Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Manhunt

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 18, 2003

Busted out of death row, inmate James Earl Cash wakes up to find himself in a snuff film directed by a man who calls himself Starkweather.

No.0019 Manhunt

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By hsvlad
    1001 Videogames I must play before I die! 

No.0019 Manhunt 

No Caption Provided

Manhunt came out when I was about 15 and I was itching to play it.  Obviously as you can see from the big, red 18 sticker on the box art above, buying it wasn't going to be easy. To make things even more difficult I had to wait until the pc version of the game came out and just as it did there was a fairly major  incident in the UK involving the game. I wont go into details as its doesn't really relate to what I'm going to talk about but the game became very difficult to get hold of. Eventually I found a copy at an HMV and managed to buy it after convincing the  manager that, while I didn't have any ID with me, I did have a checkbook in my name which you can only get once you're 18. That was of course bullshit and it made getting hold of a copy of Manhunt feel dirty and like something I would get in trouble for, which felt GREAT!!!   

No Caption Provided
    Manhunt is a game that I'm surprised we haven't seen more of. It is essentially a horror stealth game. The player is very vulnerable and taking on more then one enemy at a time is basically suicide. Instead, you lure enemies away or wait for them to become isolated and then murder then in violent ways with various, often improvised, weapons. The game, however, doesn't make the player feel like he is a badass, choosing who lives and dies like say Metal Gear Solid might. You always feel like you are in danger. Your opponents know you are there somewhere and all they want to do is kill you. It's hard to tell if the fantastic feeling of danger in Manhunt comes from the gameplay or the atmosphere. The actual sneaking isn't anything new. You walk up behind a guy and do something horrible to him. Sometimes you wait in the shadows or throw a brick or bottle to attract them, its all quite standard fare.  There is also some gunplay later in the game that isn't the games strong point and sadly becomes more and more prevalent as things go on. It's not bad as such, but its does break the tension a little too much. 

No Caption Provided

The visuals are presented in a quite clever way. There is always a heavy film grain and when you sneak up behind someone to perform one of the gruesome takedowns the video camera style is amplified even further. Scan lines, hand held camera shake and battery and time-stamp information show up to really make it feel like someone is videoing you stab this guy in the windpipe with a crowbar. Speaking of the violence, its really something quite special. Its worth mentioning that the game isn't actually very gory, all things considered. Ok, if you shoot someone in the face with a shotgun it gets rather messy but the most disturbing thing about the violence in Manhunt is the aggression. When you execute someone from behind there are three different animations that change depending on how long you managed to stay within attack range of your target without him noticing. The longer you're there the more aggressive your attack will be, and they get fairly gross. But like I said, it isn't the gore that makes them shocking, it is the aggression that seems to emanate from your character as he finds the most gruesome way to kill someone with a plastic bag. 

Manhunt is still a half decent stealth game and it has an atmosphere like nothing else I've ever really played. Condemned comes close but you are still the good guy and the supernatural elements keep it from dragging you into its world in the same way Manhunt does. I've never played the second one, after hearing poor opinions of it and it being censored in the same awful way The Punisher was, but having recently played through Kane & Lynch 2 I really started to think a sequel in that visual style would be great. So if you're into particularly nasty horror films and stealth, and you like a challenge, I would certainly say you should give Manhunt a look. Just don't let anyone who isn't into games find you playing it. Explaining Manhunt's artistic merits and contributions is a pretty tough sell. 

P.S. Some of people have asked me to format these posts without the large central images but the blog system on GB is being very uncooperative. Small images are too small and medium images are the same size as small but are cropped to that size. Maybe it is an issue to do with using the site on Chrome but I can't tell. I'll use Firefox for the next post and see if it is any easier. 
    hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By hsvlad
    1001 Videogames I must play before I die! 

No.0019 Manhunt 

No Caption Provided

Manhunt came out when I was about 15 and I was itching to play it.  Obviously as you can see from the big, red 18 sticker on the box art above, buying it wasn't going to be easy. To make things even more difficult I had to wait until the pc version of the game came out and just as it did there was a fairly major  incident in the UK involving the game. I wont go into details as its doesn't really relate to what I'm going to talk about but the game became very difficult to get hold of. Eventually I found a copy at an HMV and managed to buy it after convincing the  manager that, while I didn't have any ID with me, I did have a checkbook in my name which you can only get once you're 18. That was of course bullshit and it made getting hold of a copy of Manhunt feel dirty and like something I would get in trouble for, which felt GREAT!!!   

No Caption Provided
    Manhunt is a game that I'm surprised we haven't seen more of. It is essentially a horror stealth game. The player is very vulnerable and taking on more then one enemy at a time is basically suicide. Instead, you lure enemies away or wait for them to become isolated and then murder then in violent ways with various, often improvised, weapons. The game, however, doesn't make the player feel like he is a badass, choosing who lives and dies like say Metal Gear Solid might. You always feel like you are in danger. Your opponents know you are there somewhere and all they want to do is kill you. It's hard to tell if the fantastic feeling of danger in Manhunt comes from the gameplay or the atmosphere. The actual sneaking isn't anything new. You walk up behind a guy and do something horrible to him. Sometimes you wait in the shadows or throw a brick or bottle to attract them, its all quite standard fare.  There is also some gunplay later in the game that isn't the games strong point and sadly becomes more and more prevalent as things go on. It's not bad as such, but its does break the tension a little too much. 

No Caption Provided

The visuals are presented in a quite clever way. There is always a heavy film grain and when you sneak up behind someone to perform one of the gruesome takedowns the video camera style is amplified even further. Scan lines, hand held camera shake and battery and time-stamp information show up to really make it feel like someone is videoing you stab this guy in the windpipe with a crowbar. Speaking of the violence, its really something quite special. Its worth mentioning that the game isn't actually very gory, all things considered. Ok, if you shoot someone in the face with a shotgun it gets rather messy but the most disturbing thing about the violence in Manhunt is the aggression. When you execute someone from behind there are three different animations that change depending on how long you managed to stay within attack range of your target without him noticing. The longer you're there the more aggressive your attack will be, and they get fairly gross. But like I said, it isn't the gore that makes them shocking, it is the aggression that seems to emanate from your character as he finds the most gruesome way to kill someone with a plastic bag. 

Manhunt is still a half decent stealth game and it has an atmosphere like nothing else I've ever really played. Condemned comes close but you are still the good guy and the supernatural elements keep it from dragging you into its world in the same way Manhunt does. I've never played the second one, after hearing poor opinions of it and it being censored in the same awful way The Punisher was, but having recently played through Kane & Lynch 2 I really started to think a sequel in that visual style would be great. So if you're into particularly nasty horror films and stealth, and you like a challenge, I would certainly say you should give Manhunt a look. Just don't let anyone who isn't into games find you playing it. Explaining Manhunt's artistic merits and contributions is a pretty tough sell. 

P.S. Some of people have asked me to format these posts without the large central images but the blog system on GB is being very uncooperative. Small images are too small and medium images are the same size as small but are cropped to that size. Maybe it is an issue to do with using the site on Chrome but I can't tell. I'll use Firefox for the next post and see if it is any easier. 
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Origina1Penguin

How do you sneak up on somebody with a fucking chainsaw?

I have always wanted to try this game though. Good blog post.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By danielkempster

Great to see this series making a come-back! I'd recently found myself wondering how your endeavour was going, and now I know!

I played Manhunt last year, and enjoyed the experience, but both the stealth and shooting segments felt a bit lacking to me. The stealth felt clunky and stilted more often than not, and the gunplay became frustrating due to Cash frequently breaking cover. The fact that the game more or less completely abandoned the former in favour of the latter during its last third also bothered me, because it lost a lot of what made the first two thirds so tense and atmospheric, not to mention caused some really frustrating difficulty spikes during the endgame. Like I said, I did enjoy Manhunt, especially the snuff film-style presentation which is incredible. I just felt like there was a lot of scope for refinement in terms of its gameplay.

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RubberFactory

Manhunt is one of the grimiest games ever and I love it for that.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Grissefar

I still remember the level where you meet Piggsy, that was some scary shit. Really dark, you can always hear the chainsaw but you don't know where he is until it's too late.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MeierTheRed

One of my favorite games still to this day.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By napalm

Manhunt is fucking terrifying.

@Grissefar said:

I still remember the level where you meet Piggsy, that was some scary shit. Really dark, you can always hear the chainsaw but you don't know where he is until it's too late.

That attic is one of the most terrifying locations in all of videogame history.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bybeach

Manhunt passed the legit point for me. I was surprised how grim it was and hyper real.. The only thing I resented was in the Insane Asylum being forced to yellow or red for harder-core kills. On the other hand I discovered one of my fav. characters, least for the time, Drugwhore. I also enjoyed how it was a stealth game in the 1st half, and a shooter in the second. I liked the shooter once you understood the cover mechanic..sort of like being a swinging door, kind of weird. And yeah...piggsy.

I did try to play it a second time, and was put off by the graphics. Attitude on my part maybe, would try again. And I would argue that it is a true game, just rather adult..you know that term. From what I read, they really whored manhunt 2 and lost veracity for for the manhunt name by it...

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hsvlad

@bybeach: I think my favorite was the guy who thought you had stolen his shoes. I've been trying to get hold of his lines for ages, think they would make a good, slightly fucking up, ringtone lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.