The game has truly changed indeed...

Posted by Intercryllic (108 posts) -

COOL VIDEO IS COOL

I like shooters. I enjoy shooters. I love shooters. The 3rdPS/FPS shooter genre is by far my favorite.

Out of all the s hooters I have played (the list is quite huge) none to my knowledge have been as engaging as Zipper Interactives MAG.  

MAG is a Play station 3 exclusive Squad Based sh ooter thats currently in an Open BETA state as it nears its late January 2010 release. There has been a lot of speculation on whether or not ZIpper could actualy pull off this feat. 256 players in one game with a stable framerate and no lag sounds like imagination. But my fears were calmed when I dove in for the first time. Teamwork is required but you end up working together as a team as necesity. Given using a mic/heads eat will increase squad affectiveness the flow of teamwork is beautiful. The battles arent pure chaos. The maps are well designed and cater to the myria d of players. The objectives are spread out nicely and there is plent of action to go around.

There are two factions in every given battle. Whether you fight for S.V.E.R., VALOR, or RAVEN the gameplay is generally the same. The only difference is that they each have their own unique look, equipment, locales, and backstory. 

Out of all the shooters I have played (the list is quite huge) none to my knowledge have been as engaging as Zipper Interactives MAG. The gameplay feels just right in all of the places.

Visually the game is what I would expect of one of this scale. However it still proves to be a good looking game. The characters, the animation, and lighting are pretty damn good. The textures arent the best but they certainly dont look bad at all. With everything going on on screen the framerate is solid through out.

I really dont know what else to say. If you have any questions you want me to answer about it I will do so happily.  I understand that the game is only in BETA at the moment but with it nearing its January release im quite happy that Zipper is pulling this off. 

Also you really cant compare this game to those such as Modern Warfare. So dont even bring that trash talk into here :P

So if you have been skeptical, heres your chance to try it out without buying it. Take my work for it, you will be pleased.

you can get into the beta by going here 
http://psnbeta.us.playstation.com/MAG/BetaVoucher.php
#1 Posted by Intercryllic (108 posts) -

COOL VIDEO IS COOL

I like shooters. I enjoy shooters. I love shooters. The 3rdPS/FPS shooter genre is by far my favorite.

Out of all the s hooters I have played (the list is quite huge) none to my knowledge have been as engaging as Zipper Interactives MAG.  

MAG is a Play station 3 exclusive Squad Based sh ooter thats currently in an Open BETA state as it nears its late January 2010 release. There has been a lot of speculation on whether or not ZIpper could actualy pull off this feat. 256 players in one game with a stable framerate and no lag sounds like imagination. But my fears were calmed when I dove in for the first time. Teamwork is required but you end up working together as a team as necesity. Given using a mic/heads eat will increase squad affectiveness the flow of teamwork is beautiful. The battles arent pure chaos. The maps are well designed and cater to the myria d of players. The objectives are spread out nicely and there is plent of action to go around.

There are two factions in every given battle. Whether you fight for S.V.E.R., VALOR, or RAVEN the gameplay is generally the same. The only difference is that they each have their own unique look, equipment, locales, and backstory. 

Out of all the shooters I have played (the list is quite huge) none to my knowledge have been as engaging as Zipper Interactives MAG. The gameplay feels just right in all of the places.

Visually the game is what I would expect of one of this scale. However it still proves to be a good looking game. The characters, the animation, and lighting are pretty damn good. The textures arent the best but they certainly dont look bad at all. With everything going on on screen the framerate is solid through out.

I really dont know what else to say. If you have any questions you want me to answer about it I will do so happily.  I understand that the game is only in BETA at the moment but with it nearing its January release im quite happy that Zipper is pulling this off. 

Also you really cant compare this game to those such as Modern Warfare. So dont even bring that trash talk into here :P

So if you have been skeptical, heres your chance to try it out without buying it. Take my work for it, you will be pleased.

you can get into the beta by going here 
http://psnbeta.us.playstation.com/MAG/BetaVoucher.php
#2 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Thanks for the link, gonna try it out too see if you are correct about this game

#3 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

One of the reasons I want me a PS3.

#4 Edited by Vitor (2815 posts) -

I've never been so disappointed with a game as I have been with MAG - I loved me some BF2 back in the day and expected this to be a next gen version of that. Only problem is, it feels like a 5 year old PC shooter. The guns don't feel powerful enough, movement is floaty and visually it's beyond uninspired.

I'll gladly admit that the fact that they managed to have almost no lag even with the 256 players is impressive but that's the only decent point I can think of. The game has no personality of its own and is absolutely hideous in action - what those videos don't show is the massive amounts of draw in from objects as far away as 100 metres (!).

It may only be at Beta right now but the fact is that the game is out in less than 2 months - no way they're gonna improve it beyond recognition by then. Massive Action Game? More like Generic Action Game right now and, frankly, not a particularly good one at that.

That's only my opinion and others may actually find something to enjoy but the Beta left me feeling decidedly cold.

Cool video is Cool though - well made trailer

#5 Posted by jkz (4010 posts) -
@Vitor said:
"

I've never been so disappointed with a game as I have been with MAG - I loved me some BF2 back in the day and expected this to be a next gen version of that. Only problem is, it feels like a 5 year old PC shooter. The guns don't feel powerful enough, movement is floaty and visually it's beyond uninspired.

I'll gladly admit that the fact that they managed to have almost no lag even with the 256 players is impressive but that's the only decent point I can think of. The game has no personality of its own and is absolutely hideous in action - what those videos don't show is the massive amounts of draw in from objects as far away as 100 metres (!).

It may only be at Beta right now but the fact is that the game is out in less than 2 months - no way they're gonna improve it beyond recognition by then. Massive Action Game? More like Generic Action Game right now and, frankly, not a particularly good one at that.

That's only my opinion and others may actually find something to enjoy but the Beta left me feeling decidedly cold.

"
You voiced my opinion quite effectively. I just can't stand the lack of precision control-wise, and the fact that it is just so damn boring to look at doesn't help; the fact that it can be played with up to 255 other people doesn't excuse its flaws. I can see where Zipper was going with this, but I think it needs more time in the oven before it's ready for prime-time (damn, two metaphors in one sentence).
#6 Edited by Vecta (167 posts) -

I played the BETA for about a week before giving up on it. I wanted to give it a thorough rundown, and in the end I find that I dont like the game at all. The main draw was the large player battle and I was hoping for something like Joint Operations, where it actually feels like you and 160 other people are fighting it out on a battlefield, but all MAG does is stick me with a squad of 8(?) and tell you to either attack or defend a specific position and ONLY my squad is told to defend or attack said position, and only 1 opposing squad is told to attack/defend the position which means the game just ends up feeling like an 8 v 8 MP match of Attack and defend.

The only time I felt that there was a lot more going on then the game let me know as it siphoned me down to a set objective was when I looked at the map. Was disappointing to say the least.

#7 Edited by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Intercryllic said:

"
  COOL VIDEO IS COOL

This sounds like the most disingenuous piece of fluff I've ever read. Is this copy/pasted from a MAG developer's blog or something?
#8 Posted by MoistJohn (235 posts) -

thanks dude. i'll go fire it up as soon as i get home.
#9 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Intercryllic said:

" The game has truly changed indeed... "

By focusing on achieving the maximum of 256 players cap while doing a sloppy job on making the gameplay unique and abysmal graphics?
#10 Edited by supermike6 (3561 posts) -
@sixghost said:
" @Intercryllic said:

"
  COOL VIDEO IS COOL

This sounds like the most disingenuous piece of fluff I've ever read. Is this copy/pasted from a MAG developer's blog or something? "

No, this person really enjoys the fresh new approach to games that Zipper Interactive's MAG takes. Not only is it revolutionary, it is a ton of fun and accessible to almost everyone. Try it for yourself at   http://psnbeta.us.playstation.com/MAG/BetaVoucher.php 

*sarcasm*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.