Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering

Franchise »

Magic: The Gathering is a card battle-based franchise created by Richard Garfield in 1993, published by Wizards of the Coast.

Anyone Interested in More Magic Posts?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thatpinguino  Staff

Hey GB peoples,

Over the last year I have gotten back into MTG in a pretty big way and I find myself wanting to write about it a bit here and there. I drew some inspiration from MTG for my posts on lenticular design and on some of my favorite game mechanics, but I have never really made MTG the focus of a post. I wanted to know if anyone on this site plays MTG and, if you do, would you have any interest in reading some magic design/ deck building blog posts here? I have been churning through a lot of my favorite blog ideas recently and see some potential blog fuel in MTG. Any feedback would be great!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@thatpinguino: Yes please! I have recently been introduced to Magic by a work friend and have been absorbing as much content as possible (Spell Slingers and Limited Resources being my favourite right now).

While I'm most intrigued by Limited format, I would be interested in reading anything good to learn more. Looking forward to going to my first Pre-Release with Khans too!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

@bollard: Cool! Limited is definitely my format of choice and the one in which I have the most experience. I have about 12 years of experience to draw from so hopefully I can condense some of that into useful articles here and there.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really play Magic anymore, but I did look up the prices of some cards in my old decks and man Goblin Guide has shot up in price a lot.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@dick_bonerflex: You're damn right they did. I had the same experience with my Dark Confidants (one of which is foil). It is encouraging to see that people still don't know how to evaluate cards for the long term.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine it has something to do with Modern becoming popular, I stopped playing around the time it was getting big and it was just basically Magic the Gathering: Zoo edition.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@dick_bonerflex: It was a mix of modern and it being one of the best black cards ever printed. It just took people a little while to realize just how universally good it is. It turns out drawing an extra card every turn for 2 mana and a little life while still attacking for 2 is good. I did not play during Zendicar block thanks to college commitments, but the zooification of MTG comes and goes every few years. We just broke out of a prolonged stretch of W/U control and mono black control/midrange dominance. Spells only magic might be gone forever and that is probably a good thing in the long term. Getting dusted by spell based combos that you can't interact with really sucks.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By rorie

I think I'm past my days of playing Magic regularly, but I always like reading about it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Go for it. I've kinda fallen out of Magic but I still like absorbing info. Interested in this new block coming up and what they do with it.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes! I'm all about Magic. I only play with a few friends and we have started only playing EDH which I find to be pretty fun. Anyone here play that format?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@bongchilla:Iplay a little Commander. My sliver deck gets hated out almost every time I play so that can be rough. There is certainly good reason to focus down the sliver guy, but having to beg to not get ganged up on every game is a bit annoying.

@corruptedevil: They are re-printing some fetch lands so Khans is going to be one of the most opened sets in a while for that reason alone.

@rorie: You haven't missed much with Theros block, but the next set looks really promising.

Well it looks like there is some interest in MTG on the site, so maybe I can fill a bit of that gap! Woot.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Corevi
    @thatpinguino said:

Iplay a little Commander. My sliver deck gets hated out almost every time I play so that can be rough. There is certainly good reason to focus down the sliver guy, but having to beg to not get ganged up on every game is a bit annoying.

My favourite Commander deck is Primal Surge Elves. It's hilarious and surprisingly potent.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, I would love to see so Magic content. I was toying with trying to start a Magic thread like the Wrestling one. I'm mainly a limited player, but I might be tempted into making a standard deck after rotation, but I can seem mana bases becoming super expensive with fetchlands and three colour decks.

Also, I have been thinking about starting a Giant Bomb clan on MTGO for years, would anybody be interested in this? Sorry if this is straying from the topic, but as a lot of the magic population on the site might see this thread it seems like the best place to put it out there.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thatpinguino  Staff

@corruptedevil: Yeah sliver Overlord is my jam. Getting literally any creature in your deck for 3 mana is really strong. When those creatures are synergistic by design the effect is even worse. Sliver Overlord makes some nasty board states and he turns your game into an open-notes quiz. If you don't have an answer to a problem card, it is your fault for not prepping for the quiz.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never frown at new posts with substantial content so I say go for it. Just be prepared that discussion maybe a little thin.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thatpinguino  Staff

@extomar: Well I don't think anything will ever match the collective indifference that my literary analysis of Lost Odyssey's Thousand Years of Dreams received. That came out to a chorus of crickets.

@Levius: I don't think the manabases this coming standard will be that much worse than the last year of shocklands and temples. Plus there are a bunch of strong monoclored devotion decks to play if you want to go that route. I'm not a MTGO player. It would be really detrimental to my personal life if I had access to MTG at all times.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I only play in Standard format, but I'm ALWAYS down for some MTG talk.

Also, TARKIR HYPE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.