Anyone notice this?

#1 Posted by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/232750

Cyberpunky and on Mars huh? Sort of Total Recall vibes. Read a few posts elsewhere saying the combat is like the Witcher series a bit, and its a budget title, probably because its a xbla game. Nevertheless I'm on the fence about picking it up, though I might just do it anyways because it's only a twenty.

Maybe they'll do a quicklook, that'd be cool.

#2 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Looks Infamous-y. I'm not much for character action games like that, but the style and aesthetic seems alright. We'll see. Need some gameplay clips.

#3 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

I really wanna know if this is any good. An RPG for 20$ in an original cyberpunk setting. Looks very promising. Anyone played it here?

#4 Edited by BeachThunder (11718 posts) -

This is the only real gameplay I've seen of it (the first episode of someone's Let's Play):

It really gives me a Riddick vibe. Also, I'm not seeing the cyberpunk elements, maybe that's something that occurs later in the game? Anyway, I've put it on my Steam wishlist - maybe I'll pick it up sometime later during a sale.

#5 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

Downloading it now. Will give some impressions during the weekend.

#6 Posted by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

I bought it because it's only twenty. THATS LIKE 8 CHEESEBURGERS.

If this thread still exists I'll throw in some thoughts. It'll probably be a good weekend bruiser.

Kinda gives me that RAGE feel, which I played recently and really liked it (it could have been so much more though... that ending augh)

I love cyberpunk/apocolypse/dystopian/cool shit atmospheric games though, so hopefully this ties me down before Remember Me comes out (it'll probably suck but whatever)

#7 Posted by MildMolasses (3214 posts) -

Using that metric has made every game worthless to me now. No game gives me the same utils as a cheesebuger

#8 Edited by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

@hawkerace said:

Using that metric has made every game worthless to me now. No game gives me the same utils as a cheesebuger

Trust me, you'll think twice on so many purchases if you measure by cheeseburgers.

I've been using that for years now and I've avoided a lot of bad purchases, but I've also put on a lot of weight.

#9 Posted by kishinfoulux (2256 posts) -

I'd like some impressions as well. On paper it sounds pretty cool. I get the feeling it might be awful though.

#10 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Disappointed that it's not Lincoln Logs in space.

Stoked for delicious cheeseburgers.

#11 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Huh. Seems kind of neat for a budget title. Some great space-greaser hair going on too.

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11718 posts) -

Hm, a Titan isn't that expensive if I just think about it in cheeseburgers. Maybe I should go preorder Last Light while I'm at it...

#13 Edited by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

Showing pictures of good food is like the worst thing you can do. It makes me hate you instantly.

#14 Posted by SomberOwl (639 posts) -

@ravenlight: My god they need to make a Lincoln Logs game!

#15 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

So first impressions after ca. 2 hours :

- Did some side quests and advancing the main quest in the first hub, seems pretty linear.

- Combat reminds me of Witcher 2.

- All Standard RPG element seem to be in place (Skills & Attributes, Crafting, Conversation trees, Main & Side quest).

- Not so sure about the Cyberpunk part, so far I would say it's more Steam- than Cyberpunk, but maybe it changes over the course of the game.

- Story has the potential to get interesting.

- From the technical standpoint I would say it's on par with their previous efforts like Game of Thrones and Of Orcs and Men (which I both enjoyed), so expect some jankiness...

- Will definitely carry on during the weekend.

- For the price point it seems pretty okay (you can get it even cheaper (20%) by using the voucher code: GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA on GreenManGaming)

#16 Edited by BeachThunder (11718 posts) -

@harlechquinn: In general, how are you finding the combat? Has there been any shooting so far? Also, are you using KB&M or controller?

#17 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

@beachthunder: The combat is working okay. The main focus seems to be melee so far (1 button for a attack, 1 button for a guard breaker, 1 dodge/roll- and 1 block button (and for the witcher 2 comparison you have to learn/unlock the ability to block attacks from the side), but I also got a gun after a while, so yes there is shooting.

You then can assign three other button/keybinds for quick use (for example, I put the gun, one "special attack" and the healing item on those). You can also access a wheel menu during the combat to use other stuff like grenades or traps.

I am using the 360 controller which is fully supported and works fine.

#18 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

@harlechquinn: In general, how are you finding the combat? Has there been any shooting so far? Also, are you using KB&M or controller?

I've only gotten the first gun in the game so far but in my opinion "shooting" isn't the right way to describe it. The gun acts more like the grappling hook you get in Batman games where you lock on and hit the bound key.

Played about two hours so far and aside from some movement/combat jank and odd writing, I'm really digging this game.

#19 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Not seeing any reviews for this, so please keep us updated.

#20 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1845 posts) -

This is the only real gameplay I've seen of it (the first episode of someone's Let's Play):

It really gives me a Riddick vibe. Also, I'm not seeing the cyberpunk elements, maybe that's something that occurs later in the game? Anyway, I've put it on my Steam wishlist - maybe I'll pick it up sometime later during a sale.

Man, this... this looks pretty interesting, actually. I didn't care at all but now I am seriously considering picking it up.

#21 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

Well, all along I thought this was being developed by Spiderweb Software, and I thought that was weird.

#22 Posted by AssInAss (2546 posts) -

I made a GIF of the combat a while back.

http://i.minus.com/ib10fPtKHoaFLw.gif

So first impressions after ca. 2 hours :

- Did some side quests and advancing the main quest in the first hub, seems pretty linear.

- Combat reminds me of Witcher 2.

- All Standard RPG element seem to be in place (Skills & Attributes, Crafting, Conversation trees, Main & Side quest).

- Not so sure about the Cyberpunk part, so far I would say it's more Steam- than Cyberpunk, but maybe it changes over the course of the game.

- Story has the potential to get interesting.

- From the technical standpoint I would say it's on par with their previous efforts like Game of Thrones and Of Orcs and Men (which I both enjoyed), so expect some jankiness...

- Will definitely carry on during the weekend.

- For the price point it seems pretty okay (you can get it even cheaper (20%) by using the voucher code: GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA on GreenManGaming)

@tonyyj said:

@beachthunder said:

I've only gotten the first gun in the game so far but in my opinion "shooting" isn't the right way to describe it. The gun acts more like the grappling hook you get in Batman games where you lock on and hit the bound key.

Played about two hours so far and aside from some movement/combat jank and odd writing, I'm really digging this game.

Thanks for the impressions! Might just give it a go, and quickly finish it before the FATHER-MOTHER of games drops on April 30th.

http://i.minus.com/iECoJmvlxWRjl.gif

#23 Posted by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

So I'm 30 minutes knee deep in the dead here, eating deliciously universal metric currency, the Cheeseburger, and gotta say I enjoy it already, and really considering how hit and miss games are these days, with prices 40+ I'd say just check her out boys. Might be a good weekend slayer, I wonder how long it is.

#24 Edited by plato84 (67 posts) -

@hawkerace: Damn you that cheese burger looks good,

#25 Posted by kishinfoulux (2256 posts) -

Thanks for all the impressions. I'll probably pick up during a sale eventually. Glad to hear it's not crap though.

#26 Posted by AssInAss (2546 posts) -

I'm really liking this!

Got the stuff for the mechanic, he gives you serum. Now doing the second round of mechanic side quests.

I left my weapons at the drilling well, and came back for it later after stealthing on some dudes.

Could see this being a long game. It's like Riddick (melee, stealth-action, space prison, side quests, hub world) but 3rd person and more RPG stuff. I'm going for a stealth build and it's hard to knockout dudes without alerting other dudes so I need to level up on that. Hiding bodies is hilarious, where do they go?!

#27 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -

Also, I'm not seeing the cyberpunk elements, maybe that's something that occurs later in the game? Anyway, I've put it on my Steam wishlist - maybe I'll pick it up sometime later during a sale.

You are correct in your speculation that the cyber punk elements become more obvious later in the game, specifically towards the end of the first chapter. This comes in the form of technomancy which is basically the ability to use electricity for a variety of purposes in a form that resembles magic.

Other themes appear as well but technomancy is the most obvious. It's cyberpunk lite.

#28 Posted by geirr (2483 posts) -

@hawkerace said:

So envious. It's €20 on Steam here and I can barely get 4 cheeseburgers for that amount of cash.

Be that as it may, I've installed it and I'll play it later. It was totally below my shitty radar and I can't help but be intrigued by it's existence. Also I might get cheeseburgers.

#29 Posted by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

That's too bad, Europeans always get slapped for not having the benefit of a North American luxury that is the cheap disgusting cheeseburger.

Overall I played it for a bit, and really enjoyed it, though it has pretty bad voice acting and weird dialogue, one part that really put me off was:

Cut that shit out developers.

#30 Edited by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

I really am enjoying this game. Playing it on hard and it is quite similar Witcher 2. Although the voice acting, graphics and combat leave something to be desired, I think it is very entertaining and reminiscent of a time when budget games could be decent.

#31 Posted by Wampa1 (627 posts) -

@hawkerace: When that happened I very nearly just quit out as a reflex action before making myself stick through it. It was just really embarrassing and cringe worthy.

#32 Posted by altairre (1139 posts) -

@hawkerace: What? They didn't even change it to bullet (at the very least)? Stuff like that just boggles my mind. It's so out of place.

#33 Posted by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

@wampa1:@altairre:

Don't know what to tell you guys, I guess it's expected that developers are like most normal people, pretty disassociated with mainstream shit, or well... the high dosage of shitty memes and references, so making them seems clearly acceptable and a justified easter egg? I don't know.

#34 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I saw one bit of incredibly boring gameplay today. It was just a guy whacking on a bunch of enemies that just smacked him back. Really dull looking.

#35 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1321 posts) -

I alt+F4'd this game during the first couple minutes, right as you start making choices in the dialog etc. How does someone write this kinda stuff and not notice how insane it is? Jesus, my skin was actually crawling through that prison guys speech... I think he said retard over 10 times and everything has the worst tone and emphasis on it, maybe this is what people think is cool about B movies? (truly terribleness but everyone involved seems to no notice?).

Maybe I'll turn the sound off and queue up the cut scenes while I go do something else, I'm into some of the mechanics advertised being in the game and there's so few games out right now... WHAT AM I DOING! I sort of feel insulted that this is ANY sort of viable option for me, as a person who enjoys video games.

#36 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

I hope they Quick Look it since it's so dead and no major titles are coming out because I'm kinda interested in this but not sure if I want to drop money now or in a few months when it's on sale for $5

#37 Posted by Veektarius (4639 posts) -

@djjoejoe: I have a hard time understanding bad voice acting like that myself. I have no illusions that I'd be the next Nolan North if someone put me in a recording booth, but if I knew the context my dialogue was in, I could at least deliver the sentence with the correct emphases. What do they do that makes it so impossible for paid actors to do the same (well, I suppose it's more likely multitasking programmers in the worst cases)?

#38 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1321 posts) -

@veektarius: Well, I think it's easy to imagine you get a thing of stabled pages of lines, and you just are told to read them in random order. "ok now read lines 10-15 on pages 3 and 4, then move on to pages 7 and read the bottom bits" etc. But yea... when almost 100% of it in game sounds like FUCKING SHIT it's hard to imagine that no one was laughing their asses off doing that shit, maybe they were... it's easy to put a lot of work into a game and have it turn out terrible, was prolly hilarious to work on it. I mean I hope it was.

#39 Edited by Egge (446 posts) -

Have played the first hour or so, and for a cheap downloadable game from some random French developer this is pretty impressive stuff. Structurally there are a ton of similarities with The Witcher 2 (and definitely not just the combat), and while the poor production values and mechanical flaws clearly won't win over the mainstream crowd there's a lot here to like for forgiving fans of quirky Europgs.

#40 Posted by BeachThunder (11718 posts) -

Finally, an incoming QL.

#41 Edited by chilipeppersman (1146 posts) -

@hawkerace: yummmm that looks good. But seriously, I tried this game out and it was pretty fun. Its the sort of game that you have to accept will have a few flaws, but it actually plays really well compared to all the other $20 or so games out there. I was really sucked in, and played it for like 4 hours straight lol. The only thing that has me perplexed is the rumored XBLA release. On GB it says the game was released on 4/26. But if you go on XBLA its not there, anyone know whatsup with this? I would love to play this on my xbox, and I would probably but it for $20. There is no retail release I know of so its all digital....

Any insight would be great! Keep on keepin on duders

#42 Edited by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

I beat it in 9 hours or so, doing everything possible Pretty enjoyable. Though the acting falls flat, and the story abruptly ends. You pay for what you get though, it was pretty interesting. I hope they do something with their game, or at least release some sort of follow up or sequel. There's a lot of lore and story they didn't really flesh out that could have.

The combat is 100% acceptable, and easy to use. I really thought it was neat how they made you customize your ghetto gear and weapons.

Anyone on the fence, and who can tolerate the worst 2 hours (seen on the quicklook)

#43 Posted by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

Game is 33% off on steam.

#44 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (667 posts) -

Yep. Was waiting on a sale to pick it up. Happy to grab it at around $13.

#45 Posted by AssInAss (2546 posts) -

Thanks for the bump, really like the game and it deserves more sales.

#46 Edited by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/mars-war-logs/3030-25556/user-reviews/

I wrote a review, and so did some other gentleman. Fair warning, much like the game the review I wrote lacks polish and quality. Only fitting.

#47 Posted by Hawkerace (275 posts) -

Here's something interesting taken from the steam forums, posted from a focus representative.

Mars War Logs was released in late April and, if

most players

who bought the Spiders Studio title liked the game itself, they were disappointed with the narrative element because the English version strayed too far from the original French. The general feeling was that the translation didn’t stick closely enough to the original French story and dialog.

Luc Heninger, Director of Production at Focus Home Interactive, explains:

Mars contains a vast amount of dialog, even by RPG standards. The plot has numerous strands and the dialog often has many variants to mirror the hero’s changes in reputation. The tight deadlines between the game release dates meant that the initial English translation lacked depth and contained a number of errors; it was then sent to the recording studio, making the job of the actors extremely difficult. The actual game was thoroughly tested and released with very few bugs on PC, but unfortunately the procedures for the audio and text QA failed and allowed many English localization issues to slip through. We realized the extent of the problem after seeing the first feedback from the press and gamers. The result was so far removed from what we usually produce that we took the decision to halt the submission process for the console version, which was due for release only weeks after the PC title. We have re-written the game text and dialog and, of course, recorded the actors again, replacing the sections that weren’t true to the characters in Mars. All these problems will therefore be fixed in the console version. An update is now available for players with the PC game, and we have also incorporated the new audio in the PC versions on the various download sites.

We are pleased to share with you a video showing the first 7 minutes of the game, featuring the new localization and the new English voices present in all versions of the game.

Mars War Logs is currently available on PC and will be today's Daily Deal on Steam, at -33%. The game is scheduled for release on Xbox LIVE® and the PlayStation®Network in September 2013.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.