Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Beginning with the events of Marvel's Secret War and going into Civil War, players will take control of several Marvel characters in this follow up to the first Ultimate Alliance game.

Hopes and Dreams

Avatar image for alucardalacarte
    AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

My main problem with the previous game was that they took away the ability to customize your characters' stats. One of the coolest things for me in the X-Men Legends games was to take two characters who were similar (say Juggernaut and Collusus) and give one incredibly high attack and the other incredibly high defense. It made the characters more unique and gave you a reason to actually use both whereas in Ultimate Alliance, there's no good reason to use Luke Cage and The Thing (for instance) because they level up almost identically and have almost the same moves. That's my other hope: more unique moves.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By suneku

Yeah hopefully the customization is more in-depth. There were so many useless characters in the last one, it seemed like they just tossed them all in 1 game to make more people buy it.

Dimitris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dimitris
    DiscoLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DiscoLights
    suneku said:
    "Yeah hopefully the customization is more in-depth. There were so many useless characters in the last one, it seemed like they just tossed them all in 1 game to make more people buy it."
    i agree...Half of them were copies of other characters just with new skins...Major disappointment
    nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nutter

My biggest gripes about the last game were the weak story and what felt like the botching of core mechanics for an action-rpg title. 

*All four players had to share one camera, leading to people getting stuck behind objects and other issues a la Gauntlet. It's not the mid-90s. One camera per television, please. 
    *There were no persistant characters between saves. If I'm playing a couple of sessions with different people, I can't merge my character into the second game. It makes playing with people on different schedues, or playing with more than 4 people difficult.  Also, you had to invite people to the game so that the accepted the invites in the proper order if you want to give people their characters back without the convoluted character swap system. It was a mess. 
    *It was a loot game and you had to pause the action on everyone each time you wanted to equip an item or spend some points. This KILLS the action for folks that want to control their leveling and gear. 

I think those were my major gripes. I guess the AI takes over while you're in menus now, which is an okay solution, I suppose. Diablo had a better solution 15+ years ago when they just made the action keep going while you were tweaking your character. You could fallback and do what you needed, then hop back into the action. Blizzard also gave everyone their own camera and let you maintain persistant characters over multiple sessions. Everyone creating these kinds of games should really start with those basics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.