Mario Sports Mix Hitting in 2011

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

No longer allowed a vacation after a major release, Mario will return in 2011 in Mario Sports Mix, a colorful mini-game title that will drop the Nintendo mascot in a few activities he's never competed in before.

Sports Mix features a total of four familiar sports: volleyball, basketball, ice hockey, and dodgeball. But don't allow the conventional rule sets to muddy your vision of what the game is. Like all Mario sports titles, Sports Mix will feature twisted variations on the rules that make the mini-games more fun than what they would be if you and I got together for an afternoon. 

One of those rule wrinkles are coins. Each mini-game will have collectible coins that add bonus points to scores. There will also be power-up items that can change how the game works, Mario Kart-style offensive weapons, and even the levels will have their own tricks. To snag Nintendo's examples: a sliding volleyball court or bonus rings in the basketball game.  

Sports Mix is a Wii-exclusive that will support up to four players.     
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

No longer allowed a vacation after a major release, Mario will return in 2011 in Mario Sports Mix, a colorful mini-game title that will drop the Nintendo mascot in a few activities he's never competed in before.

Sports Mix features a total of four familiar sports: volleyball, basketball, ice hockey, and dodgeball. But don't allow the conventional rule sets to muddy your vision of what the game is. Like all Mario sports titles, Sports Mix will feature twisted variations on the rules that make the mini-games more fun than what they would be if you and I got together for an afternoon. 

One of those rule wrinkles are coins. Each mini-game will have collectible coins that add bonus points to scores. There will also be power-up items that can change how the game works, Mario Kart-style offensive weapons, and even the levels will have their own tricks. To snag Nintendo's examples: a sliding volleyball court or bonus rings in the basketball game.  

Sports Mix is a Wii-exclusive that will support up to four players.     
#2 Edited by kratos (208 posts) -

dumb

#3 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Hockey! cant wait

#4 Posted by Banjo_ace (118 posts) -
@kratos said:
" dumb "
i second that
#5 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I was kind of hoping for Mario Golf Wii, not really sure about this one. The basketball looked cool, but NBA Jam might do it better. We'll see.

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18881 posts) -

This will sell millions.

#7 Posted by bretthancock (778 posts) -

Mario Strikers Charged is an awesome game, this should carry on the legacy nicely.

#8 Posted by Shaanyboi (1255 posts) -

i'll give it a rent, just to try it.

#9 Posted by Seedofpower (3924 posts) -

It's all about the Benjamins.

#10 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

I don't get why they dont include football.

it is a much more popular sport than dodgeball or volleyball!

#11 Posted by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -

I generally skip all the Mario "sports" titles except for golf.  However, I am intrigued by the inclusion of Dodgeball.  Super Dodge Ball was one of the most fun multiplayer games on the original NES.  I'm intrigued to see what first party Nintendo can do with dodge ball in a game. 

#12 Posted by ICE_Trey (20 posts) -

oy...more mario mini games

#13 Posted by FrankTheGank (74 posts) -

Still see no reason to buy a wii.

#14 Posted by MeatSim (10732 posts) -

Playing basketball in suspenders can't be comfortable.

#15 Posted by Nasar7 (2582 posts) -

This looks like Mario Power Tennis. Which means to say it looks good.

#16 Posted by Kohryu (30 posts) -

Hockey is the only good game in there...

#17 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6033 posts) -

This looks pretty fun.
#18 Posted by Gredler (5 posts) -

I will buy it for the hockey too, if anyone can do a wii hockey experience correctly it will be the big N. I hope so, at least...

The first thing I thought of when I heard about Wii all those many years ago was the potential for a hockey game. Seems like it'd be simple to map shot power to wiimote swing intensity, pass with a button, and check with a nunchucku waggle. Then EA had to go and make a more accurate simulation with a dual analog, and I never looked at my wii for hockey again.   

If nothing else maybe this will give dev's good ideas on how to put together a good hockey control scheme. Wii Hitz anyone? Yes please.

#19 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

This is great since it would just be one all-in-one sports game and not dozens like in previous generations.

@kratos said:

" dumb "

You didn't even bother to capitalize. This isn't Youtube here, bud. We encourage semi-coherent posts.
#20 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -
@FrankTheGank: Really? Super Mario Galaxy 2, new Zelda, new Kirby, new Donkey Kong, and, of course, the already made Mario, Zelda and Metroid titles aren't enough for you? Maybe's some GoldenEye nostalgia in there somewhere... 

XD But seriously, the Wii's doing great, something that's harder for me to say about my console of choice ATM (the Xbox 360.)
#21 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -
@kratos said:
" dumb "
What you should have said was:

AHHH-THEEEE-NAAAAAA! WHY DO THE GODS TORMENT ME WITH MARIO SPORTS GAMES!!!???!!!??!!
#22 Posted by MrQuizmo (53 posts) -

As much as I detest Mini-Game collections, Nintendo does them second to none. I mean, Mario Party (the early ones, up to about 3) is still a kick to play with friends.

#23 Posted by LordCrom (277 posts) -

Looks like a fun game to sit around and play with my 3 year old.  Let's just hope its produced better than those Mario & Sonic at the Olympics games, huh huh?
#24 Posted by VictoryCheezin (40 posts) -

never really got into the mario sports games but wouldnt mind chucking a ball at toads stupid face

#25 Edited by maxim2boobles (52 posts) -

looks like fun.  i never knew mario was a secret character in nba jam

#26 Posted by TheWoj (62 posts) -

Since my friends and I always enjoyed the individual Mario sports games, and are kind of growing tired of using Rock Band as a go-to party game, this should be a great one to throw down in.

#27 Posted by ChrisColina (27 posts) -

Looks ok

#28 Posted by dragaroo (26 posts) -

As a big fan of Power Tennis and Strikers, this looks SWEET.

#29 Posted by reddragon19k (24 posts) -

Looks like Mario has done it again this time! More sports, More Mario!!

#30 Posted by soccerkid82 (35 posts) -

kinda thrilled for this....loved mario sluggers, wish i had gotten mario strikers, and of course mario hoops for the DS....i think this will be pretty cool

#31 Posted by RobotofDarkness (12 posts) -

It'll come out at 2011.

#32 Posted by reddragon19k (24 posts) -

I just found that the Japanese version will come out on Thanksgiving Day but still no answer on the 2011 American release.

#33 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

I fear this may be the last time we see Mario doing sports, since all his spin-offs are taken over by Wii_titles. First Wii Sports, then Wii Party....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.