Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 17, 2009

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers is a streamlined, user-friendly, version of the popular trading card game. Take one of eight decks and engage in a battle of wits against the computer or online opponents.

Getting into Magic the Gathering

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Death_Unicorn

So, I'm currently going through the game, and I must say, I'm really enjoying it. Now, I'm thinking of getting into the card game, so I was wondering if my fellow GiantBombers could help me learn how to get into the card game, with tips, how to spend the least amount of money, and which element-thingy I should start off with.

I like dragons, a lot, so I'm thinking of using fire, but are high level dragons found inclusively in fire? Also, would it be ok to mix two elements on your first go? Lastly, any specific starter kit I can pick up?

You can also add any other Magic the Gathering know-how a noob like me needs to know.

Thanks.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Icil

Just nab yourself a starter pack with a friend or something. If you end up wanting to add another color, you can buy another starter pack and mix the two colors together. Starter fire decks usually have a high level -something- of fire in there. I'm sure there's one with a big dragon.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

When it comes to what element you want to make a deck on, base it more on an ability or type of spell then just one type of creature (unless that creature type has specific abilities like Slivers or Spikes). As of right now, since you don't have any cards and are new to the game, I'd recommend snagging a simple pre-made deck and a booster pack or two for you to play with customization.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By subject2change

Generally as someone new to the game; pick up a starter pack they often have premade decks and such. It's been years since I played but being as they go through different blocks all the time it shouldn't be hard to get the latest (Blocks are 3 Sets, after the 3rd set is released the new block will begin). Also as someone new to the game going the basic of 10th edition (or are they at 11th now) will be great as they don't often incorporate heavy tactics and are the basic/beginner sets that  don't yet introduce different styles of gameplay.

Playing online will give you what you need to understand the basics, and I wouldn't bother playing the card game itself unless you have friends that play or are willing to play and a place to play that isn't someones house as you'll quickly get tired of playing each other and will need some place to play in tournaments or just for fun, trade cards and be with others that play. I was heavily into drafting (Buy 3 packs of cards; open pack 1 pick 1 card and pass to the left, until the pack ran out, repeat for all packs, build deck play best of 3 against everyone and person with highest win-loss ratio would get first pick of 2 rares that were pulled from the packs; foils included as well as rare and it would go down to 1 card per person afterwards and until no more rares left)

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MMkain

First, realize that Magic can be an expensive hobby (which is why I eventually quit)

Before you start, I suggest taking a little time to decide how you want to play the game. Phyisical cards (is there a strong local scene or a club at college) or online? Do you want to play casual formats or in a competitive tournament scene? This is important as it will dictate what cards you will use and the amount of money you should expect to be spending.

if you are interested in competitive play then the two easiest formats to get into are T2 and drafts. In T2 you use cards from the last blocks and sets (currently 10th, Lorwyn Block and Alara Block I belive) to make your deck. This is the most popular cometpitive constructed format and will likely be what your local FNM runs. The downside to T2 is that it can be expensive to buy the cards for the most popular decks and some of the cards themselves rotate out every half a year or so, meaning you will regularly be buying more to keep your deck up to date. The next comeptitive format are drafts. In drafts you don't use any of your cards, as Subject2Change explained: "Buy 3 packs of cards; open pack 1 pick 1 card and pass to the left, until the pack ran out, repeat for all packs, build deck." Drafts are great as they don't require the large initial investment of a T2 deck. There are other competitive constructed formats such as Extended, Legacy, and Vintage; however, I would strongly advise against jumping into these formats as most decks require you owning many older (and sometimes very expensive) cards as well as learning about decks that have been refined over many years of play.

If you are planning to play casual, then first find a play group and see what they play. There are some common casual formats such as Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH) and Pauper Magic; however, the local group might play something totally dfferent. I wouldn't suggest playing casually on MTGO, as it was a very competitive scene back when I played magic.

http://mtgsalvation.com/ is a good site to learn more about any magic format.

The best place to ask questions and find advice about the local scene is often the card store, paticualrlly one that hosts a local FNM (Friday Night Magic). There is a list somewhere on the wizards website that includes all the FNM sanctioned shops. You shouldn't worry about being a new player, every card store owner I have met is always happy to spend some time with a new player giving them advice and telling them about what events happen at his shop.

GL

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter

Make sure you have hell of wall of woods. And some horses.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I stopped playing Magic when I was like 11, but do pretty much what those guys said. If you don't have a creepy tabletop game store in town, I don't recommend going for the physical cards, just play Magic Online.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Thanks guys. I'll probably check out online version of the game. :)

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon

Magic Online is a great way to play the game without the hassle of  finding other players. My only gripe is that the menu designs for it have gone downhill since it first came out.

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MMkain

Oh ya, one last thing. Never buy packs unless you plan to draft with them, period. It is almost always better to buy the singles you want straight up then it is to buy a dozen packs and get nothing of any value.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_
    @MMkain said:
    " Oh ya, one last thing. Never buy packs unless you plan to draft with them, period. It is almost always better to buy the singles you want straight up then it is to buy a dozen packs and get nothing of any value. "
    Unless you buy them subsidized in bulk and help offset the cost hugely by selling off the rares, which my friend helped pay for college books for :-/
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Before you get into Magic, make sure your friends are to.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daroki
    @Death_Unicorn: This isn't a great time to be getting into the game in real life, since there's going to be a period of time after this next base set's rules go into effect where people are going to be confused as to how things work.  I'm still trying to digest never having to hear the words "Damage on the stack" again.
    MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MMkain
    @Jayge said:
    " @MMkain said:
    " Oh ya, one last thing. Never buy packs unless you plan to draft with them, period. It is almost always better to buy the singles you want straight up then it is to buy a dozen packs and get nothing of any value. "
    Unless you buy them subsidized in bulk and help offset the cost hugely by selling off the rares, which my friend helped pay for college books for :-/
    "
    The average player doesn't buy in subsidized bulk...
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

@Daroki: Wait, what?  I'm not going to hijack this thread but I have to know how they are changing the rules of magic.  Gah, I can't stomach re-reading all the rules of magic agian.

I would play the online version unless you have a local gameing store, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.