Magicka Is Going To Vietnam

• 121 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -
Arrowhead Game Studios-- the Swedish team behind the indie-hit Magicka-- infused their title with all manner of jokes, references and parodies, reaching from the legend of King Arthur to the Legend of Zelda. Today, the team announced that the best (and most ridiculous) joke yet is on the way: a Magicka expansion that trades the familiar forests and plains of a traditional fantasy game for the dense jungles of... Vietnam

Yes, that’s the theme behind Magicka: Vietnam, a 100 % real downloadable expansion coming soon to all the digital platforms Magicka has thusfar been available on. The rainbow-cloaked wizards seem to have given up terrorizing the monsters and townsfolk of Fantasy Sweden-America and have somehow turned their magical guns (and regular, proper machine guns too!) on the Vietnam War. Charlie won’t know what hit them... especially if Charlie is being attacked with meteor showers, death rays, napalm strikes and helicopters.

A sign with the phrase "Apropos Of Nothing" must hang above the Arrowhead offices.

Paradox and Arrowhead haven’t revealed too much more beyond the trailer and a release date of “soon.” However, the Vietnam expansion is currently being shown at the Game Developers Conference, so expect more details on potential changes and additions to the expansion getting out before too long. In the meantime, try and wrap your mind around the pitch-perfect-and-also-still-messed-up debut trailer for Magickafield: Vietnam.

Take this opportunity to ask yourselves how a wizard might react to be unceremoniously dropped into one of the most politically charged, controversial conflicts in modern history. How do you suppose a wizard would assess this particular situation?
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -
Arrowhead Game Studios-- the Swedish team behind the indie-hit Magicka-- infused their title with all manner of jokes, references and parodies, reaching from the legend of King Arthur to the Legend of Zelda. Today, the team announced that the best (and most ridiculous) joke yet is on the way: a Magicka expansion that trades the familiar forests and plains of a traditional fantasy game for the dense jungles of... Vietnam

Yes, that’s the theme behind Magicka: Vietnam, a 100 % real downloadable expansion coming soon to all the digital platforms Magicka has thusfar been available on. The rainbow-cloaked wizards seem to have given up terrorizing the monsters and townsfolk of Fantasy Sweden-America and have somehow turned their magical guns (and regular, proper machine guns too!) on the Vietnam War. Charlie won’t know what hit them... especially if Charlie is being attacked with meteor showers, death rays, napalm strikes and helicopters.

A sign with the phrase "Apropos Of Nothing" must hang above the Arrowhead offices.

Paradox and Arrowhead haven’t revealed too much more beyond the trailer and a release date of “soon.” However, the Vietnam expansion is currently being shown at the Game Developers Conference, so expect more details on potential changes and additions to the expansion getting out before too long. In the meantime, try and wrap your mind around the pitch-perfect-and-also-still-messed-up debut trailer for Magickafield: Vietnam.

Take this opportunity to ask yourselves how a wizard might react to be unceremoniously dropped into one of the most politically charged, controversial conflicts in modern history. How do you suppose a wizard would assess this particular situation?
#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Not actually meaning to quote that stupid meme, but that truly is fucked up

#3 Edited by isles (228 posts) -

amazing!

#4 Posted by Tordah (2487 posts) -

Seriously? I haven't played Magicka personally but I've seen enough of it to know that this is...well, totally unexpected and bizarre.

#5 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

Thats pretty freaking awesome. Im a wizard and thats fantastic. 

#6 Posted by thuiscool (107 posts) -

Their version of Surfin' Bird is pretty neat...but it's so weird... 

...also bought magicka after seeing this in anticipation.

#7 Posted by GaylordButts (10 posts) -

I'm a wizard and that looks fucked up.

#8 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

Have you heard?

#9 Posted by nERVEcenter (190 posts) -

I'm a wizard, and that...fuck it, just take all my money. Fucking all of it.

#10 Posted by BasketSnake (1286 posts) -

ørn ørn ørn..ørn ørn bjørn.

#11 Posted by Advertisement (318 posts) -

I am also a wizard, and would like to add that this game is awesome

#12 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Marvelous!

#13 Posted by nunami (99 posts) -
Awesome!
#14 Posted by notha (239 posts) -

perfect. wonder if they already planned this before they figured out everyone in magicka just uses the m60?

#15 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

really? i read this in the forums and laughed, now its real!!

#16 Posted by Getz (3154 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
" Not actually meaning to quote that stupid meme, but that truly is fucked up "
it's not really the meme without the full thing. You are safe.
#17 Posted by rottendevice (159 posts) -

Whoa. 

I want to play this more than Battlefield: Vietnam.

#18 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

I totally thought they would go the Modern Warfare route.

#19 Posted by Rasgueado (719 posts) -
@rottendevice said:
" Whoa.  I want to play this more than Battlefield: Vietnam. "
I agree with you! (Though... Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam is pretty darn good) 

Looks fun! I'm up for more Magicka content. =)
#20 Posted by Kushieda (46 posts) -

I'm a wizard, and this is pretty damn exciting.

#21 Posted by cooljammer00 (2043 posts) -

Charlie?  That's racist.

#22 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

WHO LOVES THE SMELL OF MAGICKA IN THE MORNING?!

#23 Posted by gbrading (2125 posts) -

April Fool's have evidently come early this year. Madness.

#24 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

Oh god. Yes! I love everything about this game.
Now, how long until they put the GB "I'm a Wizard" meme in the game?
They're in Sweden, right? I'm going to go to their offices and do it myself, just because I know how much all of you guys love that meme.

#25 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

hehe

#26 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

KEWL!!!

#27 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3463 posts) -

I don't know if any of you knows, but I'm a wizard. And that
looks fucked up.

#28 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2164 posts) -
@notha: Activision should have a wizard staff in their next CoD.
#29 Posted by RNiemeijer (132 posts) -

I'm fucked up and those are wizards 

#30 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!

#31 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

Who do I make the check out to?

#32 Posted by Tikicobra (415 posts) -

What's with all this "I'm a wizard" hoo-ha?

#33 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

I'm a Wizard, and certainly not a vampire.

#34 Posted by Zeemod (303 posts) -

I don't have to be a wizard to know this si fucked up.

#35 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Maaaan I love them.

#36 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

Call me when Magicka supports integrated graphics cards

#37 Posted by MrGetBonus (784 posts) -

This is so great.

#38 Edited by twillfast (574 posts) -

All along the witchtower.

#39 Posted by max3000 (371 posts) -

MAGIC NAPALM!
Also that logo in the end made me crack up.

#40 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

Wizards... damn

#41 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

Can't wait to jump back into Magicka with this after my S-Rank.

#42 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -
@Korne said:
" Call me when Magicka supports integrated graphics cards "
They said on the Steam forums that they won't be supporting them because it would require reworking the entire engine. Sorry.
#43 Posted by gosukiller (2325 posts) -
@Tikicobra: Bombcast. Like 2 weeks ago.
#44 Posted by Bumpton (456 posts) -
@Tikicobra said:
"What's with all this "I'm a wizard" hoo-ha? "

Haha, it's from the Bombcast. It was Jeff's impression of a wizard in Dragon Age 2. Clearly it was spot on.
#45 Posted by Darknight630 (19 posts) -

Fixed the trailer everyone: 
http://youtubedoubler.com/1Fr6

Mute the Magika trailer.

#46 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

My uncle, Private. Anders, was a wizard in vietnam. Couldn't even tell what language the natives were speaking, could have been Swedish, could have been dalish. Or he just did a lot of lyrium at the time. He said things just fade d together and it was fucked up.

#47 Posted by CrispyT68 (28 posts) -

Credit Paradox and Arrowhead with coming up with something farther out of left field than they already had.  I love the smell of Magicka in the morning...

#48 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -

Might be time to get me a copy of Magika. The generic fantasy setting didn't do much for me, this seems to solve that problem in a crazy way I like.

#49 Posted by Pop (2651 posts) -

Battlefield bad wizards 2

#50 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

Makes for a great new wallpaper.

Full size image here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.