Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Major League Gaming

Concept »

MLG (Major League Gaming) is the most successful and well-established competitive gaming league in the world. Encompassing many competitive multiplayer games, from Super Smash Bros Brawl to Halo 3, becoming a professional gamer through MLG is the goal of aspiring players all around the world.

Activision Blizzard acquires MLG

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hassun

http://esportsobserver.com/mlg-sells-substantially-all-assets-to-activision-blizzard-for-46-million/

This is pretty big news in the E-sports world. Activision Blizzard, Inc. has basically acquired MLG (and not in a very subtle or friendly way either apparently). I know they've been investing in E-sports for a while but this is a pretty big move. I expect aggressive moves in the tournament scene for games like Hearthstone, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, SC2, CoD, ...

Eurogamer has added a quote from Robert Kotick:

"Our acquisition of Major League Gaming's business furthers our plans to create the ESPN of esports," said Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick. "MLG's ability to create premium content and its proven broadcast technology platform - including its live streaming capabilities - strengthens our strategic position in competitive gaming. MLG has an incredibly strong and seasoned team and a thriving community. Together, we will create new ways to celebrate players and their unique skills, dedication and commitment to gaming. We are excited to add Sundance and the entire MLG esports team to our competitive gaming initiatives."

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hassun

Added a quote from good old Mr. Moneyball himself.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

would be interesting to see if they keep supporting non-Activision Blizzard games like CSGO

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

@dystopiax: I think it would be a bad business move not to. You can't make the "espn of esports" by excluding some of the most popular games and their fanbases (Lol, dota, and csgo). They couldn't build on just blizzards games alone. I mean heroes is great to watch and overwatch looks cool, but they aren't that heavy of hitters yet. The starcraft scene can be significant especuially for wcs, but its not growing anytime soon. Hearthstone would be the only thing really pulling viewers.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thank fuck Leauge Of Legends are independent of MLG otherwise this news would probably be devastating for Riot

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mezza: LoL controls their tournament scene and MLG was already not involved, CS Go is continuing for now, no idea what they do/did with Dota.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The International is the product they need to compete with.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't worry about CSGO, because Valve knows how to do it if MLG drops the game. Dota 2's scene is a huge success.

But if Activision is just trying to fill it with their own games, it seems like a silly investment, because they are big enough, and have enough games that they could've just branded their own thing.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I cannot fathom Activision coming in and dropping all the other games. It literally benefits no one, especially not them, because by doing do they would immediately limit the scope of their audience. At worst, their games are going to get a bigger presence/push than some of the competition, but that's about it. Kotick isn't an idiot.

If anything, this move gets me more excited than I ever was anything related to MLG because if there's any current company I can see creating the ESPN of esports, it'd probably be Activision.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm just curious to see how the new wave of dank memes will turn out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.