Wait a minute...Luke Skywalker is The Joker?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by natetodamax (19204 posts) -

What.

I would have never guessed. He doesn't sound anything like he did as Luke back in Star Wars, even though that was many years ago.

EDIT: Alright, so this is old news. I wasn't aware of this

#2 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

you didn't know that?

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I think you're late on this.

#4 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

He was the Joker on the cartoon as well.  He's actually had a prolific career as a voice talent he's gotta put food on the table.

#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

That's a sign of a professional voice actor. It's always surprising to see that they did other voices or cameos.

#6 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

Hamill's been voicing the Joker ever since the animated series in the 90's. He does a ton of voice work these days.

Voice acting starts to look more and more appealing when your face looks like this

#7 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I think most people know since he's been doing it for awhile, but yeah, he's a fantastic voice actor.  If you've ever seen Avatar: The Last Airbender, he's the voice of Firelord Ozai in that.

#8 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

DOY!!!  He's been The Joker in a TON of shit!!!

#9 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (720 posts) -

Yeah when I learned this a number of years ago I was like HOLY SHIT!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!  BUt yeah its crazy, you just can't picture it, and even when you find out you still can't picture it.  Kinda makes me want to see a recording session of him as the Joker.

#10 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

Yeah, I still have trouble picturing Hamill doing a maniacal voice.

#11 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -
@Lies: Well, he is getting up there in age...
#12 Edited by natetodamax (19204 posts) -

I've never followed Batman. 

Arkham Asylum is the first Batman game I've ever played, and this fact took my by surprise.

#13 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -
@Shini4444 said:
" @Lies: Well, he is getting up there in age... "
Car accidents can also do that to you.
#14 Posted by Delta_Ass (3279 posts) -
@Lies said:
" Hamill's been voicing the Joker ever since the animated series in the 90's. He does a ton of voice work these days.

Voice acting starts to look more and more appealing when your face looks like this
  "
Yep... at this rate, he's gonna resemble ol Palpatine pretty soon.
#15 Posted by hungrynun (444 posts) -
#16 Posted by Creamypies (4064 posts) -

Wow... an actor who can play different characters! Who'd have thunk it?!

#17 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

I was a little surprised when I learned it too. However that was a long time ago :)

#18 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -
@systech said:
" @Shini4444 said:
Car accidents can also do that to you. "
Oh yeah, forgot about that.
#19 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

you guys are harsh, he doesn't look bad, he looks like most anyone else at his age.  hmm, how much money do you think he got from star wars alone...

#20 Posted by KidStardust (14 posts) -

Something even weirder, Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince did the voice of The Shredder in the original Ninja Turtles cartoon.

#21 Posted by HistoryInRust (6305 posts) -
@Shini4444 said:
" @systech said:
" @Shini4444 said:
Car accidents can also do that to you. "
Oh yeah, forgot about that. "
That was the whole reason for the Wampa scene in Empire, if I remember correctly. They had to explain the greivous scar.
#22 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
@KidStardust said:
" Something even weirder, Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince did the voice of The Shredder in the original Ninja Turtles cartoon. "
LOL WUT. 
#23 Posted by Kohe321 (3528 posts) -

Yeah he is, and he is fantastic!

#24 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -
@Jolly_Lolly said:
" @KidStardust said:
" Something even weirder, Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince did the voice of The Shredder in the original Ninja Turtles cartoon. "
LOL WUT.  "
That was my reaction
#25 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11718 posts) -

Mark Hamill has been the de-facto voice of the Joker since around 1994, but I had the exact same reaction as you when I found that out. 

" @Jolly_Lolly said:
" @KidStardust said:
LOL WUT.  "

For some reason, that strikes me as even weirder than Luke Skywalker being the Joker.
#26 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Mark Hamill has been the de-facto voice of the Joker since around 1994, but I had the exact same reaction as you when I found that out. 
" @Jolly_Lolly said:
" @KidStardust said:
LOL WUT.  "
For some reason, that strikes me as even weirder than Luke Skywalker being the Joker. "
LOL WUT indeed.  My exact reaction to when I found out Hamill was the Joker.
#27 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I found out about this when they had that original Batman/Superman cartoon crossover in the mid 90's.  It was unreal.

#28 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6991 posts) -

You didn't know that? wow.
#29 Posted by joey (984 posts) -
@Lies said:
" Hamill's been voicing the Joker ever since the animated series in the 90's. He does a ton of voice work these days.

"
With makeup, he could play an old joker.
#30 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

I'll miss his Joker voice. I thought it was the best representation of the J-man ever. But I get why a dude typecast as Skywalker would not want to be further typecast.

#31 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" You didn't know that? wow. "
Read one of my previous posts. I said that I've never followed Batman, so this took me by surprise.
#32 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@joey said:
" @Lies said:

"
With makeup, he could play an old joker. "
yeah, Joker attacking the retirement home would be pretty scary.
#33 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Poor Mark Hamill....that car accident really wrecked his acting career. And he was still so young. But he has been a great Joker and he is fantastic in Arkham Asylum.

#34 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Mark Hamill makes a great Joker, thought he was spot on as a kid

#35 Posted by joey (984 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" @joey said:
" @Lies said:

"
yeah, Joker attacking the retirement home would be pretty scary. "
No it could be like arkham asylum like messed him up even more and stuff and he looks older or something.
#36 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I would say welcome to 1992, but you probably weren't alive at that time. He's been the voice of the Joker to me since I was 10 years old.
#37 Posted by iAmJohn (6119 posts) -

This is exactly why you should not be allowed on the internet until you are over the age of 18.  God damned kids these days.

#38 Posted by Protoroll (345 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" This is exactly why you should not be allowed on the internet until you are over the age of 18.  God damned kids these days. "
Well I'm sorry old man if our ignorance offends you. God damn cranky old bastards getting upset for no sensible reason at all. 
#39 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" This is exactly why you should not be allowed on the internet until you are over the age of 18.  God damned kids these days. "
Who are you talking to?
#40 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
yeah they ruinin' our batman and joker discussions, serious business you know.
#41 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" @Lies said:

"
Yep... at this rate, he's gonna resemble ol Palpatine pretty soon. "
Just in time for the (they-are-going-to-make-them-but-no-one-wants-them-to) remakes.
#42 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
That doesn't make sense. Not everyone, no matter what their age is, should be required to know everything. I didn't know this until a few months ago, and I'm over the age of 18. He said he doesn't follow the Batman cartoon, and neither do I. Why would we be expected to know something like this?
#43 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@Protoroll said:
" @iAmJohn said:
Well I'm sorry old man if our ignorance offends you. God damn cranky old bastards getting upset for no sensible reason at all.  "
Its just annoying when someone posts information that seems obvious to you. I knew this already, but Im sure a lot of people didnt.
#44 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Slightly late on this.

#45 Posted by iAmJohn (6119 posts) -

Guys, it was a joke.

#46 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -
@joey said:
" @Lies said:

"
Poor guy never looked the same after that crash.  You could argue that's what screwed up his career. 

I too think it's weird that Luke Skywalker became an extremely accomplished voice actor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.