Hey, Watch Some Pro StarCraft This Weekend At MLG Dallas

• 183 results
Posted by Brad (3164 posts) -

If you've been hanging around this website or our sister site Tested lately, you've probably gotten sick of hearing Norm Chan and myself babbling on and on about competitive StarCraft II. Or you've realized that watching competitive StarCraft II is the best thing ever. If you're either of these people, you should head over to the Major League Gaming site this weekend and check out the tournament streams they're running from their Dallas event this weekend. You will either love what they've got going on or, damnit, you will learn to love it.

HuK, winner of MLG Raleigh and veteran of Thursday Night Throwdown.

I have to stress that you don't need to be a Diamond-level player to appreciate pro-grade StarCraft II matches. That's what commentators are for, and MLG has some great ones onboard, starting with Sean "Day[9]" Plott, whose Day[9] Daily is essential viewing if you're actually serious about getting better at (or at least understanding) SC2 on a fundamental level. Other well known casters like Marcus "DJWheat" Graham and (friend of Giant Bomb) the MLG's own JP McDaniel will be throwing down their commentary to explain what's going on minuet to minute.

Anybody who's already keeping up with pro SC2 will only need to hear names like IdrA, HuK, and TheLittleOne to know that this tourney is serious business. If those names just sound ridiculous to you, just know these guys are among the best SC2 players outside Korea... although they'll all be heading back to Korea after this is over with to start practicing for the next season of the GomTV StarCraft League. You're guaranteed to see some very high-level play on the stream this weekend (a free version of which is available) so if you're wondering what the hell I've been babbling about on the podcast week after week, this is a good place to start.

MLG will be running tournaments around other games like Halo: Reach, Tekken 6, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, if those flavors are more agreeable to your palate. Me, I'll be spending the weekend keeping an eye on the MLG stream while catching up on GSL matches in preparation for next week's finals. And probably thinking hard about finding something else to do with my life besides StarCraft.
#1 Posted by Brad (3164 posts) -

If you've been hanging around this website or our sister site Tested lately, you've probably gotten sick of hearing Norm Chan and myself babbling on and on about competitive StarCraft II. Or you've realized that watching competitive StarCraft II is the best thing ever. If you're either of these people, you should head over to the Major League Gaming site this weekend and check out the tournament streams they're running from their Dallas event this weekend. You will either love what they've got going on or, damnit, you will learn to love it.

HuK, winner of MLG Raleigh and veteran of Thursday Night Throwdown.

I have to stress that you don't need to be a Diamond-level player to appreciate pro-grade StarCraft II matches. That's what commentators are for, and MLG has some great ones onboard, starting with Sean "Day[9]" Plott, whose Day[9] Daily is essential viewing if you're actually serious about getting better at (or at least understanding) SC2 on a fundamental level. Other well known casters like Marcus "DJWheat" Graham and (friend of Giant Bomb) the MLG's own JP McDaniel will be throwing down their commentary to explain what's going on minuet to minute.

Anybody who's already keeping up with pro SC2 will only need to hear names like IdrA, HuK, and TheLittleOne to know that this tourney is serious business. If those names just sound ridiculous to you, just know these guys are among the best SC2 players outside Korea... although they'll all be heading back to Korea after this is over with to start practicing for the next season of the GomTV StarCraft League. You're guaranteed to see some very high-level play on the stream this weekend (a free version of which is available) so if you're wondering what the hell I've been babbling about on the podcast week after week, this is a good place to start.

MLG will be running tournaments around other games like Halo: Reach, Tekken 6, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, if those flavors are more agreeable to your palate. Me, I'll be spending the weekend keeping an eye on the MLG stream while catching up on GSL matches in preparation for next week's finals. And probably thinking hard about finding something else to do with my life besides StarCraft.
#2 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

MORE STARCRAFT!!!

#3 Posted by Ishatawk (73 posts) -

MLG + Starcraft = I still don't care.

#4 Posted by Slayne (46 posts) -

Snazzy.

#5 Posted by Seedofpower (3937 posts) -

No brad.

#6 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

I love how HuK's hand is a blur.

#7 Posted by Depth (356 posts) -

Yes, i will watch starcraft.

#8 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -
@Ishatawk said:
" MLG + Starcraft = I still don't care. "
#9 Posted by Funger (34 posts) -

Brad, what do you think of the GSL finals.  I can't believe SlayerSBoxeR lost 4 straight games against NesTea, but I think Foxer can take him.

#10 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Awesome.

#11 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -
@Funger said:
" Brad, what do you think of the GSL finals.  I can't believe SlayerSBoxeR lost 4 straight games against NesTea, but I think Foxer can take him. "
Foxer? Is that fake Boxer or is it someone I'm not familiar with?
#12 Posted by Zurv (448 posts) -

*yawn*
#13 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -

I have been waiting for Brad to recommend some sites and tornaments for StarCraft. 

Day[9] is a legend.

#14 Posted by Solskugga (71 posts) -
@Tactical_Kill said:
" @Funger said:
" Brad, what do you think of the GSL finals.  I can't believe SlayerSBoxeR lost 4 straight games against NesTea, but I think Foxer can take him. "
Foxer? Is that fake Boxer or is it someone I'm not familiar with? "
Yes that is fake boxer. 

On subject gogo MLG Dallas
#15 Posted by BlaineBlaine (463 posts) -

I actually enjoyed watching Norm and Brad doing color commentary during TNT. 

I considered checking this out until I was prompted to download some random ass video plug-in. It's 2010. Use Flash or HTML5 otherwise I'm out.

#16 Edited by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

Starcraftstarcraftstarcraft
the more the better

Hope you were watching the Axlav v Nony game Brad. That was nuts

#17 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Norm and brad's commentary was awesome. Here's hoping for another SC2 TNT.

#18 Posted by Llama (180 posts) -

I love how MLG didn't haven any Starcraft 2 before and now it's their most popular stream! Apparently it pulls about 3 to 4 times as many viewers as all the other combined :D

#19 Posted by Noodles (539 posts) -
@Ishatawk said:
Then why even post? Why even click the article?
#20 Posted by Advertisement (318 posts) -

HuK Norris 

#21 Posted by plop1920 (451 posts) -

WTF no wow tourney????

#22 Posted by bybeach (4892 posts) -

I enjoyed Brad and norm duking it out, and commenting on a pro game...more of that. 

#23 Edited by audiosnag (1604 posts) -
@Noodles said:

" @Ishatawk said:

Then why even post? Why even click the article? "
That seems like a pretty easy concept to grasp...which is why i don't understand how its that difficult for some people to figure out.
#24 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

Thanks to this i remembered MLG Dallas was going on! Im more into watching the final Halo 3 tournament  but Ill gladly check into some Starcraft 2 just to have no clue what is going on but still find it fascinating.

#25 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I'll watch practically anything that involves the delectable tones of Mr Plott these days. Which is probably why ive spent much of the last four hours glued to the MLG stream!

#26 Posted by freakle (4 posts) -

i just wanna see some fruit get selled

#27 Posted by blackbird415 (777 posts) -

the mlg video feed wont work for some reason :(

#28 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Day9 is a pretty good commentator, I watched quite a few matches at New York Comic Con and was able to follow them because of him.

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (19016 posts) -

No thanks.  Watching SoCal Regionals this weekend.

#30 Edited by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Huh, it's showing Halo 3 stuff.  ah got it.

#31 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

The stream has weaker than 240p video quality, and 10 bucks for HD seems a little steep to me. Still I'm glad I've been clued in, I'm a fiend for Starcraft games with commentary

#32 Posted by Krios (2 posts) -

Awesome, we need more StarCraft on the podcast, I'm looking at you Brad!

#33 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -

Yeah right. I'm not watching Starcraft on MLG weekend. Halo 3 all the way. 

#34 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1508 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up. Watching it now. Good luck, have Batman

#35 Posted by Sil3n7 (1191 posts) -

Finals for Gsl2 are gonna be EPIC!!!!!

#36 Posted by rndmtask (144 posts) -

Competitive Super Smash Bros. That's funny.

#37 Posted by Crono (2685 posts) -

Brad, I for one have to say there isn't enough StarCraft 2 on this site.  You're really slacking man!

#38 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

This makes me want to play SCII, but it doesn't make me understand what the hell is going on. It seems like trying to follow an RTS is like trying to follow a multi-threaded program. Until you get to a point where you can try to anticipate what is going to happen on both sides, there is really no way to keep track of what is going on. I got the moments that made everyone cheer, but I didn't really get what was going on before then. Also, I really wish that they would use peoples real names. That would make the commentary much easier to follow.

EDIT: On top of that, not knowing the maps makes following stuff really hard. Really, what I'm trying to say is that this is not an event that is inviting to outsiders.

#39 Posted by mixup (4 posts) -

no love for the big fighting game tournament in SoCal?? Sako is there! check eventhubs if you're interested ;)

#40 Posted by Everybody_Poops (70 posts) -

Competitve starcraft 2 is entertaining for all. Watch this:
 http://www.giantbomb.com/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty/61-20674/your-single-favourite-match/35-464342/

#41 Posted by tankintheair315 (349 posts) -

Hell yeah you know you love pro starcraft.

#42 Posted by Hennet_sim (339 posts) -

Watching Pro starcraft matches are very entertaining you don;t see many cheese starters like 6 pool.

#43 Edited by user_1 (25 posts) -

Or, if you want some street fighter 4....

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/leveluplive

Probably the best stream of the year. Top players from Japan, and Taiwan in southern california.

#44 Posted by bennym6 (417 posts) -

MLG halo Igoturpistola is beast

#45 Posted by leebmx (2247 posts) -

Can some one explain what "natural," and 4 (or it might be 14) pool are?

#46 Edited by WobblyBob (10 posts) -
@leebmx: Natural is the easy to defend expansion spot next to your tarting location. 9pool refers to a Zerg player building their spawning pool (to build zergling/entire military) when their army takes up 9 supply.
#47 Edited by TheVelourFog (8 posts) -

Calling the standard definition stream a "stream" is a joke. It's a sideshow.

#48 Posted by spazmaster666 (1972 posts) -

Looks like my weekend is over . . . <_<

#49 Posted by jakob187 (21689 posts) -

I should point out that H4rris, the creator of the free Giant Bomb Android app, is at MLG Dallas today for Starcraft 2!!!

#50 Posted by leebmx (2247 posts) -
@WobblyBob: Like someone else has said on this thread...I think without playing the game its maybe a non-starter to try and work out what is going on here. It is still pretty cool to watch but I figure you need a deeper understanding of the game than you could possibly get from just viewing. - wish I had a strong enough PC to give it a go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.