Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

Noob inquiries from a potential MAG player

Bitemarks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bitemarks

I've played the hell out of KZ2, and then MW2. Prior to these games, I wasn't really a fan of online shooters, with the exception of the PS2 SOCOM games back in the day. I've come to the conclusion that it's the constant sense of progression and unlocking that keeps me hooked. With that said, how does MAG's progression system compare in terms of unlocks, xp and customization?
    I've played the MAG beta and I wasn't blown away. I feel like I'd enjoy the game more if I could customize the control scheme to suit my play style. Is this possible? I know it wasn't in the beta, at least not entirely. 
    I'm looking for a new online shooter to jump into with some friends that's a bit different than the likes of COD. MAG seems like it has the potential to be that game but I'd love to hear some first hand experiences that people are having with the game.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Red12b
    Zaffa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zaffa

Yeah, the unlock trees might seem small at first, but that's because unlocking everything takes for-fucking-ever. If you like speedy level-ups you won't really have much fun after level 15. I think MAG's more about teamwork than anything.

Avatar image for altf4_for_colors
    ALTF4_FOR_COLORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ALTF4_FOR_COLORS
    @Zaffa: 

It took until about level 30 for leveling to slow down for me. Having a medical kit and resuscitation is a huge help in leveling. 
    Zaffa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zaffa

I just picked those up. Mostly been playing Domination, just started playing as Squad Leader. Probably not doing THAT right though- So far I've been camping in a bunker abusing the powers. But hey, the novelty'll wear off eventually.

Johanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Johanz
    @Zaffa said:
    " I just picked those up. Mostly been playing Domination, just started playing as Squad Leader. Probably not doing THAT right though- So far I've been camping in a bunker abusing the powers. But hey, the novelty'll wear off eventually. "
    Atleast you are using them. :P And issue some FRAGOs to where the action is, or where it is needed. Most people appreciate the XP bonus for attacking an objective.
    Zaffa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zaffa

Yeah, I've mostly been on defense since I started as SL. Generally sticking with "defend the burnoff tower" and occasionally going for "repair the AA battery". Later on when they were claiming points it was mostly "fix the sensor array" or just defending control points. 
    We lost that match, by the way.

ryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryuken
    @Zaffa:
    haha yeah that'll happen, I change fragos as much as possible but your totally right put it where the action is and where repairs are needs and your good. I still need to get used to the actual actions the squad leader does like calling in mortar attacks and all that. I just get caught up in the action and forget.  

about lvling and upgrading I respeced my guy 3 times by the time I reached lvl 31, I went for the meds first then the weapons after, I do look forward to being lvl 60 and unlocking all the goodies I wouldn't have unlocked unless I already had the other ones I wanted. like the poison gas and the grenade launcher.  

I just made myself a new PSN account so I could play on a another faction and I don't regret it, I got the meds to resuscitate and the SMG with a silencer and the sights at lvl 12. that gun is awesome! (btw I think the silencers on this game are pretty much useless except they look badass and sound badass) 

ok, I'm done dang Nitrous Monster drink works good wooooooooooooooooooooooot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.