Advice for a newbie?

#1 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -

Received the game the other day and have played through the arcade mode, a couple of missions, and a few online matches but I still feel like there's something not quite right (almost like I'm missing something in the way that I play.) Is there any advice you could give to me as to where I should start and consitently practice?

#2 Posted by StarvingGamer (7899 posts) -
In general I'd say first find a team that feels good and learn some combos/mixups/synergies by looking up stuff online or asking around. Then take that team online and get your ass kicked numerous times and after each loss, really take a moment to think about what happened. Focus on what the opponent was doing right then figure out what you can do to stop that. 

Or find someone who will kick your ass repeatedly and provide feedback.
#3 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:
"Or find someone who will kick your ass repeatedly and provide feedback."

Oh believe me, I've already got one of those! Thank you for the advice.
#4 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
#5 Posted by Flya (3 posts) -

I'd say just do some of the missions in mission mode, and get a feel for the way you link moves together.  Aside from that, check out trag13 on youtube and watch some of his combo vids then head into training mode and master whichever ones you'd like.  Good luck!

#6 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
" @FlamingHobo: This. 
"
lol a strategy guide for a fighting game. I say there are some pretty good tutorial videos on youtube that he should check out instead of spending 15$ on a game guide that pretty much tells you the same stuff as the manual
#7 Posted by Damodar (1283 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

" @iDarktread said:

" @FlamingHobo: This. 
"
lol a strategy guide for a fighting game. I say there are some pretty good tutorial videos on youtube that he should check out instead of spending 15$ on a game guide that pretty much tells you the same stuff as the manual "
Except that guide is like 400 pages long and filled with some really amazing info. 

I would actually recommend watching some of these perhaps. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8q5oJQgzas  

They're really fun videos to watch, but there are heaps of things to be learned from watching them as well. 

'There you go, Gootecks!' 
#8 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Yanngc33: You are so, so wrong about the guide, however watching videos is obviously a must, regardless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.