Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 17, 2009

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers is a streamlined, user-friendly, version of the popular trading card game. Take one of eight decks and engage in a battle of wits against the computer or online opponents.

A Pleasent Surprise Thanks To Xbox Live

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Edited By breadfan
    Since I bought the Fallout 3 DLC, Broken Steel a few weeks ago I have had 800 Microsoft points burning a hole in my virtual pocket.  I browsed the marketplace looking for a new game add on or a new Xbox Live Arcade game and found nothing good, until the other day.  So I log onto Xbox Live and I see an ad for a new arcade game, Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers.  Now when I saw this I had a quick flashback to my childhood.  Ten years ago I was way into Magic The Gathering, like I had hundreds of cards and played all the time with my brother and cousin.  It had been a long long time though since I had played any sort of Magic related games.  Until now.

I downloaded the trial version and immediatly picked up the game right back up and began playing the latest Magic The Gathering game.  I was pleasently surprised that this game was actually good.  I mean over the years there have been some pretty bad games that bear the Magic name.  So I ended up spening my remaining 800 Microsoft points and I don't regret it one bit.  The game's campaign consists of about sixteen duels, which unlock new decks and cards to be added to decks you already have available for use.  There is not that much customization involved in the game, but the game doesn't suffer that much as a result.

Quite simply I am hooked on Magic again, as lame as that sounds.  I've been playing to unlock more cards and playing online, which also works well.  I had never even heard of the game until it popped up on the Xbox Live Arcade.  Anyway I haven't blogged in a while and I figured I'd make a quick post on the game.  Check it out!
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By breadfan
    Since I bought the Fallout 3 DLC, Broken Steel a few weeks ago I have had 800 Microsoft points burning a hole in my virtual pocket.  I browsed the marketplace looking for a new game add on or a new Xbox Live Arcade game and found nothing good, until the other day.  So I log onto Xbox Live and I see an ad for a new arcade game, Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers.  Now when I saw this I had a quick flashback to my childhood.  Ten years ago I was way into Magic The Gathering, like I had hundreds of cards and played all the time with my brother and cousin.  It had been a long long time though since I had played any sort of Magic related games.  Until now.

I downloaded the trial version and immediatly picked up the game right back up and began playing the latest Magic The Gathering game.  I was pleasently surprised that this game was actually good.  I mean over the years there have been some pretty bad games that bear the Magic name.  So I ended up spening my remaining 800 Microsoft points and I don't regret it one bit.  The game's campaign consists of about sixteen duels, which unlock new decks and cards to be added to decks you already have available for use.  There is not that much customization involved in the game, but the game doesn't suffer that much as a result.

Quite simply I am hooked on Magic again, as lame as that sounds.  I've been playing to unlock more cards and playing online, which also works well.  I had never even heard of the game until it popped up on the Xbox Live Arcade.  Anyway I haven't blogged in a while and I figured I'd make a quick post on the game.  Check it out!
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Me LOVES THE MAGIC THE GATHERING!!!!!! Go Goblins!!!! Goblins pwn all!!!!!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

When that money is burning a hole in my pocket, I sometimes find treasures I adore.

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

I've really been enjoying the XBLA version of Magic.  I forgot that I could get so angry about mana screw.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I also used to be into magic when I was about 11. I bought this on impulse and am pleasantly surprised. Sure, the lack of full deck customization is sad, but it certainly is enjoyable regardless.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xandurson

Well I guess someone has to like it. Sorry but card games just aren't my cup of tea.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Ineedaname
    @GamerGeek360: Alot of people like it, including me.

However it is pretty good, there should be a concede option though, I used to stay if I knew I was going to lose, but sometimes you can see it way off, and just watching it is annoying so even I started dropping and understand why people do it, I'd still do it if there was a loss.
    dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By dethfish

I never played Magic so I have no idea how to play it. Now if they put a pokemon card game on XBLA (yeah, I know, it won't happen) I'd play the shit out of it.

MaypoMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MaypoMan

I'll have to give it a try.  I was into MTG quite a bit a few years ago.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By mordecaix7

I had a fit of sheer glee when I saw the ad on the Games channel for it.  MTG is one my favorite games of all time but had to quit due to finding friends to play with and the cost involved.  This solved both those problems for me.  I do agree the lack of customization is a sad thing, but I'm playing magic again and that makes me as happy as a clam :)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hmm.  I'll have to check out a demo.  I was always more of a pen and paper gamer, but I could see myself enjoying something like this.

Now, would it kill them to make a proper Rifts game?  Maybe an MMORPG?  Please?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond

It sounds like a smash hit.  I just wish they would have made a full retail product with a long campaign (200 opponents?), more cards and deck customization.

I really hope they put out DLC that works like : You pay your money, you have to defeat opponents in campaign to gain their cards...

Kraivyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Kraivyne

Well from what has been said by the developers. They will be releasing a dlc that you have to beat nikol bolas.

They are also releasing dlc that gives you customization in the game like backgrounds and new tables.

I am sure most of you are more interested in the DLC that includes new cards tho.

Anyway if your looking for some games hit me up on XBLA @ kraivyne 

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By breadfan
    @Kraivyne

I saw a video on youtube displaying achievements for the game that had expansion related points.  If you look at all the decks there are also two empty slots for new decks to be added.  I will surely pay for more content, I'm loving the game still.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.