Anybody else remember this?

#1 Edited by TMThomsen (2080 posts) -

Go away Boo! You're hurting my hand!
I stumbled upon this image while browsing the web and it made me think back to the days my and my friends were playing Mario Party 1 non-stop. The image refers to the mini-games where the players have to rotate the analog stick for an X amount of time to complete the goal. 

I especially remember the "Pedal Power" mini-game where you had to power a light bulb with a stationary bike. To complete the minigame, you had to rotate the analog stick furiously for 30 sec or so - resulting in minor skin lacerations from the friction.

O the memories.
#2 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

Yes.

#3 Posted by Skytylz (4037 posts) -

first time i've seen this picture, but mario party rocked!

#4 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -

Oh god, yes. Those games were the worst. I'm getting pains in my palms just thinking about 'em!

#5 Posted by PDC_Emulator (184 posts) -

The words "Mario Party" brings back the painful memory of the Tug o War mini game, and the ensuing desturction of my palm, as seen in Exhibit A.

May god have mercy on our souls

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

I remember playing a very considerable amount of Mario Party 4 and 5 back on the Gamecube, it was pretty fun.

#7 Posted by Big_D (169 posts) -

i tore a hole in my hands many a time doing the fishing for coins mini-game. I tried different methods but the hole in the hand way was always the best.

#8 Posted by Captain_Insano (1556 posts) -

Yea pedal power was a fkn bitch. Not only was my hand wrecked but the stick was never the same after either. Was all loose and shit like that.

#9 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

I remember those games. They didn't rough up my hands as badly as other people claim it roughed up theirs, but they were still annoying.

#10 Posted by Evilsbane (4698 posts) -

I started wearing gloves when my cousin would come over, god I still remember the god awful blisters I would get, that analog stick was truly a work of the devil.

#11 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Haha, good times.

#12 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Yep, I too remember blisters from the tug of war game. Actually IIRC my mom was reading in a magazine where you could get some gloves being marketed directly for Mario Party, always wanted some of those.

#13 Edited by TMThomsen (2080 posts) -

This topic was discussed in last week's bombcast. I never actually heard of any "official gloves" though - sure wish I'd had them back then :P.

#14 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I don't remember that specific mini game, but it's been such a long time. I really was never too crazy about the Mario Party games. What killed me was the board game layout, I thought it was so boring and slow and dragged out matches for far too long. Still, I know all about high speed analog rotating. It's not cool.

#15 Posted by mrmanga (221 posts) -

Well when i had a N 64 i never got around to play Mario Party so sorry but no. However i got the same problem with Mario 64 against bowser...
#16 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

OH MAN! I totally had that happen to me. Fucking raft minigame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.