Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magicka

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 14, 2011

A satirical fantasy action-adventure in which you and up to three friends take on The Forces of Evil by wielding eight elements of magick and combining them in unique ways.

Instant CTD. WTF?

neozephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By neozephyrox

My brother and I have been trying to play this game for the past thirty minutes but as soon as we boot up the game it instantly crashes to desktop. What the hell? Anyone else having this problem right now?  This is ridiculous.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sjupp

Does it give you a black/white screen at startup or is it just "failed to run/critical error/whatnot" ?

neozephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By neozephyrox

neither. it just shows the zoomed out pic of the table with the book on it. then it makes the first 3 notes of the intro song. then crashes to desktop without any notification of any kind

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By KarlPilkington

Use more skill.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By neoepoch
    @Chabbs0 said:
    " Use more skill. "
    Use less troll.

@neozephyrox:
    This is a Steam game right? So it is assumed to have the latest updates?
    LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LittleBigJono

Best advice I can give is don't waste your time. The co-op (whether it be online or lan) just seems to break the game for me, even with all the patches they've been pouring out. Admittedly it works for some people it seems but me and a mate have been trying for days and the furthest we've got is chapter 3 with all the bugs before it just dies. Guess you can just wait until paradox or whatever irons everything out? Or play single player.

EDIT: My bad, i reread your post and my reply has nothing to do with it. Sorry, I don't know how to help if it won't even let you get in-game.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By august

Your video drivers and direct x updated?

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterDunlap

Don't mess with co-op for a bit. I'm pretty sure they're still working on the insane bugginess of it right now. So if you really want to play, do it in single-layer, and avoid co-op for the time being. You might check it out in a week or so, and see if it's improved since then. That's my advice at least.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By izzygraze
    @neozephyrox said:

" My brother and I have been trying to play this game for the past thirty minutes but as soon as we boot up the game it instantly crashes to desktop. What the hell? Anyone else having this problem right now?  This is ridiculous. "

Best to ask on the steam forums: 
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1071
    neozephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By neozephyrox

i am trying to get updates to dx, xna, and .net. based off of what someone posted on the paradox/magicka forums.   Honestly i don't see how my computer could play the game at all if i didn't already have those things installed.  Up until today, i was playing the game for hours on end in co-op and single player with only minor issues.  then today for no reason it just starts crashing when i load it up. 

neozephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By neozephyrox

well, i reinstalled directx and just tried to run the game for kicks. apparently that's what it needed. i can play again. even though the game is still pretty buggy

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @neozephyrox: I'll try that. Mine crashes immediately after the title card as soon as the music starts.

edit: Ran the dxwebsetup in "\steamapps\common\magicka demo" and it grabbed something from the 2006 SDK and that's all it took. As for why, I have no clue. Pretty sure I've installed a game or two that's newer than 2006.
    daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By daavpuke

Yeah, the installation process is really really weird. Luckily, it only took me 2 tries for that 3.1 .net thing to install properly and start the game right. I've been playing co-op all day yesterday and it makes the game even better than the already awesome single player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.