Would you go to Mars?

#1 Posted by troll93 (378 posts) -

I have been thinking about this a bit lately, thought I would get your thoughts.

Let's assume that Mars has been terraformed to the point that you could live on the surface with no masks ect, but the weather for the next 50-100 years will be more extreme i.e. lots of cyclones, tornadoes, earthquakes ect. As for Earth, it is more or less like it is today, perhaps a bit more over crowded. You can travel between Earth and Mars, but it is very expensive, and took 3 months each way. This is the first wave of colonisation, only minimal infrastructure, government. No 'organised' marauders, just normal criminals.

The question is, would you move to Mars in this situation? Even with all the downsides, I still think that I would, because then I would BE ON MARS!

#2 Posted by Sinusoidal (1152 posts) -

No earthquakes on Mars. No plate tectonics. I'd be there in a second. Well, three months.

#3 Posted by troll93 (378 posts) -

@Sinusoidal said:

No earthquakes on Mars. No plate tectonics. I'd be there in a second. Well, three months.

I am thinking more about residual effects from smashing asteroids full of water/ nitrogen into the planet. While I am no geologist, I have to assume that it would have some long term effect on the ground stability.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (12973 posts) -

Nope. I can't explain why, but even Earth's moon seems more interesting to me than Mars. In my head, I like to think that all the people who have uttered the words "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" took to colonizing the moon under giant glass domes, where we could keep a close eye on the earth and get all of our supplies sling-shotted towards us via the space elevator. Mars... in your situation, it's just Earth 2.0. Not interested.

#5 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4495 posts) -

How could it be more overcrowded if this is the first wave? I mean, if we're talking legit Wild West in Space, then... no, because that shit was boring as fuck IRL. If it's like Gangs of New York - if there's lots of people already there - then totally. Shit's always craziest where people are moving to.

#6 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

I would spare my life for others to go if given the opportunity. But there again, I love drama. I would die for the mission for the life experience...

#7 Posted by troll93 (378 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg: In my mind, Mars has just been opened up for full immigration by the UN/whatever agency. Already has a small town/city 100k-200k at the space elevator/dock whatever. Earth's population has continued to grow, meaning more people on a finite space, thus Earth is slightly more crowded.

#8 Posted by Sinusoidal (1152 posts) -

@troll93: Scientists estimate that Mars' crust is basically one big rock. If you managed to smash enough asteroids into it to cause earthquakes, you've probably rendered it inhabitable.

#9 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

If there are babes and $ I'm in, yolo bro.

#10 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -

yes

#11 Posted by Kornnugget (28 posts) -

If Mars was terraformed, I would totally go. I think it was be awesome even given the risk of bad weather and natural disaster. I think the hard question is would you go if you had to live in a controlled environment with 100 people. It only takes one moron to drive the Mars Rover though a wall and vent all the oxygen.

#12 Posted by Trilogy (2569 posts) -

I'd have to go at least once.

#13 Posted by Village_Guy (2407 posts) -

Only if it was with a Murder-(but-not-lethal)-Slingshot.

#14 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Fuck yes. Fuck Earth!

#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4057 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

If there are babes and $ I'm in bro.

#16 Posted by sam1am7000 (98 posts) -

@troll93: Clearly a question for the bombcast (whenever the next one is).

#17 Posted by fetchfox (1158 posts) -

Nah, I'd just follow the streams and twitter feeds.

#18 Posted by Sanj (2235 posts) -

Hell friggin yes.

#19 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

UH FUCK YES.

#20 Posted by isomeri (1172 posts) -

Of course! The journey through space would be reason enough for me.

#21 Posted by UitDeToekomst (661 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

UH FUCK YES.

seconded

#22 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3479 posts) -

I wanna bone a Martian.

#23 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

Not to live or anything. I'd go there to solve crime.

#24 Posted by AmatureIdiot (981 posts) -
#25 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4495 posts) -

@troll93: Oh, I read that wrong. Ok then, yeah I might pop over at least for a bit. See how they do things.

#26 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -

Hell yes I'd go.

#27 Posted by Rafaelfc (1283 posts) -

Page 2 and no Total Recall reference?

Yeah, I'll definitely get my ass to Mars!

#28 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Nope. I can't explain why, but even Earth's moon seems more interesting to me than Mars. In my head, I like to think that all the people who have uttered the words "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" took to colonizing the moon under giant glass domes, where we could keep a close eye on the earth and get all of our supplies sling-shotted towards us via the space elevator. Mars... in your situation, it's just Earth 2.0. Not interested.

I also think the appeal of looking at Earth from the Moon would be pretty great. Still can't believe noone has landed on the moon since 1972, why don't we have a moon base yet. Put James Cameron up their with a HD 3D camera. 40 years since (apparently) a man was on the moon, is it too hard to hoax it now?

#29 Posted by theodacourt (510 posts) -

I think the more interesting question is the real question about going to mars. It's so near impossible to get there that it would be impossible to get there and back with current technology. They are looking for people who have no ties to family and are quite old to go the mars and never come back when the time comes for a manned expedition.

Would you go to Mars if you're 50 and leave everyone you know and love, all human/pet companionship, knowing that you will die there?

I would.

#30 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

I'm perfectly happy in my country, here on earth. Enjoy Mars.

Lucky bastards.

#31 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Yes I'd love to but only for a vacation.

#32 Posted by Hunter5024 (5173 posts) -

I would go there and open up a juice store, and because it's the only juice store, people will have to go there when they want juice, and then I'll be rich.

#33 Posted by notdavid (757 posts) -

Only if there's wifi.

#34 Posted by Daiphyer (1274 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

I would go there and open up a juice store, and because it's the only juice store, people will have to go there when they want juice, and then I'll be rich.

I'll open a juice AND breakfast store next to your juice store and run you out of business!

Humans, doing things to spite one another even on another planet.

#35 Posted by Hunter5024 (5173 posts) -

@Daiphyer said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I'll open a juice AND breakfast store next to your juice store and run you out of business!

Shit.

#36 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Yes! Even if I would know that I would die after a week on Mars, I would still go.

#37 Posted by PillClinton (3284 posts) -

@theodacourt said:

I think the more interesting question is the real question about going to mars. It's so near impossible to get there that it would be impossible to get there and back with current technology. They are looking for people who have no ties to family and are quite old to go the mars and never come back when the time comes for a manned expedition.

Would you go to Mars if you're 50 and leave everyone you know and love, all human/pet companionship, knowing that you will die there?

I would.

Indeed, as would I. Contributing to the first real, permanent steps of humanity outside our home planet would be an honor, and an incredible experience. And this isn't even a fully hypothetical situation right now; if I had the money to contribute to Elon Musk's future Mars colonization program, I'd already be on the waiting list.

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

No. I just watched Red Planet and that movie was hella bad. Fuck Mars.

I would however go to the Sun. Sunshine was a cool movie.

#39 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

I'd like to say I would, but I know I wouldn't be able to deal with the food situation, you'd have to turn into a vegan essentially, screw that.

#40 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

@troll93 said:

@Sinusoidal said:

I am thinking more about residual effects from smashing asteroids full of water/ nitrogen into the planet. While I am no geologist, I have to assume that it would have some long term effect on the ground stability.

Nonsense.

#41 Edited by believer258 (11043 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Daiphyer said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Shit.

I'll open a Mars equivalent to Wal-Mart and put a stop to small business the planet over.

EDIT: Oh, wait. A serious answer.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. If the air is breathable and I have no danger of suffocating just because I stuck my nose out of the door, then maybe. Still, Earth is home, and I can't imagine never seeing snow or cool air or a heavy, rainy summer's day. Plus, I've played Doom. Might give me nightmares and such.

#42 Posted by mosespippy (3743 posts) -

I'd rather go if it were a more realistic scenario. 500 days in transit and one way travel would make it that much more enticing for me to go since the stakes are so much higher.

#43 Posted by Somnus (81 posts) -

Hell yeah i would! Even if it was a one way ticket, id still probably go. Think of the adventure! I would be a real spaceman!

#44 Posted by s10129107 (1166 posts) -
#45 Edited by SeanFoster (837 posts) -

Yes, I would. I was born a few centuries too early.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.