Why do people hate MLG so much?

• 77 results
#1 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

I find MLG to be a rather entertaining thing to watch on boring saturday nights. It's just some of the worlds best gamers duking it out for your entertainment, and yet I always hear people bashing them. Now I understand that there are a ton of MLG wannabe posers that give it a bad image, but there are also a ton of NFL wannabe posers and no one bashes that, so why all the hate?

What is wrong with MLG and how could it be improved?

#2 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

I don't have anything against the MLG, I just hate it when people online think they're so much cooler and better than everyone else just because they bought the little gamerpic of the MLG. Thus making them the greatest people who graced a controller in the history of ever in their minds.

Hate it.

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

The biggest problem I've ever noticed with MLG is that nothing is ever good enough for most of those guys.  I understand the need to have prime equipment, just like an athlete would need a good trainer to help them build their skills and keep them competing well.  At the same time, most MLG doods are just plain fucking rude about it.  The gaming center I work at has MLG guys come in once in a while, and every time they come in, they complain about "oh, can we get the Xbox 360 stations moved closer to the TVs, because that 60 ft. HDMI cable is going to cause a lot of lag".  Really?  Funny, I never noticed a problem.  Maybe I don't have games shoved up my ass like they do or something, but seriously, it's just retarded.  I mean, if you don't like the setup, DON'T FUCKING PLAY ON IT!

Sorry...had to pull a Foamy moment there.
#4 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"The biggest problem I've ever noticed with MLG is that nothing is ever good enough for most of those guys.  I understand the need to have prime equipment, just like an athlete would need a good trainer to help them build their skills and keep them competing well.  At the same time, most MLG doods are just plain fucking rude about it.  The gaming center I work at has MLG guys come in once in a while, and every time they come in, they complain about "oh, can we get the Xbox 360 stations moved closer to the TVs, because that 60 ft. HDMI cable is going to cause a lot of lag".  Really?  Funny, I never noticed a problem.  Maybe I don't have games shoved up my ass like they do or something, but seriously, it's just retarded.  I mean, if you don't like the setup, DON'T FUCKING PLAY ON IT!
Sorry...had to pull a Foamy moment there.
"

...yeah i hate that...
#5 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

So the organization as a whole is OK, but the portion of the gaming public who pretend that they are MLG and therefore should be worshipped is bad.

#6 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -
Gorillawhat said:
"So the organization as a whole is OK, but the portion of the gaming public who pretend that they are MLG and therefore should be worshipped is bad."
Yeah, like I said, I have nothing against MLG. Infact it's a great idea, getting a bunch of gamers to play a game, just plain fun.

It's when those guys take it way too far and think they are the 'elites' and the face of gaming.
#7 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

Don't know.  I've only been involved with TWL.

#8 Posted by BetaMax (131 posts) -

How come I can't add "Sucking Weiners" as a game for MLG?

#9 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

In terms of MLG itself, I don't like it as a competition as a whole. It's not just MLG, or even all about MLG, I just tend to have gaming leagues in general. They outlaw tactics, weapons, upgrades, and other gameplay elements, whitewash the level selection, and essentially turn the game into a ridiculously sterile version of what it once was. I'd be fine with a league that accepted reasonably balanced games and then just let players fly; but they are way too restrictive, and I refuse to support them because of that.

#10 Posted by RobNBanks (14 posts) -
Jayge said:
"In terms of MLG itself, I don't like it as a competition as a whole. It's not just MLG, or even all about MLG, I just tend to have gaming leagues in general. They outlaw tactics, weapons, upgrades, and other gameplay elements, whitewash the level selection, and essentially turn the game into a ridiculously sterile version of what it once was. I'd be fine with a league that accepted reasonably balanced games and then just let players fly; but they are way too restrictive, and I refuse to support them because of that."
It makes it more skill based. You might not agree or like it but it does.

Halo 3 on ESPN Saturday Night or Championship Sunday would be boring as fuck if there was power drains and all the other equipment that aid you in kills. With MLG it's just you and your teammates. I don't know about other competitive leagues, but there is a reason why they do this whether you agree with it or not. I can play with both competitive rules or default rules so it doesn't matter to me. If you've played with MLG rules you know their is more dependance on your team than in regular matchmaking and I would imagine other competitive leagues are the same. I've won countless games in regular Halo 3 MM by myself. I have had all my teammates quit on me leaving me at a huge disadvantage. I'll just go grab a shotty/gravity hammer  with a bubble shield and camp somewhere. It's beneficial because while they walk around, if they are close they show up on my radar but I won't show up on theirs.

Only people that hate MLG are just nerds who only play single player games and think they're better than people who play multiplayer games. They're just as ignorant as people who think their race is better than someone else's race.
#11 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
Jayge said:
"In terms of MLG itself, I don't like it as a competition as a whole. It's not just MLG, or even all about MLG, I just tend to have gaming leagues in general. They outlaw tactics, weapons, upgrades, and other gameplay elements, whitewash the level selection, and essentially turn the game into a ridiculously sterile version of what it once was. I'd be fine with a league that accepted reasonably balanced games and then just let players fly; but they are way too restrictive, and I refuse to support them because of that."
I agreed 100% with you man, these are the exact reason i hate the MLG.
#12 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

Have you ever played with a member of MLG? It isn't fun because they know the levels of Halo 3, for example, like the back of their hands. They break games by being too good. That's why I hate them.

#13 Edited by Cogito (174 posts) -

Your both preaching to the choir, my reasons exactly.
Gorillawhat said:

"So the organization as a whole is OK, but the portion of the gaming public who pretend that they are MLG and therefore should be worshipped is bad."
Pibo47 said:
"Jayge said:
I agreed 100% with you man, these are the exact reason i hate the MLG."
#14 Edited by hungrynun (444 posts) -

I've gone through the tourney scene and I don't declare myself as a professional (read: good). I go through it for the love of competition. I personally know the people that are in the mindset of "play games good make money off sponsors" and I can tell you all of them who are into this have lost the concept of competition. This is where you get those arrogant, loud people that most people associate MLG with.

Some people who are into the tournament scene aren't as loud as arrogant.

#15 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
RobNBanks said:
"Jayge said:
It makes it more skill based. You might not agree or like it but it does.

Halo 3 on ESPN Saturday Night or Championship Sunday would be boring as fuck if there was power drains and all the other equipment that aid you in kills. With MLG it's just you and your teammates. I don't know about other competitive leagues, but there is a reason why they do this whether you agree with it or not. I can play with both competitive rules or default rules so it doesn't matter to me. If you've played with MLG rules you know their is more dependance on your team than in regular matchmaking and I would imagine other competitive leagues are the same. I've won countless games in regular Halo 3 MM by myself. I have had all my teammates quit on me leaving me at a huge disadvantage. I'll just go grab a shotty/gravity hammer  with a bubble shield and camp somewhere. It's beneficial because while they walk around, if they are close they show up on my radar but I won't show up on theirs.

Only people that hate MLG are just nerds who only play single player games and think they're better than people who play multiplayer games. They're just as ignorant as people who think their race is better than someone else's race.
"
Yes. People who hate MLG are racist single-player playing nerds. That *DEFINITELY* makes a shitload of sense.

And as for making it boring as fuck with add-ons like Bubble Shields, mines and power drains- I think you have a very different idea of what "boring" is than most people; because the general public tends to enjoy flashing lights, unexpected plays and crazy, out-of-nowhere antics more than people shooting at each other with Battle Rifles. It doesn't make the game any more "skill" based. It makes the game more tactics-based, and the restrictions limit the tactics to the point where it's not even skill any more, it's just memorization. Tons of people have the coordination to be MLG players, but they don't invest the time or the energy in becoming competitive in one game and sticking to ridiculous compettiiveness with one game like that. MLG "hardcore" gamers are the polar opposite of most "hardcore" gamers in that they pick one thing and stick with it, whereas most super-interested gamers buy many products and play all of them for the experiences, stories, and varying gameplay. It turns gaming into more of a sport than a game; a distinction which has a very fine line that is often blurred.
#16 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

I never liked the halo mlg stuff cause I used to see some halo 2 stuff on demand and most of the guys seemed like dicks. But they were still fun to watch. I really did like the super smash bros mlg stuff too, I just think that when these people start to think they are "cool" it becomes more and more hated

#17 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -
Jayge said:
The reason for restricting specific weapons and upgrades is to reduce randomness, and to prevent a few chance occurrences for one team over the other from deciding the outcome of a tournament game (very important when there are large cash prizes on the line).

As for using a game that's balanced right out of the box for competitive play, the only one that comes to mind is Shadowrun. And, despite being an exceptional game (seriously, anyone who owns a 360 and hasn't played it yet has no excuse, since it's only $15 at Gamestop now), it didn't last more than a season on the MLG circuit because the player population wasn't large enough to support it. Halo 3 has an enormous population and is the flagship game for MLG, and is the driving force behind all of their profits; but, the game isn't balanced under default settings -- far from it, actually. It may seem distasteful to you for them to modify the settings of the game so drastically, but if they didn't, you would see results comparable to the World Series of Poker (plenty of familiar faces finishing well at each tournament, but completely different people winning each time).
#18 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Fosssil said:
"The reason for restricting specific weapons and upgrades is to reduce randomness, and to prevent a few chance occurrences for one team over the other from deciding the outcome of a tournament game (very important when there are large cash prizes on the line).

As for using a game that's balanced right out of the box for competitive play, the only one that comes to mind is Shadowrun. And, despite being an exceptional game (seriously, anyone who owns a 360 and hasn't played it yet has no excuse, since it's only $15 at Gamestop now), it didn't last more than a season on the MLG circuit because the player population wasn't large enough to support it. Halo 3 has an enormous population and is the flagship game for MLG, and is the driving force behind all of their profits; but, the game isn't balanced under default settings -- far from it, actually. It may seem distasteful to you for them to modify the settings of the game so drastically, but if they didn't, you would see results comparable to the World Series of Poker (plenty of familiar faces finishing well at each tournament, but completely different people winning each time)."
Like I said. It white-washes tactics and doesn't allow much for originality. It doesn't become about skill anymore, about how good the player is at coping, about how flexible the team is at dealing with spontaneity. It's just about who can flank and shoot someone in the head faster. It's much less of a competition because of that.
#19 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I mainly just hate it because of the posers, as you have stated. As far as MLG itself, I found it incredibly boring to watch. Adding commentary to a game is the cheesiest shit I've ever listened to.

#20 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"I mainly just hate it because of the posers, as you have stated.
Man, You guys would hate Counter Strike
#21 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Absurd said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"I mainly just hate it because of the posers, as you have stated.
Man, You guys would hate Counter Strike"
We've discussed Counter Strike a lot before, eh old buddy? XD
#22 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

They should just can it because it isn't a sport.

#23 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
systech said:
"They should just can it because it isn't a sport."
Exactly, but they treat it like a sport with the shitty commentary. They went in the wrong direction with the whole idea, and I would have enjoyed something resembling "Arena." Arena being the show on G4 a couple years ago, where Kevin P. was just a co-host. Fun, relaxed, everything it should be.
#24 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -
Jayge said:
Like I said. It white-washes tactics and doesn't allow much for originality. It doesn't become about skill anymore, about how good the player is at coping, about how flexible the team is at dealing with spontaneity. It's just about who can flank and shoot someone in the head faster. It's much less of a competition because of that."
That's really oversimplifying things -- we're talking about Halo, not Call of Duty 4.

Sure, flanking and headshots are important, but that certainly isn't where the tactics end. Controlling enemy spawn points and setting up traps through positioning and movement, timing the respawns of several different weapons and power-ups, actively communicating with three other teammates so as to act cohesively as one unit, and being able to effectively control objective items better than the opposition, all the while "flanking" and "shooting the enemy in the head" requires plenty of skill.

It doesn't white-wash tactics and originality, it prevents the game from boiling down to a rock-paper-scissors match that hinges primarily on luck and the random elements of the game engine to determine the outcome.
#25 Posted by whackmypinata (941 posts) -
Fosssil said:
"Jayge said:
Like I said. It white-washes tactics and doesn't allow much for originality. It doesn't become about skill anymore, about how good the player is at coping, about how flexible the team is at dealing with spontaneity. It's just about who can flank and shoot someone in the head faster. It's much less of a competition because of that."
That's really oversimplifying things -- we're talking about Halo, not Call of Duty 4.

Sure, flanking and headshots are important, but that certainly isn't where the tactics end. Controlling enemy spawn points and setting up traps through positioning and movement, timing the respawns of several different weapons and power-ups, actively communicating with three other teammates so as to act cohesively as one unit, and being able to effectively control objective items better than the opposition, all the while "flanking" and "shooting the enemy in the head" requires plenty of skill.

It doesn't white-wash tactics and originality, it prevents the game from boiling down to a rock-paper-scissors match that hinges primarily on luck and the random elements of the game engine to determine the outcome."
Very well said.
#26 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I don't like competitive gaming because...as mentioned, posers, arrogant people.

One gaming server I went to, everyone there acted as though they were all very skilled and high profile players, I just didn't like their pretentious attitude, and it's this sort of thing that makes me hate competitive gaming. Also, I hate when players take it too far - it's no longer a fun hobby, but it becomes a job, a tedious job.

What ticks me off most, as I said, is when people take the game too seriously.

#27 Posted by DavidLeeRoth (137 posts) -

I have mixed feelings on MLG. I enjoy the high level stuff because it reminds of old TsN (Team Sportscast Network) CPL coverage, but with a high production value. The way they highlight their players, showing off their skills as well as their personality keeps my interest. Plus, I actually enjoy the commentary as long as it has a purpose, which many times in Halo 3 it doesn't. However, I have no interest in the low level GameBattles stuff. At one point I was interested in joining one of the ladders, but after reading their forums I was very turned off.

#28 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Because they think they belong in the Olympics...

#29 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -

I have nothing against MLG.

#30 Posted by Player1 (3871 posts) -

I love MLG. I think its great for gaming. 

Though I do HATE when people who suck at games make GT's like xXMLGxX KillA
#31 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

It's boring as hell, that's why.

#32 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

I have nothing against the oranization itself, but for the posers and some arrogant that say they're apart of it pisses me off.  Just because they think they have some cool hardcore name with a bunch of x's, "l337" speak, and a MLG gamer pic the majority automatcally think they're better than everyone.   

Most of my personal experiences with them "Are saying "Shut up you random!" and people pretending they played in a tournament when they actually haven't.

#33 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -
Player1 said:
"I love MLG. I think its great for gaming. 

Though I do HATE when people who suck at games make GT's like xXMLGxX KillA
"
Lol yeah. I was at my freinds house playing halo 3 and he saw some retard kid with mlg in his name and was like wow this guys in mlg? this guy must be good....
I dont watch stuff with much commentary, I prefer to watch the crazier stuff they have like their smash bros Melee and pokemon Puzzle League shit.
#34 Posted by PartTimeNinja (344 posts) -

I hate the MLG because I just don't think that's what gaming is all about. It should be all about fun... not being absolutely pro at Halo 3 and thinking you're the shit because of it.

#35 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -
PartTimeNinja said:
"I hate the MLG because I just don't think that's what gaming is all about. It should be all about fun... not being absolutely pro at Halo 3 and thinking you're the shit because of it."
Thats true but there is so much more stuff besides the Halo 3 fags.
#36 Posted by N3vsta (58 posts) -

most people who put MLG in their gamertag give it a bad name

#37 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

i really more so hate the unpleasable mlg wannabe's.

but to the actual gameplay, why I dislike playing in the mlg playlist, is because in sake of competitiveness, they essentially eliminate tons of good maps and weapons.

#38 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

i A) hate MLg wannabees on halo that run blindly into the sword house on the pit with a br erxpecting to 4xhot them then die again and again, call you a noob, blaming it on lag, the br spread then the next day it'f off to bungie.net and whine about how the game is broken

B) the MLG playlist. you should not start off with the best weapon in the game - ruins map control. there's no variety to it. wtf jappened to vehicles? can't get 4 shotted? out they go too. it really is the nub playlist

however i DO like watching the tournaments it's actually rather exciting

#39 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

People who make a living off of playing games contribute nothing to society. That would be like someone getting paid to listen to music in front of you.

#40 Posted by Warfare (1635 posts) -

I am indifferent.

#41 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"People who make a living off of playing games contribute nothing to society. That would be like someone getting paid to listen to music in front of you."
I find it similar to playing a sport for a living.(obviously not exactly similar, but they do what they do best and get paid for it) Why should someone who plays baseball not get the same treatment then?
#42 Edited by xruntime (1920 posts) -
MasturbatingBear said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"People who make a living off of playing games contribute nothing to society. That would be like someone getting paid to listen to music in front of you."
I find it similar to playing a sport for a living.(obviously not exactly similar, but they do what they do best and get paid for it) Why should someone who plays baseball not get the same treatment then?"
Baseball players are overpaid. Baseball isn't even that much of an athletic sport. I think all athletes are overpaid, and those who really should be paid a lot aren't.
#43 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

Saying MLG players are overplayed is like stupid, there are only a few teams that even have well paying sponsors, and compared to real athletes they make jack shit. I have to bump this thread. Anyway, if you're a Halo fan, watching MLG pros play can be quite impressive, I understand that the Giantbomb community is pretty void in terms of diehard Halo fans, but you should understand.

And for people who don't think gaming should ever be a sport, then stop playing video games, because saying that is like playing backyard baseball and hating on the MLB.
#44 Posted by Drebin_893 (2918 posts) -

I don't like the fact that there are tournaments for games full stop.

Also, dumb bump.

#45 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -
Drebin_893 said:
"I don't like the fact that there are tournaments for games full stop.Also, dumb bump."
Also, dump post.
I was thinking about MLG with Meadowlands coming up and wanted to bring up this topic again. 
#46 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

I think it's the "wannabe pros" that infest xbox live that sour peoples view of MLG because well.... they're complete and utter cunts

I personally think the halo 3 tournaments are fun to watch

#47 Posted by FlipperDesert (2090 posts) -
Gorillawhat said:
"And for people who don't think gaming should ever be a sport, then stop playing video games, because saying that is like playing backyard baseball and hating on the MLB."
Are you kidding me? Video games aren't a sport, they're an interactive medium. Sure, that medium can be played competitively like with MLG, but you know what? That's missing the point. When you start to treat playing games like a competitive sport it does nothing to shift the stereotype that all gamers are obese, hyper-serious nerds that scream at other players while chuggin' a dew when they lose. Games are for fun, and that's why I don't like the MLG.
#48 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
Fosssil said:
The reason for restricting specific weapons and upgrades is to reduce randomness, and to prevent a few chance occurrences for one team over the other from deciding the outcome of a tournament game (very important when there are large cash prizes on the line).As for using a game that's balanced right out of the box for competitive play, the only one that comes to mind is Shadowrun. And, despite being an exceptional game (seriously, anyone who owns a 360 and hasn't played it yet has no excuse, since it's only $15 at Gamestop now), it didn't last more than a season on the MLG circuit because the player population wasn't large enough to support it. Halo 3 has an enormous population and is the flagship game for MLG, and is the driving force behind all of their profits; but, the game isn't balanced under default settings -- far from it, actually. It may seem distasteful to you for them to modify the settings of the game so drastically, but if they didn't, you would see results comparable to the World Series of Poker (plenty of familiar faces finishing well at each tournament, but completely different people winning each time)."
Actually it's because when played so competitively a tiny imbalance soon becomes a massive exploitable. MLG have BR starts and carbines around the map not to increase skill (if they wanted to do that they would have made it magnums considering it is more challenging to aim with than both) but so that controlling the map is not such a gigantic advantage and allows for faster pace which in turn results in more viewers which in turn results in more $$$. And that is all.
#49 Posted by Drebin_893 (2918 posts) -
Gorillawhat said:
"Drebin_893 said:
"I don't like the fact that there are tournaments for games full stop.Also, dumb bump."
Also, dump post.
I was thinking about MLG with Meadowlands coming up and wanted to bring up this topic again. 
"

Sorry, why's it a dumb post?
#50 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

If it's for a game that's action-packed, and fun to watch (like TF2), I'm good with it. If not, it's just obnoxious and pointless.

It gives gaming a bad rap, and 15-year-old delinquents false hope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.