Favorite deck so far?

#1 Posted by deadmoscow (265 posts) -

So, I played a ton of Duels 2012 - lots and lots. Right off the bat, the new decks in Duels 2012 aren't nearly as interesting, and there's almost zero multicolor to speak of, outside of the B/W Exalted deck. Everything has been playing pretty close to established Magic archetypes, with very little going outside of your blue fliers, green stompy, red burn, white life-gain, and black discard strategies. I played the B/W exalted deck for a while, but I've settled on the blue deck called Dream Puppets, which focuses on milling away your opponent's library. It's a lot of fun, and can be seriously effective in one on one matches with somewhat slower decks. With a decent starting hand you can completely eliminate your opponent's library in five or six turns. Playing the deck online is almost like playing an entirely different game - 90% of your victories will happen from milling. Occasionally you can get a hot start with some Jace's Phantasms that turn gigantic quick (I've had it happen on turn two) and deal a quick 20 in the air, but for the most part you shouldn't even be worried about doing damage to your opponent. In multiplayer games, dropping a couple of Howling Mines or Fonts of Mythos (increases everyone's card draw by one and two per turn, respectively) can ramp the entire game up into warp speed, which is always fun. What about the rest of you who are playing / posting here?

#2 Posted by thomasnash (586 posts) -

I'm trying to unlock the full 30 for the B/W exalted deck. I've found it a really good deck if things go your way. If you can get a decent number of cards down, get the Arbiter artifact down, and you can really destroy pretty much any of the AI. I haven't played much online though because I don't have the skill really.

My main problem now is that I don't really know how to pare the deck down to maximum effectiveness. I've just got everything in there but it means there's no chance of relying on specific tactics to become available really...

#3 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

White/Black is pretty baller.

I won all of the planeschase shit using the second blue deck though.

That deck is so cheap and an easy win.

#4 Posted by Patman99 (1619 posts) -

I mainly use the first all white deck you unlock. Lots of low power creatures but you can throw out so many it seems to really work for my style. I also dont mind the life gain deck you unlock. I've won a few matches by gaining a lot of health and then playing the card that lets me win if I have 40+ life.

#5 Posted by birdhermes (4 posts) -

I'm not really loving the decks in 2013 so far... Guess there will be a few DLC decks coming anytime soon. But for what it's worth I'm playing a lot with the dark deck (Obedient Dead) kinda dig the artwork and well it's a good deck for beginners I guess. I've never played Magic the Gathering before the Planeswalkers games. But I really like it! (I've played Yu-Gi-Oh! a lot irl a few years ago, never found a good card battle game after that)

#6 Posted by deadmoscow (265 posts) -

@thomasnash said:

I'm trying to unlock the full 30 for the B/W exalted deck. I've found it a really good deck if things go your way. If you can get a decent number of cards down, get the Arbiter artifact down, and you can really destroy pretty much any of the AI. I haven't played much online though because I don't have the skill really.

My main problem now is that I don't really know how to pare the deck down to maximum effectiveness. I've just got everything in there but it means there's no chance of relying on specific tactics to become available really...

Paring a deck down can be quite difficult at first until you figure out exactly what it is you want the deck to do, and get rid of everything that doesn't do that. Also, "combat tricks," such as instants that do things like untap a creature / give it +1/+1 until end of turn are almost always a waste of space. Wouldn't you rather have a creature in that slot?

#7 Posted by StarvingGamer (8456 posts) -

After paring it down I ended up settling on a version of Jace's deck that is more permission/tempo based and eschews almost all of the deck destruction. It's pretty fun but I'm working on unlocking the goblin deck next and that might end up being my favorite. I had the CPU do 12 damage to me on round 3 with it once.

#8 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

In order (roughly) from most to least fave:

1. Green (Garruk) (It was a lot of fun optimizing this deck, and I'm proud of my build.)
  2. Red (Chandra) (Originally my favorite before green took the number 1 spot. The AI was the easiest with this deck, and I totally enjoy using it.)
  3. Obedient Dead (It's funny how similarly this plays to the red deck right down to the shades/firebreathers and the high amount of creature removal.)
  4. Peacekeepers (I like it more now that I "found" my build. I gave up on aggro and made it a defensive/control deck!)
  5. Green (Yeva) (It's like a grab bag of extraordinary green cards.)
  6. Blue (Jace) (I took out all milling effects except just enough to utilize the one-mana 1/1 that becomes a 5/5. Proud of this.)
  7. White (Ajani) (I was surprised at how well this works as a beatdown deck compared to the Soldier deck.)
  8. B/W Exalted (I hated this deck at first, it was just not enjoyable to use, and on top of that the attack phase takes forever. My current build has a "pet deck" charm to it and doesn't have that much exalted. That said, Goblins in Revenge campaign effs this deck up.)
  9. Blue (Sky Summoner) (Finally beat Odric with it, but I had to put in the 3-mana 3/1 to do it! And I took out Fog Banks. I even had to take out most of the big finishers (too high-mana-costing) so I'm not sure what this deck is anymore, but it certainly is not a beatdown deck.. or is it?)
  10. Goblins (Just as I thought, goblins are repetitive and don't really appeal to me, however this deck can still be enjoyable.)
#9 Posted by thomasnash (586 posts) -

@deadmoscow: Thanks for the advice! What about stuff like having two Arbiters in my deck? I love the card and try and put him down every game, but at the same time I'm never going to want to put two of them down (barring someone casting a spell on him to destroy him, I suppose) Is it worth getting rid of the duplicate version or is the increased draw chance more important?

#10 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

Anything as cool as that B/G deck from 2012 that had those huge monsters in it?

Nothing like dropping a creature and playing polymorph to get an eldrazi. That deck was crazy.

#11 Posted by INV2 (264 posts) -

Once you've unlocked Primeval Titan, the Garruk deck is stupid awesome. I've had tremendous success with it. S-Ranked tonight. Won 4/4 games of 2-headed giant tonight also!

#12 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

Odric's revenge deck has surprisingly few cards in it and it's easy to remember everything he has.

• W 2/1 (the only one drop in the deck?)
  • 1W Hawks
  • 1W battle cry 3/1
  • 2W knight that makes token
  • 2W */* equal to number of creatures in play
  • 1WW 1/3 exiles a creature
  • 1WW Flickerwisp
  • 3W make 3 tokens
  • 3WW */* equal to number of creatures in play
  • 4WW Captain of the Guard
  • Honor of the Pure
  • Journey to Nowhere
  • Oblivion Ring

Some of those are obviously not 4-of's otherwise it would be over 50 cards.

It might also possibly have Mass Calcify in it? I vaguely remember him casting it, not sure.

Surprisingly, the 3/4 2WW isn't in it, neither is Doomed Traveler, or Master Decoy, or Archon of Justice. No Raise the Alarm either, I think. Shocking.

#13 Posted by StarvingGamer (8456 posts) -

Fuck the Liliana deck is junk, way worse than anything mono-black had in 2012.

#14 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

By the way I just played against Lilliana in the revenge campaign using my Ajani build. I won by decking her. It was pathetic. -_-

On that note I'm sure everyone noticed this by now. But the AI doesn't know how to pump their shades and firebreathers. They just treat it as a vanilla creature. The game makers really took shortcuts on the AI. Also, when the AI has an Icy Manipulator.. they will only use it at the end of your turn. Meaning they won't use it to stop you from attacking.. even if you have a Loxodon Warhammer. (Thank god.)

Oh. One other thing. There is an achievement for 2-headed giant. How do I get this achievement if there is no 2-headed giant in iPad version?? (Yes, the achievement appears in the iPad version.)

#15 Posted by StarvingGamer (8456 posts) -
@egg I have seen Liliana and Chandra pump their creatures when appropriate.
#16 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@egg I have seen Liliana and Chandra pump their creatures when appropriate.

When appropriate? Please. Lilliana had 20 untapped lands and still never pumped her shades even after attacking with them for like 5-10 turns in a row. I don't even remember if the AI ever pumped their creatures ever when playing Magic 2013.

Are you playing iPad version? Maybe it differs from version to version.

edit: Also, lol. Jace just now. He used the grindclock on me... when it had no charge counters on it!

dat AI programming

#17 Posted by deadmoscow (265 posts) -

@thomasnash: I wouldn't run more than one. Having him in your opening hand can be pretty neat, but once you've milled off half their deck, being able to pull a monster sorcery out of their graveyard can be a total game changer. I'd say run one, and leave the other slot open for some creature bounce / control options.

#18 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

@thomasnash said:

@deadmoscow: Thanks for the advice! What about stuff like having two Arbiters in my deck? I love the card and try and put him down every game, but at the same time I'm never going to want to put two of them down (barring someone casting a spell on him to destroy him, I suppose) Is it worth getting rid of the duplicate version or is the increased draw chance more important?

Increased draw chance is more important. Running one means you will not draw him at all in more than half of your games.

Normally if players wanted to avoid drawings duplicates of a card, they would run only 2 or 3 rather than the maximum 4. In other words, 2 is already very low. I think on average, the game will end with your library still having over 30 cards in it. (as it takes 7 turns just to draw 14 cards) If you run 2 of a card, that's only 1 in 30.

edit: My current Exalted built uses 2 Arbiters. And for my Yeva green deck, I took out Natural Order simply because there is only 1 of it, and I felt it made no sense to rely on (and even build my deck around) a card I won't draw.

Duels is a weird science if you ask me. Never had I look at MtG deckbuilding in this way before.

#19 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (24 posts) -

Inspectah

#20 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I prefer the Jace and Chandra decks. I started magic with Duels of the Planeswalkers... uhh... 2010? The first one and I've been using Red in all the games so far so I decided to try something different this time and try Jace's mill deck.

Overall though the decks in these games are really boring. I might try the Goblin deck eventually but none of the other decks are interesting to me.

#21 Posted by GrandMarshal (390 posts) -

using the flyers blue deck i managed to get 8 extra time warp turns in a row so i would say that its the best deck by far, it also has an infinite time warp combo built in if you know how to find it

#22 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

@GrandMarshal said:

using the flyers blue deck i managed to get 8 extra time warp turns in a row so i would say that its the best deck by far, it also has an infinite time warp combo built in if you know how to find it

With the free promo unlocks there are now 2 ways. The original method to use Panoptic Mirror with Time Warp (pretty straightforward) but the other way is to put Followed Footsteps on the 2UU 1/2 and use that to bring back Time Warp every turn.

But my build doesn't even run the Mirror, I don't see why it is so great.

Anyway my former favorite deck (Chandra red) suddenly seems pretty crappy. I guess I only liked it because it was good against the AI. My current favorite is B/W Exalted but that might change because of the promo unlocks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.