Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Beginning with the events of Marvel's Secret War and going into Civil War, players will take control of several Marvel characters in this follow up to the first Ultimate Alliance game.

Why is this game so exspensive?

blabbermouth64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By blabbermouth64

I've been trying to buy this game used at a decent price for a few years now. And every time I would look, the price would remain locked at $40 for used copies. I recently saw that the price finally moved down to about $30, so I finally gave in and just bought it. I figure that $10 is because it is no longer on the current generation of consoles.

Does anyone have any idea why this game is and has been so expensive? A guy that worked at Gamestop told my that they only made a certain amount and that a delivery truck full of copies of the game got lost or exploded or something, so the limited number of them drove up the price. I don't really trust this guy from a few years ago as a reliable source of information, so let me know if you have any thoughts or know why it costs so much!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I've heard some real gems come out of Gamestop employees over the years, but that one is pretty good.

Anyway, who knows what the real story is behind MUA2. Great game, I think it's still worth $40 or so. If you are looking for something to scratch that itch in the meantime, check out Marvel Heroes 2015. It's quite similar in a lot of ways and totally free, not to mention there are a bunch of GB people actively playing it and it features a ton of characters and content.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Didn't the game have some sort of licensing issue a few years back between marvel and activision? I know this drew up the price for marvel capcom 2 before the 2009 digital release when capcom license ran out before they re-upped which lasted I think till 2013.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

They don't sell the DLC characters anymore do they? I was lucky enough to buy that game at just the right time before the price rocketed up and the DLC was still available. I missed out on the DLC characters for the first MUA, though =/

Avatar image for themightyskullboy
    TheMightySkullboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The loss of the Marvel license is probably the real issue. Although, the game came out in 2009, and as far as I can tell, Activision didn't lose the license until early 2014.

I think it also reviewed poorly compared to the first one, so maybe there aren't that many copies out there. But since it's a sequel to a fan-favorite, it's still in demand.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Haven't check but back in 2010 they pulled the dlc when their license with marvel ran out. I think they might of re-upped them when they renewed their license but from what I'm reading on the net that's still 2017 and activision has already pulled some of their marvel games from digital stores within the past year. As for mau 1 didn't the gold version of the game come with the dlc pre- packaged?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By hatking

That story sounds like bullshit, but the game is somewhat rare. It's just one of those weird things that cause the price of a somewhat mundane, recent game to be driven way up. There are a handful of games from that generation that are like that. It is the biggest problem that digital is solving, I think. Unfortunately, I don't believe that game is available digitally.

Edit: Also, as a former GameStop employee, I remember a lot of people at those stores who would love to fabricate stories like that because they wanted to seem like they were in the know. This came from both customers and other employees. The truth is, GameStop employees are no closer to the inside information of game development than parking enforcement is to the NSA.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@yummylee: Haven't check but back in 2010 they pulled the dlc when their license with marvel ran out. I think they might of re-upped them when they renewed their license but from what I'm reading on the net that's still 2017 and activision has already pulled some of their marvel games from digital stores within the past year. As for mau 1 didn't the gold version of the game come with the dlc pre- packaged?

It did but the gold version was never released in European territories >=/

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

As a person who had to recently replace his copy of that game after my original version got scratched up in the 360 disc tray. 30 bucks is a fair price since it's also the price I paid for a used copy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.