Okay for a newbie to play?

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Usually, I avoid making these kind of threads but I need advice. My only exposure to Magic the Gathering was when I played a couple of hours of one of the games on PSN earlier this year and that's it. However, my experience it was enjoyable and seeing that the 2012 edition is on sale on Steam now for $4 makes me want to get it. I feel like I'll get it regardless, but I'd want to know if there's anything I should know before jumping in. Is the multiplayer broken or excruciatingly difficult for new players? Is the DLC worth investing in? Thanks.

#2 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I came to it totally fresh, as a game to play online with my fiancée who was intrigued by it. Now I'm hooked and play it most nights, and far far more than her, haha. I recommend it. It's easy to pick up.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: A couple of my friends who have never played MTG before recently started getting interested in it so I recommended the game to both of them. They're loving it.

As far as DLC is concerned, the ones I would recommend are the deck packs. They're not a necessity if you're the type of player that finds a character (deck) you like and sticks with it. Personally, I like to dabble with everything and mix it up so they were an obvious purchase for me.

The other DLC options are foil conversions which basically just make all your cards shiny (lol) and card unlocks which can also be earned simply by playing the game. I wouldn't bother with either one.

Of course the Steam sale is long over now so I don't know if any of this helps you.

#4 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (684 posts) -

Shoot me a message if you'd like someone to play with sometime. I'm not that great at it, so it'd be useful for both of us haha. @FluxWaveZ said:

Usually, I avoid making these kind of threads but I need advice. My only exposure to Magic the Gathering was when I played a couple of hours of one of the games on PSN earlier this year and that's it. However, my experience it was enjoyable and seeing that the 2012 edition is on sale on Steam now for $4 makes me want to get it. I feel like I'll get it regardless, but I'd want to know if there's anything I should know before jumping in. Is the multiplayer broken or excruciatingly difficult for new players? Is the DLC worth investing in? Thanks.

#5 Posted by yoshisaur (2700 posts) -

I am thinking of picking it up myself so feel free to add me on Steam, I have never played Magic before but have always been interested. This goes for anyone else in the thread :)

SteamID: soupbear

#6 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

I knew nothing about Magic other than it's like Yu-Gi-Oh, but laughed at a little less, when I got that game. I understood the basic rules fairly quickly and started enjoying the game.

#7 Posted by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

It's actually not that complicated, having the game enforce the rules removes all the confusion when learning the regular card game. I jumped in to this with zero experience and picked it ip fairly quick. Most of the good moves seems fairly logical.

#8 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I've never played magic the gathering before and have been enjoying it. I'm playing the noob single player and sometimes losing but overall the game teaches you pretty well. At each tier of the single player they have optional games that teach you some more advanced rules. I still have some problems when they use terminology in the "help" descriptions of cards and don't really explain what the word means. But overall it's accessible to new players.

#9 Edited by A_Cute_Squirtle (684 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

I am thinking of picking it up myself so feel free to add me on Steam, I have never played Magic before but have always been interested. This goes for anyone else in the thread :)

SteamID: soupbear

I'll add you!

steamID: A_Cute_Squirtle

#10 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

I thought about picking it up during the steam sale, but decided not to. I had been out of MTG since they started coloring the uncommon and rares, i still have my decks tho, and a ton of older cards!

#11 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

It's designed to introduce new players (as an on again off again hardcore MtG player it's kind of too limiting for me).

#12 Posted by dagas (2797 posts) -

@themartyr said:

@FluxWaveZ: I came to it totally fresh, as a game to play online with my fiancée who was intrigued by it. Now I'm hooked and play it most nights, and far far more than her, haha. I recommend it. It's easy to pick up.

Your woman made you play Magic? Where do people find these awesome women? I've never met anyone who doesn't look at me like some sort of ubergeek for saying I used to play Magic.

#13 Posted by Narx (173 posts) -

I was a total noobie before playing this game.

If anything, I have no clue if I'm good or not but it at least helped me understand the basics and i can now have a legit conversation about Magic with someone.

#14 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -

@dagas: Haha, when you find them, you lock them down quick-sharp!

What happened was that we got a free starter deck each in our PAX giftbags, and then we tried them out one morning, and I got pissed off at the complexity of it, while she became interested in working out all the different rules and exceptions. She picked up the game to better learn it, and now I play it waaaay more than her, haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.