getting a firm grasp for the controls and earning MVP (or at least top 3) in a few of my matches, I decided it was time to test my abilities against the other factions, S.E.V.R and Raven.

Immediately after jumping into some Sabotage missions, I learned several different things about this game:
     1. I was pretty good. I'd only get better with experience and better loadouts.
    2. Communication and teamwork is KEY! No camping in this game. You WILL find yourself dying a lot that way.
    3. This game is DAMN good and addictive!

I recall staying up until at least 4 or 5 in the morning playing matches and ranking up with groups of players from the clan I was in. It's amazing how time flies when you're racking up points throughout half hour matches. I love how it's very objective-based and you actually have fun doing it. There's a load of things to get experience points for, and you'll be racking up levels and skill points before you know it. It just plays so much differently from the hugely popular Modern Warfare 2. It was a breath of fresh air for me. And since, I've sold my copy of Modern Warfare 2, and stuck with MAG. MW2 just wasn't fun anymore. MAG was a breath of fresh air, and after the recently released 2.00 patch, it only got better.

Now, I'm only half-way exhausted....I can still see, even with my eye lids feeling heavily weighted from this long day. I'm good for at least a couple Directive missions...
    Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Strubes

No Caption Provided

Let me start by saying I was EXTREMELY skeptical about buying this game, as the beta before release was mediocre at best.

That said, after a week of this game being on the store shelves at the local (albeit horribly informed) Loves Park Gamestop, I was talked into buying this game. After installing the updates and the actual game onto my hard drive, I looked into the character bios a bit and picked Valor. Once I made a few loadouts, I headed into the training map to refresh my memory on the controls. Done and done. Time to start shooting at moving targets. Headed into Suppression, where it's you and 31 other members of your faction against another 32 players of your faction. This objective type is best for beginners. No objective, besides communicating with your teammates (a vital mechanic in MAG) and teaming up to kill the other side's soldiers while reducing their body count to 0. After finally getting a firm grasp for the controls and earning MVP (or at least top 3) in a few of my matches, I decided it was time to test my abilities against the other factions, S.E.V.R and Raven.

Immediately after jumping into some Sabotage missions, I learned several different things about this game:
     1. I was pretty good. I'd only get better with experience and better loadouts.
    2. Communication and teamwork is KEY! No camping in this game. You WILL find yourself dying a lot that way.
    3. This game is DAMN good and addictive!

I recall staying up until at least 4 or 5 in the morning playing matches and ranking up with groups of players from the clan I was in. It's amazing how time flies when you're racking up points throughout half hour matches. I love how it's very objective-based and you actually have fun doing it. There's a load of things to get experience points for, and you'll be racking up levels and skill points before you know it. It just plays so much differently from the hugely popular Modern Warfare 2. It was a breath of fresh air for me. And since, I've sold my copy of Modern Warfare 2, and stuck with MAG. MW2 just wasn't fun anymore. MAG was a breath of fresh air, and after the recently released 2.00 patch, it only got better.

Now, I'm only half-way exhausted....I can still see, even with my eye lids feeling heavily weighted from this long day. I'm good for at least a couple Directive missions...
    Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Captainlunchbox

You made that game your bitch. I remember it came in one night crying when I left the door open- I just stood in my doorway and pointed, stern-faced at your door. It knew. It always knew.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By bacongames

Glad to still see this game has an active player base.  Hate to see good mutliplayer games just die due to lack of play.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Well, you've convinced me to get MAG now if nothing else.  I was on the fence, leaning a bit towards getting it, but couldn't take the plunge.  Sounds like a lot of fun now that there's a bunch of patches that fix some of the crappy stuff.

Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Strubes
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " You made that game your bitch. I remember it came in one night crying when I left the door open- I just stood in my doorway and pointed, stern-faced at your door. It knew. It always knew. "

All too many times my friend, all too many times.

@Tuffgong said:
    " Glad to still see this game has an active player base.  Hate to see good mutliplayer games just die due to lack of play. "

Oh yes, still a ton of people playing it. Zipper is doing a great job supporting the game. With the Greatest Hits price, Move support, and the new 2.00 patch, it's drawing in a lot of new players as well as MAG vets who wanted things changed.

@xobballox said:
    " Well, you've convinced me to get MAG now if nothing else.  I was on the fence, leaning a bit towards getting it, but couldn't take the plunge.  Sounds like a lot of fun now that there's a bunch of patches that fix some of the crappy stuff. "
    Glad I could help, man. It really has fixed everything that needed to be fixed, IMO. If you join and pick Valor as your faction, I'd be happy to show you the ropes.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Strubes:
    Cool, probably won't be getting it for at least a few weeks, but you can go ahead and add me if you want:  PSN id is Xobballox
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MethodMan008

2.00 is making MAG freeze constantly for me and many others...  Luckily Zipper has acknowledged that and is working on getting the patch out ASAP.. 

Anyhow, it's an awesome game, if any of you duders represent Raven add me on PSN.  :) (MethodMan008)

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By lead_farmer

Glad to read that more people are getting into this game.  More than enough people play to make the cooperation and communication actually work out and as long as the community stays strong, the game will continue to be fun. 

The updated skill system has really improved the game, and I like that you can have a profile for each faction now.  Once I'm done with sver, maybe I'l try raven.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Bigrhyno

Ya, I think MAG is a lot of fun. I wonder how good the Move support is. If it's really good I might buy one.

Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Strubes
    @xobballox:  Mine's the same as my username on here as well. I'll add you tomorrow. However, you can add me before that if you like.

@MethodMan008: I didn't know about that. I have to keep up to date with their blog I guess. They're pretty good with their patches so I'm guessing one will be up within the week or so.
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MethodMan008

I've been playing pretty much exclusively Interdiction... so maybe it's just that map that freezes...  But I get about one hard freeze an hour at minimum.. so it gets a bit annoying.  But yeah they post on their blog a few days ago that they are working on a patch. 

I can't stay away from the +150%xp tho.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shadow

I love MAG.  I've been playing it off and on since it came out.  Still gotta buy the DLC though.

Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Strubes
    @MethodMan008:  Yeah, that could be it. I haven't had any problems playing the other game types, and I don't own Interdiction.....yet. But I agree, the 150% extra XP is something worth salivating over whenever I start up MAG. It seems like I play my best matches yet within that hour.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy Interdiction. Less than a week after it was released the player counts had dropped to zero & even now there's never more than one active game in play at any one time.
    They tried to do a Battlefield style game type but completely misjudged the strengths of their own game. The maps are far too big for 128 players meaning that you'll either be sat at a control point doing nothing but waiting for someone to shoot or covering large distances between control points looking for someone to shoot. Running towards an objective is boring and takes too long & driving there just highlights how shit vehicle combat is in the game.
    Pretty much everyone in my clan ended up deleting it from their HD so that you're not placed into an Interdiction queue when going into Directives. As far as XP goes you can get more points/kills/fun in a game of Suppression.

Escalation is essentially the same as Interdiction but the map sizes are just about right for the amount of players and it concentrates on infantry combat instead of the piss poor APCs & it ends up being pretty good for what it is.

Player numbers should pick up when Zipper get around to fixing the mess they made with 2.0. The update finally got most of the weapons acting in the way that they should but crippled the game with even more bugs, d/c's and system freezes than ever before.

(I'm just grumpy because I've not been able to finish a full game since the patch. Interdiction is still a waste of money though.)

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By GoofyGoober

This is fantastic to hear since I have it coming in the mail. Glad you enjoyed it man.

Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strubes
    @GoofyGoober:  Oh yeah man. It's fantastic. I haven't had any problems/glitches/crashes or anything like that. If you choose Valor, let me know and we can play together.
    packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By packfan104l4
    @MuftyRiots said:
    " I wouldn't advise anyone to buy Interdiction. Less than a week after it was released the player counts had dropped to zero & even now there's never more than one active game in play at any one time. They tried to do a Battlefield style game type but completely misjudged the strengths of their own game. The maps are far too big for 128 players meaning that you'll either be sat at a control point doing nothing but waiting for someone to shoot or covering large distances between control points looking for someone to shoot. Running towards an objective is boring and takes too long & driving there just highlights how shit vehicle combat is in the game.Pretty much everyone in my clan ended up deleting it from their HD so that you're not placed into an Interdiction queue when going into Directives.
    Except now there's a 150% exp bonus to play the mode and there's about 200 per faction playing.  Mmmmm exp
    Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Strubes
    @Packfan104L4 said:
    " @MuftyRiots said:
    " I wouldn't advise anyone to buy Interdiction. Less than a week after it was released the player counts had dropped to zero & even now there's never more than one active game in play at any one time. They tried to do a Battlefield style game type but completely misjudged the strengths of their own game. The maps are far too big for 128 players meaning that you'll either be sat at a control point doing nothing but waiting for someone to shoot or covering large distances between control points looking for someone to shoot. Running towards an objective is boring and takes too long & driving there just highlights how shit vehicle combat is in the game.Pretty much everyone in my clan ended up deleting it from their HD so that you're not placed into an Interdiction queue when going into Directives.
    Except now there's a 150% exp bonus to play the mode and there's about 200 per faction playing.  Mmmmm exp "
    Well then...looks like after they patch whatever issues they're having with it, I'll have to buy it for sure.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Haven't convinced me to rebuy it.

Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Strubes
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " Haven't convinced me to rebuy it. "
    Not my goal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.