Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 17, 2009

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers is a streamlined, user-friendly, version of the popular trading card game. Take one of eight decks and engage in a battle of wits against the computer or online opponents.

Magic The Gathering Nerds Unite!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

Long ago I was a fan of Magic but, I stop playing.  After read that this game was coming out I made me a happy panda.  After playing the trail is was "Dude, I'm so buying this game!"  Is there anyone else out there that are going to buy this or am I the only Magic nerd on here?

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Icil

Woo! I don't play anymore, either =(

I went to a prerelease two years ago, though. Very very fun.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Luke

I used to play, like half my life-time ago :p 

I'm mildly interested, but still unsure.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

I occasionally play Magic Online, and I think I have about 500 cards on that. I may get this.

Kraivyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kraivyne

I love this version of MTG. I know it doesnt have all the cards but its a great game with brilliant graphics.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pazy

Ive been wanting to get into Magic the Gathering for a while but I know of none one who plays it so it seemed like a waste of money. This seems like an ideal way to try it though, how much like the card game is it? Do you actually have do it all (except say damage calculation etc.) or does a lot of it for you? Im really hoping it just an electronic version of the card game, not a version of the card game made for console play (if you get what I mean).

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I picked it up too, never got into MTG but I had friends that did.  I never liked the idea of shelling out money for random cards.

@Pazy I hear the gameplay is based on modern Magic rules which have changed a bit.  I don't know what else you're talking about but you have to place the cards, and choose what the creatures attack and what enchantments enchant and so on.

I would have gladly paid $60 for a game with these same graphics but it included every Magic card.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I was into Magic when I was like 11. Now I have realized that all CCGs boil down to luck of the draw.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zityz

I used to play at lunch breaks in highschool about uh 8 years ago but i gave that shit up once people started taking it too seriously. I ended up getting rid of all my cards ( around 300. not a lot of a magic player) for like $10 That's how much I didn't care. The guy I sold them to thought I was stupid for selling him all my cards for $10 when I had apparently 3 rares ( whoop de doo)
    So, I sold him all those cards, and he started getting into tournaments at some game shop, and I started to go on dates instead, hanging out with my non wierd friends, having some beers and playing goldeneye/mario kart 64.

I kinda miss playing the game, but only because i remember when we all first started playing and it was fun.Once its stops becomming fun and a game. forget it.

So long story over, I'll have to try the demo but I may pick it up just to fuck around once in a while.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pazy
    @Diamond said:
    @Pazy I hear the gameplay is based on modern Magic rules which have changed a bit.  I don't know what else you're talking about but you have to place the cards, and choose what the creatures attack and what enchantments enchant and so on.I would have gladly paid $60 for a game with these same graphics but it included every Magic card. "
    Thats pretty much exactly what I was talking about, a lot of the times card games have been brought onto consoles they seem intent on meddling with it and chaning stuff around. I just want the card game and some virtual (and perhaps later online) opponents. Seems like ill be getting soon as I have cash :)
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By breadfan

When I was a@ArbitraryWater said:

" I was into Magic when I was like 11. Now I have realized that all CCGs boil down to luck of the draw. "
    I was into Magic when I was younger too, just tried the trial version and I think I may be buying the full version.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think I stopped after Planeshift got out, I believe I have a book of that somewhere... Pretty decent writing too from what I remember of it, I still name my RPG characters Agnates, he was a cool dood and it sounds Greek-ish even though it's not, hah. I think I'd have been more into it if I had been an earlier player but around the time I joined up they started exploiting it way too much, pokemon-ising it with things like shiny cards, putting less cards in the booster packs, and releasing way too many expasions too soon.

I liked playing with a blue white deck focusing much on countering pretty much anything the other player attempted to do and destroying all creatures played at once, then doing damage with a few initially weak creatures that I beefed up with certain enchantments. Good stuff.

They should do a MMO that does't charge you for booster packs but rather has a standard fee, and the game's built all Yugi-Oh style so you do activities and join tournaments and such to earn game money and buy booster packs with, not real money... A properly developed game world that you pay a fee to experience and advance through, not a game where the more you pay the better you can be... It could be either Yugi-Oh style where people play in a modern setting, or actually use the lore of the games, which is pretty awesome.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I've been waiting for this day. I don't play anymore but i miss it so i guess this will be fun.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By TheHBK

Ok, i dont want to go to the game page.  What is this?  Is this a game coming out for the PC?  Xbox?  Playstation?  i used to play Magic but quit because it was just too much to keep up with how fast they came out with new packs, but it was a fun and deep game, more so than any of the other card games out there were luck was more inherent to it.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By End_Boss

I play MTG whenever I get the chance, which is admittedly not that often. I tried to get into MTGO with PureRok for a while, but I'm just not down for re-buying all my cards in digital format.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Ah, this brings back memories, still got like three shoeboxes full of cards around somewhere.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

I quit playing after Ice Age.  Got too expensive after a while, and plus...I hated that Second and Third Edition and such was getting banned from tourney play.  =  /

Once they put to "easy-to-understand instructions" on the Featherlite cards and such, that pretty much cemented that I didn't want to play anymore.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By jeffgoldblum

A video game based on a card game?
    No thank you.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By TheHBK

Hmmm now I am intrigued, so this is an xbox live version of the game?  Well I need to check it out but the idea of not being able to build my own deck kind of sucks.  Also, they should release all the other packs as downloadable, I wonder how big a game like that would be, have to model all the cards.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ineedaname

Give me a shout if you want a game =D

The last 2 games I've played I've been in a party with the opponent, both times they got me down to about 3 hit points, and have been cussing at me, but both times I managed to get out some health artifacts for when I play a card, and then some air defence, and turn it around, it's such a good game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.