Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marc Laidlaw

Person » credited in 3 games

Marc Laidlaw is a writer for Valve Software. He was the sole writer behind Half-Life and Half-Life 2 and the lead for HL2 Episodes.

Marc Laidlaw retired from Valve - no longer (not) working on HL3

Avatar image for eulogize_my_baked_goods
    eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Article on Gamasutra

Various sources are reporting an email exchange between Marc Laidlaw and a HL fan where he publicly announces his retirement from Valve. I'd just like to say that I think this obviously has nothing to do with the ongoing development (or not) of HL3 - Marc himself carefully dodges that question, rightly so - but that it is a shame to see someone so intimately connected with one of my favourite games leave the industry. Still, 18 years is one hell of a tenure so I think the man is more than due a change of scenery. Bon voyage Marc, I wish you all the best in your new life as a guy people DON'T pester for HL3 info!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Maybe he's already written some massive lore book for the entire Half-Life universe and is alright peacing out.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Like I'm ever going to buy a copy of The Orchid Eater.

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Saganomics

@theht said:

Maybe he's already written some massive lore book for the entire Half-Life universe and is alright peacing out.

I think there was an old GFW Radio episode where Shawn Elliott said this was exactly the case.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@theht said:

Yeah, you could make a "Half-Life 3 unconfirmed" joke, but any story for it was probably finalized years ago, and with the type of games they've been making over the last several years, there doesn't seem to be much for a writer to do beyond some worldbuilding and character quips.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Wouldn't it be nuts if he ended up at Kojima Productions?

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I stopped caring about half life years ago

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So where does he go, do you think? Like in terms of "self-directed writing projects," is that just a book? A screenplay? I mean, he was probably involved to some degree with the collaborations with JJ Abrams and Guillermo del Toro. Do you think a screenplay makes sense?

Avatar image for eulogize_my_baked_goods
    eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@indieslaw: After all that time working on AAA projects for Valve he must have contacts all over the place. His comments do lead me to think that he's looking to focus on more personal work, but what that ends up turning into is anyone's guess at this point. I'll be interesting to see what 'retirement' for Marc Laidlaw actually looks like.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I stopped caring about half life years ago

I never cared about half life.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

HL3 kickstarter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.