Is there a villain that's hard for you to hate?

• 77 results
#1 Edited by Chocobodude3 (643 posts) -

Like Vass and Glados for me who are likable in some weird way due to their personality

#2 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1925 posts) -

Their are a lot villains that are hard to hate. They're are always ones that come to mind specifically because of there likable traits.

Yes, I am an asshole.

#3 Edited by Quarters (1852 posts) -

Solidus Snake. Though he had big problems, he had some noble intentions.

#4 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

Dagoth Ur from Morrowind and Saren Arterius from Mass Effect

#5 Posted by UlquioKani (1179 posts) -

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread title was Vaas.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Shadowlord from Nier?

Also if he counts, the villain in Witcher 2 whom I honestly cannot name right now (the other witcher).

#7 Edited by BeachThunder (12390 posts) -

Whose?

#8 Edited by Kaiserreich (740 posts) -

@animasta: Letho? Yeah I think everyone let him walk away at the end of the game.

#9 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

EDIT: The guy above me is spoiling WITCHER 2, since he forgot to add a warning.

----

@kaiserreich: Please edit your post and put it inside a spoiler block, you just spoiled the end

#10 Edited by probablytuna (3822 posts) -

@kaiserreich: I didn't. I felt it was necessary to have a final battle, and not because it's a video game and video games need a end boss fight (which ironically I'm kinda opposed to have just for the sake of it).

#11 Edited by MikeJFlick (444 posts) -

Villains that are only villains because of their nationalities.

#12 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -

Magneto.

#13 Edited by ShaggE (6690 posts) -

Most villains. I grew up with slasher films, so it's in my nature to root for the bad guy. :P

#14 Edited by mwng (952 posts) -

#15 Edited by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

I can't name any off the top of my head because I'm bad at names, but I recall over the years not wanting to defeat several bad guys because I agreed with their point of view and agreed that what they were doing was correct and that the good guy was being a tool or selfish. Or I agreed with the bad guy in principle, but just not the way he was going about trying to achieve his goal and really wanted an option to try and explain the better way to go about his goal and to turn him to my way of thinking.

#16 Posted by Herk (198 posts) -

Vaas was a good example, his coolness outweighed the evil. I also read the Dragon Age novels before Origins and that made me feel sorry for Loghain...

#17 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

The best villains are the ones that enjoy being villainous as all hell. The ones who know just how much of an awful asshole they are and who take complete pleasure in that fact. See every Kevin Spacey role.

#18 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I could never hate GLaDOS or Wheatley.

#19 Edited by Village_Guy (2660 posts) -

Vaas was fun, I feel bad for him, for getting the treatment he ended up getting. He should have been full on villain all the time in that game.

I like Makarov from the Modern Warfare games too, he deserved more screen time too.

Thinking about it, I can't really mention any villain I really "hate", they are generally all somewhat like-able or fun in their silly evilness.

#20 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

The best villains are the ones that enjoy being villainous as all hell. The ones who know just how much of an awful asshole they are and who take complete pleasure in that fact. See every Kevin Spacey role.

A good video game version of that might be... tenpenny?

#21 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@animasta said:

@mikkaq said:

A good video game version of that might be... tenpenny?

He is real shameless asshole isn't he? Revolver Ocelot's another good one I think.

#22 Edited by CaLe (4049 posts) -

Obviously Sephiroth. Have you seen his hair?

#23 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@mwng said:

"MUTTLEEEEEEEY!"

Kefka in Final Fantasy VI is supremely evil, but his personality makes him entertaining despite the fact that he's an omnicidal psychopath.

#24 Edited by Butano (1786 posts) -
#25 Posted by MentalDisruption (1669 posts) -

Kessler from infamous or Kuja from FFIX.

#26 Edited by mercutio123 (473 posts) -

Agent Smith. He's always a laugh

#27 Posted by StarvingGamer (8544 posts) -

Most of them. It's far easier to write a sympathetic villain than an utterly repugnant one.

#28 Posted by ESREVER (2697 posts) -

Vergil from DMC, Vaas from farcry3, Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles.

Ladd Russo from Baccano.

#29 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

Dr. Nefarious.

#30 Edited by Wheady (101 posts) -

@animasta said:

Shadowlord from Nier?

Yes, absolutely. Not only him but a lot of other enemies in that game once you start playing through some of the extra endings.

Also, Bowser. He just wants some lovin.

#31 Posted by Nightriff (5322 posts) -

Hans Landa is that for me, such an evil dude but you can't help but like him

#32 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

Dagoth Ur from Morrowind and Saren Arterius from Mass Effect

took both of my answers in one go....

so...

I gotta go with the Illusive Man from ME. While I didn't agree with his tactics, his reasons for doing the things he does are understandable.

#33 Posted by Quarters (1852 posts) -

@esrever said:

Vergil from DMC,

Mm, that's a good one too. Both incarnations of him.

#34 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2293 posts) -

Bowser and King K Rool, Bowser is a love struck dinosaur always wanting to steal away Peach and King K Rool is a banana addict that wanted Donkey Kong's banana horde to himself.

#35 Posted by FourWude (2245 posts) -

Comstock. Dude just wants a world where his family and fellow like minded whiteys can live in peace, away from colored people.

Isn't that what every middle class gated community strives for?

#36 Edited by Jeust (10852 posts) -

I can't hate:

• the reapers, nor the virtual boy from Mass Effect (it's nothing personal, just survival)
  • the king brother from Fable 3
  • the Shadowlord from Nier
  • Darth Malak from KOTOR
  • Darth Kreia from KOTOR 2
  • Sin from Final Fantasy X
  • the origami killer from Heavy Rain

I generaly only hate one dimensional villains, as I can generaly sympathize with their actions.

#37 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

I can't hate Andrew Ryan. Everything between all of his discourses scattered throughout Rapture reflecting how passionate his was about his ideals and his final moments in BioShock makes him my personal favorite villainous character; I definitely can't hate him! In spite of what was becoming of Rapture, he still followed through with his ideals even as they went upside-down and reached some obviously dystopic-levels. He was even driven to go down with it after he realized he wasn't going to successfully defend his control over his brainchild against Fontaine/Atlas and his own son (hence initiating the self-destruct). His final monologue culminating with him revealing everything about his son before finally commanding him to go through with killing him definitely left an impression on me, too.

#38 Posted by Hunter5024 (5956 posts) -

Seifer Almasy from FF8, Kessler from Infamous, neither of them are such bad guys.

#39 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

I always sympathize with the villain more than the protagonist. I want the villain to win. :)

#40 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12101 posts) -

Bowser whenever he appears in a Mario RPG, especially in The Thousand Year Door where he is utterly bewildered the entire time and only encounters Mario by accident.

Also, I'll echo Vaas simply because he isn't Jason Brody, one of the more unintentionally repugnant protagonists in recent memory. It also helps that he's crazy but also credibly threatening. Ugh. I feel like there are essays that could be written on how FC3 squanders its narrative.

#41 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

I find the best villians are ones that you can understand their motivations and enjoy their character, whether you like them or not. Hating a bad guy works because when they are defeated it adds more thrill but having a likeable bad guy is equally as entertaining.

I feel I love Avengers mainly because of Loki being one of the best likeable villians I've seen in a long time. Also I feel the only reason Avatar worked because that commando guy was such a great asshole antagonist, because all the protagonists in that movie sucked ass(other than Sigourney Weaver who is great in everything).

#42 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Kefka. Mad as a hatter. Successful in his pursuit to sunder the world, and to become akin to a god. The best of villainous men that were.

And then there's also... Kefka's Theme!

#43 Edited by Redbullet685 (6082 posts) -

Negan, the current villain in the Walking Dead comics. He's such a "bro" asshole kinda guy. I love him.

Oh, and he brutally killed my favorite character in the series. I still think he is a great character.

#44 Posted by BisonHero (7013 posts) -

Aku from Samurai Jack. What a champ.

So sad that his voice actor passed away.

#45 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Aku from Samurai Jack. What a champ.

So sad that his voice actor passed away.

That was mako right?

#46 Posted by MocBucket62 (1270 posts) -

Mark Hamill's joker may be one villain I can't hate. Also, I'd probably say Captain Qwark when he was a villain in the first Ratchet and Clank games.

#47 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1480 posts) -

Keith Anyan (towards the terra (anime)) is the best un-hateable villain.

#48 Posted by Toxin066 (3326 posts) -

I actually find myself rooting for Boyd Crowder (Justified).

#49 Edited by D_Bones (372 posts) -

@herk: So....how were the Dragon Age books? They have been sitting in my wish list for awhile now but I am unsure about whether to pull the trigger or not, worrying about the general quality. I want me some more story and The Stolen Throne looked decent. Insight? Thanks

#50 Edited by BisonHero (7013 posts) -

That's correct, Animasta (on mobile site, can't reply).

Mako was great, and also voiced one of the best characters in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.