What is the best Mario Kart?

#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (704 posts) -

#2 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (704 posts) -

I believe Double Dash is the best because its the most unique out of all of them with character specific power-ups and two-man karts. It was also my first.

#3 Posted by FLStyle (4599 posts) -

I’m a pretty staunch subscriber to the Unified Mario Kart Alpha Theory. For the non-scholars out there, this theory dictates that, within a certain margin of error, a person’s first Mario Kart game will always be their favorite, and any subsequent Mario Kart experiences are spent trying to recapture that initial, and fairly specific, buzz of camaraderie, trash-talk, and impossible, shamelessly computer-assisted comebacks.

- Ryan Davis

#4 Posted by supermonkey122 (813 posts) -

Mario Kart 64

#5 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

I’m a pretty staunch subscriber to the Unified Mario Kart Alpha Theory. For the non-scholars out there, this theory dictates that, within a certain margin of error, a person’s first Mario Kart game will always be their favorite, and any subsequent Mario Kart experiences are spent trying to recapture that initial, and fairly specific, buzz of camaraderie, trash-talk, and impossible, shamelessly computer-assisted comebacks.

- Ryan Davis

And my first was Mario Kart 64, which is my favorite.

#6 Posted by Nux (2307 posts) -

The first one you play.

#7 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

Yeah, I really like Double Dash the most I had tons of fun with it, and I'd put Mario Kart Wii at the bottom of the list personally.

#8 Posted by animathias (1172 posts) -

I had the most fun with Mario Kart 64 because that's when I had friends around to play it with. I chose Mario Kart 7 because it's quite fun to play, the gameplay is extremely tight, they chose some really good tracks to bring back, and the online play has been flawless for me. I'm almost certain that if I could play with those same friends in some Mario Kart 7 races, it would easily blow MK64 out of the water.

For the record, I had Mario Kart on the SNES when it was released and played the crap out of it with my sister and friends, so the Unified Mario Kart Alpha Theory doesn't apply to me at all.

#9 Posted by NinetySevenA (48 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

- Ryan Davis

Dammit! He's right. I've only played the first one and the DS one though.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

My guess will be the first one any of us played. For me, the first Mario Kart game, thus the best one, was Mario Kart 64.

#11 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

I totally agree with that quote from Ryan. Double Dash was my first and is by far still my favourite.

#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

- Ryan Davis

That margin of error must be fuckin' huge, because there are plenty of people like myself out there who played Super Mario Kart as kids, but prefer Mario Kart 64, or Double Dash.

#13 Posted by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

- Ryan Davis

How eloquent! ...and profoundly true. Mario Kart 64. I'm still well practised and would likely destroy anyone on these forums.

#14 Posted by desolation15 (113 posts) -

Guess I'm an outlier in that theory. My first was Super Mario Kart but my favorite is Mario Kart 64. I liked most of the maps and being able to play four players at the time was pretty great. I played the hell out of SMK, but MK64 just blows that game out of the water. I mean, in SMK when you turn, your character's sprite change and the screen rotates. How pathetically primitive.

And maybe because I mastered both of those games but I found that later games the computer assist comeback, "auto-catchup" as we called it back in the day, is a lot more blatant compared to the classics.

So yeah... MK64, while it didn't pop my Mario Kart cherry, it's still my favorite.

#15 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

The theory is wrong, Double Dash is the best one.

Shit has 16 player LAN support.

#16 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I really liked the Wii version, so I picked that. My first Mario Kart was the SNES version, so there's always an exception to the rule.

#17 Posted by Incapability (201 posts) -

64 representin'!

It also happens to be the only Mario Kart game I played, but it left quite an impression,

#18 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

64 was my first and I'd still put it at the bottom of the list. MK Wii is my favorite.

#19 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

- Ryan Davis

Very true. SNES for me. Weed, Beer, Chicken Fingers and good times...

#20 Posted by The_LMFAO_Guy (192 posts) -

Kart Mario 46

#21 Posted by Fallen189 (4944 posts) -

DS

#22 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Double dash all the way. Baby park and dk mountain are amazing.

#23 Posted by BRich (431 posts) -

SNES by far

#24 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (704 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: Fact

#25 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

In order:

N64

DS

Wii

SNES

GCN

GBA

I feel like AI rubberbanding wasn't nearly as bad until Double Dash came out; the flying blue shell blew everything to hell-and-high-water.

#26 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6107 posts) -

I think Mario Kart Wii was definitely my favorite. The N64 was my first, and I've played a few of the others, but I think the Wii version got the formula just right.

#27 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

I think MK64 had the best balance of skill vs rubberband, though I'm biased. That game was a big part of my childhood.

Though really, The Wii version has a bullet that drives FOR you and KILLS everything in it's way. And you can get it like 4 times in a race if you suck.

#28 Posted by Jeust (10493 posts) -
@LiquidS said:

@FLStyle said:

- Ryan Davis

Very true. SNES for me. Weed, Beer, Chicken Fingers and good times...

Yep, SNES for me too. Nothing beats playing with your best friend. ^^
#29 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

I am gonna say mario kart 64 is my favorite although i played the snes one before that.

But the theory is not really wrong i guess, 64 was the one where i got the most multiplayer in.

Which is what makes those games shine.

#30 Posted by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

64 was the first I played, but not much from that era has aged well. Dodgy framerate, bizarre turning, all that. After how smooth every Mario Kart has been since, it's pretty hard to go back.

So I say DS. A Mario Kart game is usually pretty good, but not a huge system seller, but Mario Kart DS was one of the definitive DS games. It was polished, you didn't need to rely on weapons to win, had Mission mode, the first Battle Mode with bots, and some of the best tracks in the series (Waluigi Pinball, Wario Stadium).

#31 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

I say DS as well. This is coming from someone who played a little SNES kart and a ton of 64 kart. I haven't played the GCN or Wii versions, but the portability factor of the DS version is another factor that makes that game for me.

#32 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@destruktive said:

@FLStyle said:

- Ryan Davis

And my first was Mario Kart 64, which is my favorite.

My first Mario Kart was SNES, and I played it with Bros.

MK64 was my favorite. Fuck that theory.

#33 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (731 posts) -

My first was Super Mario Kart but I'd have to say my favourite is a tie with that and Double Dash, with Double Dash just edging it out if I'm pushed.

Mario Kart 7 is my 2nd/3rd favourite.

For me, there wasn't much of a leap between Super and 64 or the GBA version, the team-ups in Double Dash may well have been a gimmick but it was at least different enough to make it feel like a significantly different game. Then, in my opinion, no innovation on that level until 7. Although I haven't played Mario Kart Wii at all, but I understand that had motorbikes and stunts? That may have been my 3rd favourite had I played it before 7.

#34 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2209 posts) -

Double Dash beats all once you've played with 15 OTHER FREAKIN PEOPLE AT ONCE.

#35 Posted by fieldafar (24 posts) -

Super Mario Kart was my first, but I'm gonna go with Mario Kart 64. Damn, I've had a lot of fun on that one, especially when I had good friends playing with me.

#36 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

Mario Kart 64, because of the Unified Mario Kart Alpha Theory.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.