Glitched-Up Mario Videos For Weirdos

• 53 results
Posted by Jeff (3400 posts) -
Offworld put me onto this Youtube playlist full of glitched-up Super Mario Bros. videos. Some are the standard, boring ROM hacks that you see all over the place. But the others, they're actually pretty rad. They appear to have been created by someone who is pumping an emulator full of nefarious Game Genie codes, and the results are awesome... if you like the way broken old technology looks and sounds.

Ryan and I spent a significant chunk of time staring at circuit bent instruments on eBay earlier this week, and this sort of falls in the same vein of saying "HEY LOOK, WE BROKE THIS THING IN A WAY THAT YOU MIGHT FIND COOL IF YOU'RE MESSED UP IN THE HEAD."

So... I find these to be pretty cool. Here's my favorite, and while we're at it, here's a video of a circuit bent Speak and Spell to go with it.

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3400 posts) -
Offworld put me onto this Youtube playlist full of glitched-up Super Mario Bros. videos. Some are the standard, boring ROM hacks that you see all over the place. But the others, they're actually pretty rad. They appear to have been created by someone who is pumping an emulator full of nefarious Game Genie codes, and the results are awesome... if you like the way broken old technology looks and sounds.

Ryan and I spent a significant chunk of time staring at circuit bent instruments on eBay earlier this week, and this sort of falls in the same vein of saying "HEY LOOK, WE BROKE THIS THING IN A WAY THAT YOU MIGHT FIND COOL IF YOU'RE MESSED UP IN THE HEAD."

So... I find these to be pretty cool. Here's my favorite, and while we're at it, here's a video of a circuit bent Speak and Spell to go with it.

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Staff
#2 Edited by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Who would do this - how would they do this? more importantly WHY! would they do this???? :s

And the select map??!?!?! OMG!!!!!!
#3 Posted by deathfury (530 posts) -

That's wild and wacky!

#4 Posted by piecat (384 posts) -

It took like 10 minutes to load the videos for some reason, but besides that, this is awesome in a crazy way.

#5 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

haha wow some of those are nuts

#6 Posted by wrecks (2197 posts) -

That just makes me want to go hook up my nes and play some SMB3, like now!

#7 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

Oh man! Those Mario videos are so scary!!!!!

#8 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11413 posts) -

That video was crazy, but I couldn't watch the last hack because it hurt my eyes.

#9 Posted by ComradeCrash (558 posts) -

Cool video!  I think that happened to my Super Mario Bros. 3 once long, long ago...bring back memories...

#10 Posted by dannyodwyer (351 posts) -

Oh lord. If that Circuit Bender has a woman in his life, she tied up and gagged in his dungeon with the rest of wacky electronic abortions.

#11 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -

I think I need to take a couple of advil and go lie down now.

#12 Posted by natetodamax (19164 posts) -

I got a headache after the first 30 seconds.

#13 Edited by AndrewB (7438 posts) -

Two things: I love the remixes that the glichted music creates, and I think someone should make an actual Super Mario Bros 3 mod that includes the brick-kicking suit as a power-up.

Edit: how is being able to play the VS, Mario Bros original battle mode a glitch?

#14 Posted by NinjaSquirrel (232 posts) -

What the crap?

#15 Posted by JediAutobot (200 posts) -

Love the S'n'S!

#16 Posted by Mac (71 posts) -

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

#17 Posted by Wright (637 posts) -

I can only assume those are made by satan.

#18 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Wackkkkyyyy!

#19 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

Thats pretty awesome, always liked videos of people glitching games.

#20 Posted by JJOR64 (18881 posts) -

Awesome video.

#21 Posted by Hughes (398 posts) -

Haha i was watching some corruption videos just like last week or so. They're pretty funny

#22 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

After watching half of it, I came to the assessment of WHAT THE FUCKS THE POINT?!?!
It's just a pile full of dumb, it hurts your eyes and its a real waste of a good NES smb3.

The other video, I'm sure that's how he gets all the ladies. "Up now is DJ SPEAK'N'SPELL y'alls"

#23 Posted by DXSSI (266 posts) -

That was... odd.  But interesting.

AndrewB
said:

"Two things: I love the remixes that the glichted music creates, and I think someone should make an actual Super Mario Bros 3 mod that includes the brick-kicking suit as a power-up.

Edit: how is being able to play the VS, Mario Bros original battle mode a glitch?"
You normally can't in one-player mode, and I think they were trying to illustrate that no one could control Luigi, thus making the mode worthless.  Also, they were stuck in the far-off corner of the map screen, unable to access any "real" levels.
#24 Posted by Lifestrike (481 posts) -

The music in corruption 5 is.... intriguing.

#25 Posted by TomServo (199 posts) -

It's sounds like he's torturing poor speak and spell!!!!

#26 Posted by lvl10Wizard (326 posts) -

Super Mario 3: Psychedelic Mushroom Feast Edition is where it's at!

#27 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Lame.

#28 Posted by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -

The mario video is just plain weird, but the speak and spell is pretty interesting.

#29 Posted by Zuul (313 posts) -

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

#30 Posted by DondonIcon (114 posts) -

Play both videos together.
ITS MAD!!!

#31 Posted by John1912 (1811 posts) -

Im not sure why I should care about either of these.  The mario game just looks broken, and the speak and spell hurts my ears.

#32 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

HEY LOL THET WOZ WEERD BUT KL

#33 Posted by CreamyGoodness (1086 posts) -

sveet

#34 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -
#35 Posted by Brackynews (4037 posts) -

i Am ImPrEsSed In WaYs I canNoT yEt FaTHom wiThin tHIs mEaTY hUsk.

#36 Posted by KnifeySpoony (1163 posts) -

Hahaha, after spending much of this evening listening to Boards of Canada, this is right up my alley, thank you Jeff.

#37 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

@zityz

the last half was the better half.
the music in #s 4 & 5 was cool.

Hey Jeff, where's the damn Nintendo standard " ! WARNING - Seizures" alert at the head of this post?
#38 Edited by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

Corruption type 1-3: Haha what the hell is this?

Corruption type 4: This music *owns*.

Corruption type 5: *vomit*

This video was pretty bad for my head.

#39 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

not as cool as the article made me think it would be

#40 Posted by KingOfIceland (653 posts) -

Everything after 2 just blows my mind

#41 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4238 posts) -

One of the first things I did with my games, even as a kid, was to see how I could screw them up.  Used to trick out the reset button on my old 2600 so things would mess up, used to skip around the walls in Combat.  Was fun :)

#42 Posted by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -

Watching both of those in a row gave me a massive headache. ugh.

#43 Posted by Duckbutter (412 posts) -

is it safe to say this Jeff guy needs a life yet? but know this: you can make some super dope beats with those glitched out Mario musics. i'm gonna have to yoink some of this off of YouTube and add some booms and ticks if you know what i'm sayin.

#44 Posted by ShiroMe (130 posts) -

R2-D2 we found you!

#45 Posted by ShadowDoGG (134 posts) -

LAme...

#46 Posted by DeanJParker (54 posts) -

I wasted 5 mins of my life watching this... I decided to use the other 5 usefully

#47 Posted by Canberra (1065 posts) -

corruption type 5. hurts me.

#48 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Evil. EVIL I TELL YOU.

#49 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

that Speak & spell video is pretty crazy awesomeness

#50 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

This is what happens when Mario eats to many shrooms.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.