Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mana

Concept »

A meter measured much like HP that depletes when you use magic, and depending on the game, regenerates over time or can only be regenerated through rest or potions. Mana is usually displayed as a blue bar beneath it's red counterpart, the HP bar.

First game to feature a mana pool?

catterick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By catterick

Just been having this discussion on Skype with some friends, what was the first video game to feature a mana pool?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

That's actually a good question, most early RPGs co-opted D&D;'s spell system of charges instead of a mana pool.

catterick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By catterick

The first that springs to my mind is Diablo, but surely there was one before that?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Shivoa

Not sure about first game to include it (magic cost in points, recharge mechanism; older than Diablo) but the idea and design is pre-games so if you want an origin point then it's Larry Niven (AFAIK, a quick wikipedia search seemed to confirm the tale I'd heard for where the idea came from).

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Shivoa

A quick dive into the half-remembered past ("haven't all video games used mana?" Oh, I guess I'm just adding that to my old memories, I guess some games without the D&D license used spell/day) and I'm thinking it could be 1985. It could easily be before then (going back into the 'games I haven't played and was quite possibly not alive for their release' section of retro) but The Bard's Tale had a recharging, pointed mana system for magic characters to spend on spells (from vague memory combined with screenshots to confirm, but I haven't played it in so long that maybe I'm getting that wrong) and was before Dungeon Master (a couple of years later - and that definitely has spending mana points on magic spells as you inscribed their runes. Was it cost as number of runes so longer spells cost more of am I getting that wrong?)

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

The first Final Fantasy in 1987 had magic points, I think.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By topsteer

@McGhee said:

The first Final Fantasy in 1987 had magic points, I think.

No, it used a system where you could only have nine spells of each level. Some of the remakes have changed this to a standard mp system.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By linkster7

Doesn't Ultima 3 have a magic pool? That's 83'

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By envane

didnt zeldas magic system have a "mana pool" of sorts

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

I remember Dragon Warrior using magic points or MP (released in 1986 in japan)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.