Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 25, 1993

A point-and-click adventure game that follows Bernard Bernoulli, Laverne, and Hoagie as they try to prevent Purple Tentacle from taking over the world.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered - This Is Amazing

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

How is there no thread talking about this yet? It's one of the great games ever made and I'm probably more excited about this than Grim Fandango. So can we also expect a Full Throttle remaster announcement soon too?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

One of my favourite games ever, but it's certainly not something that needs 'remastering' - It just needs to be rereleased on Gog and/or Steam, that's all.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have never played Day of the Tentacle so, I'm very much looking forward to this.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I'm looking foreword to this and Grim Fandango. Never played them so now I have a chance. Will buy them day one of release.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By jiggajoe14

Considering I have never played it I am so damn excited to play this. I beat Grim Fandango last year, but really want to give it another whirl as well.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Did Maniac Mansion ever get a reboot? I would love to see that and then play Day of the Tentacle, as someone who has currently played neither of them.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yes, this is great news.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Keirgo

This is indeed amazing news, one of my favorite games growing up, I'm looking forward to this immensely.

Here's hoping they do Curse of Monkey Island next, my all time favorite Lucasarts adventure game.

Quicklyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, me too. Absolutely fell in love with this game as a kid. Haven't played it in so many years I wonder how it will hold up and how they are going to remaster it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've never played the game so it could be cool but it's design must be pretty dated by now judging by what some of the duders have said. I wonder if this new version will tinker with anything more than the visuals.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

I really doubt that this game will be remastered because of a few reasons. I don't know if they have the original source code, I don't think they'll have the budget to redo all that animation, and I don't think they'll actually add anything to it.

Grim Fandango, while old now, is a much more modern game so getting the source code was probably easier, adding in more modern light effects is possible, fixing animations and models is possible, and making it look nicer is possible (I wonder if they did to the FMVs too, that'd be cool but I know that's a much more difficult thing to do).

I wouldn't be surprised if they just make sure the game runs on modern machines and release it. I would be way more surprised if they actually "remastered" like... for real. As that would probably be way more complicated than some people realize.

It'd be cool if they did, though.

While they're at it they could get on releasing all the other Lucas Arts games that aren't on sale digitally. I still have a lot of them, but it'd be nice to be able to buy them digitally. I'd buy all of them again- just saying.

@regularassmilk: Fun fact: Maniac Mansion was in the original Day of the tentacle- the full game is in the game. If they retain that then you will be able to play Maniac Mansion as well.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingspeedy

Can't wait to play it on PC, but I'm especially curious to see how they bring it to consoles. Grim Fandango would seem to transition easily with its movement, but DotT was a straight-up SCUMM game. Short of just using the d-pad as a mouse control like in the Maniac Mansion NES port, I'm not really sure how else they'll pull it off.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question: do you need to play Maniac Mansion to get the most out of Day of the Tentacle or are they unrelated enough that it doesn't matter?

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Quicklyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Quicklyer

@counterclockwork87 yeah there is probably little to be gained from playing Maniac Mansion. As CornBred mentioned the original game is included in Day of the Tentacle so there is always that.

And to answer my own question, someone posted a screenshot of the remaster:

No Caption Provided

Kind of looks like they are using their Broken Age 2D/3D engine for it which kind of excites me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zeik

@kingspeedy said:

Can't wait to play it on PC, but I'm especially curious to see how they bring it to consoles. Grim Fandango would seem to transition easily with its movement, but DotT was a straight-up SCUMM game. Short of just using the d-pad as a mouse control like in the Maniac Mansion NES port, I'm not really sure how else they'll pull it off.

Both remastered Monkey Island games got released on consoles, which worked well enough. I'm curious if they'll try anything different though.

@cornbredx: If it's coming out on Playstation consoles there's no way they could just port it as is.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Oh, don't worry, the remake will be a platformer (see: King's Quest).

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

And to answer my own question, someone posted a screenshot of the remaster:

No Caption Provided

Kind of looks like they are using their Broken Age 2D/3D engine for it which kind of excites me.

Yikes. Everyone has their own taste, so I'm glad if someone digs this, but I hope this is just a fan mock-up. It honestly looks pretty horrible to me.

Besides the hilarious writing, and sometimes clever puzzles, the brilliantly emotive sprite animation was a huge draw of DotT. Replacing that just does a huge disservice to what made the game so great and memorable to this day.

Damn.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeik

@joshwent: There's a good chance it will be like the Monkey Island games and let you toggle between old and new graphics if you really prefer the old ones.

Although that pic does look suspiciously similar to this:

http://bvigec.deviantart.com/art/Day-of-the-Tentacle-HD-Repaint-Full-429178959

Quicklyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quicklyer

@joshwent actually yeah I guess that could be just a fan mockup based on the post I cribbed it from.

In other news if you want a drunk Tim Schafer's retrospective opinion of the original game there is this. Can't think of anyone I'd rather hear from on it. ;-)

Loading Video...

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

As someone that has never played either Grim Fandango or Day of the Tentacle this is good news.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By mosdl

@cornbredx: The Scumm games source code is pretty much open as the ScummVM project has pretty much figured out their format. In fact they could be using ScummVM for the remaster.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@mosdl: That's not a remaster; that'd be an emulation.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By mosdl

@mosdl: That's not a remaster; that'd be an emulation.

The monkey island remasters used emulation as well - that is how they can offer switching between the old and new look.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Great writing and wonderful art but those old adventure games had some completely convuted puzzle design. McGuyverish in their nature, you'd be combining the least likely of objects to get the simplest of tasks accomplished.

The Tentacles were a real treat though.

"...to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This is extremely excellent news!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is coming out on PC and PS4/Vita (Cross-Buy) today! I actually bought the original game last year, naturally a month or two before this got announced. I didn't like it as much as Grim Fandango or Monkey Island, but it still delivered some great puzzles and good laughs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.