Sony To Charge A Monthly/Annual Fee?

#1 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

This is just based on a survey going around that has to do with the game, but it could very well be true. It wouldn't surprise me that a game of this size and scope would charge a monthly fee. I have no problem with the game charging a fee, but I think there were many people who expected this to be free. Not confirmation at all, but it could very well come true.

Linkage.

#2 Posted by Max_Chill (162 posts) -

.................yeah, not byuing this trash

#3 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

I don't think they should charge a monthly fee for what sounds like a more massive Battlefield 2 that isn't guaranteed to run well at all. Seriously. A clan system and character progression doesn't justify shit.

#4 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

And people complain abotu XBL costing money.

#5 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
Subway said:
"And people complain abotu XBL costing money."
Well just know that this hasn't been confirmed and you can't compare this with XBL...this is something to compare with an MMO's set-up, like WoW etc.
#6 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Kush said:
"Subway said:
Well just know that this hasn't been confirmed and you can't compare this with XBL...this is something to compare with an MMO's set-up, like WoW etc."
The features don't line it up with anything like that though.
#7 Edited by Randolph (374 posts) -

It's an online shooter, massive or not, absolutely not worth paying for.

#8 Posted by Max_Chill (162 posts) -
Kush said:
"Subway said:
Well just know that this hasn't been confirmed and you can't compare this with XBL...this is something to compare with an MMO's set-up, like WoW etc."
who cares what kind of "set up" it is. Its basically a bigger version of Battlefield, a subscription fee for that???  whats next? are they gonna start charging for Rounds of bullets?? 
#9 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this possible set-up, but comparing the set-up of this with that of XBL is ridiculous.

#10 Posted by sheisty_shogun (256 posts) -

I'd just like to know more about the game (which probably isn't even close to being done) before I decide whether or not a fee would be justified.

#11 Posted by obiwan1337 (51 posts) -

From what I've seen of the games thus far, i don't feel that a subscription fee is justified.  However, if they do choose to charge a monthly fee,  i wouldn't pay more than $5, because it is not the same as an MMO.

#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Bull

#13 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

It seems good a lot of people pay to play WOW

#14 Posted by Plasma (931 posts) -

If they charge for THAT then fuck off... but if they make it at least like live was 2 years ago....

Flamebait I know, but think of all the stuff live has now thats pretty good for the price

#15 Posted by jakob187 (21785 posts) -
Gmanall said:
"It seems good a lot of people pay to play WOW "
Right, but WoW is a persistent ongoing world that you can't even compare something like MAG to!

I absolutely agree that if MAG charges a subscription fee, it'll be ludicrious.  If MAG can charge for it, then why not Killzone 2?  Resistance 2?  Halo?

You see the bigger picture here?  Say no to MAG subscription fee possiblities, folks.  They would have to do a LOT more for it to be worth a subscription fee.
#16 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

I do believe that the MAG producer at zipper games had said that the game wont have a subscription fee...but we'll just have to wait and see.

#17 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I'm barely excited for it anyway, a monthly fee would be the final nail in the coffin.

#18 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

they announced that there wont be a fee not to long ago.........

#19 Posted by Matt_ (337 posts) -

Either way the game sounds broken. I am going to say this now. There will never be a good multiplayer match in that game. By good I mean with good communication, teamwork, strategy, and skill. That is just too many people to try and tell to follow orders and work together.

#20 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Excited for the game as I am, I absolutely wouldn't pay a fee for this.

I refuse to pay for XBOX Live and this is no different.

#21 Posted by Chaser324 (6788 posts) -

Absolutely the only way this game will work is if it's hosted on maintained dedicated servers. A standard multiplayer setup won't work with 256 players unless they've come up with some incredible net code. As a result of the need for dedicated servers, there is a possibility of a subscription fee just like pretty much all other games that have their own servers (mostly MMOs). This certainly doesn't guarantee that there will be a fee associated with MAG, but it does make it a distinct possibility.

#22 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -

I don't thinking paying money out is a bad thing.  Sure, it isolates out a lot of people but that isn't all that bad either.  If there is a decent premium, it might be worth it for the mature players it would attract, but it would need to be a meaty package.  I probably would be willing to pay $120 a year if it reduced the chances of having 10 year olds.  People who are likely willing to pay that kind of fee would likely be 16 years old or older with a job.  As opposed to Microsoft Live which seems accessible by 10 year olds.  It could make random matches worth it.

#23 Edited by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -
If we have to pay a small fee to play MAG, then that's fine, as long the game works. Otherwise we might end up paying for something we can't play.

shadows_kill
said:

"they announced that there wont be a fee not to long ago........."
They did? Where did you hear that? 
#24 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

This is right on the line. I really don't think a shooter should require a monthly fee because they add a few more options. And plus, if they do it, others will follow...

#25 Posted by shipley_2155 (1 posts) -

After watching a video online it stated that there would be no online fee to pay to play MAG the only thing you would pay for is new maps ect.

#26 Posted by Alexander (1725 posts) -

There should either be a fee or no fee at all. The idea of paying for some games to go online seems crazy to me.

#27 Posted by Teh_Eel (296 posts) -

Well MMO's need to charge monthy to pay for servers costs and such, but MAG really does not look like the game that needs monthy fees as its just a very big online shooter

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.