Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Capcom please make the matchmaking fair

Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deadmeat

Why do you think games like this only end up with the hardcore, because anyone who isn't very good gets matched against people way out of there skill range. Why can't a company pull a Starcraft 2 and stick the newbies with the newbies, and the advanced with the advanced. 

Sure there is a "same" ranking setting for ranked games. Though at 15-42 I get matched against guys who have over 400 matches, I just played someone who was 365-38!! It's not even fun getting juggled non stop and having no idea what's going on. The player matches can be a little more even, but even then there is no telling who you get. I set up a "Beginners Only" room for 8 people, then some guy with like 500 wins comes in an schools all of us over and over, not very fun!

For those who will say "Go learn to play" or "Losing is how you learn"... Sure maybe to some extent, but why can't it match us against similar skilled players only. Not everyone has time to sit in training missions. I just want to hop on an enjoy a few fights that are close. I don't mind losing, but losing when you have no chance is not very fun. 

Maybe I'm wrong, this is my first online fighting game. I really really want to keep the game and love it, but for now I'm mostly playing against the CPU since the matching isn't good enough. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Find someone who is also new to play with. When you do use match making take note of how your opponent played differently than you and, more importantly, mistakes you made and areas you could improve in. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Deadmeat said:

" For those who will say "Go learn to play" or "Losing is how you learn"... Sure maybe to some extent, but why can't it match us against similar skilled players only. Not everyone has time to sit in training missions. I just want to hop on an enjoy a few fights that are close. I don't mind losing, but losing when you have no chance is not very fun. "

Those people are idiots. The matchmaking, at least for the "same rank" option, should match players with those of there level. Nothing more should be said and I'm not sure why anyone would disagree to that. 

I'm at least a high enough rank that I can only be matched with those who are close to my rank (which makes for another problem since it can take a while for me to find any match and, when I do, it's often with the same people), but I always felt bad in the past when I was a 6th Lord or something and I was being matched with Fighters. The fact that I have a 70% win rate and the fact that many have below 50% obviously show how flawed Capcom's matching system is. 

But really, the best thing to do in this case is to find other people you know, who are of your skill level, to play with. I'm not sure fighting games will ever be able to match players together appropriately, at least not anytime soon.
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Alex_Murphy
    @Deadmeat said:
    "this is my first online fighting game. I really really want to keep the game and love it, but for now I'm mostly playing against the CPU since the matching isn't good enough.  "
    Well, the game is one of the least friendly fighters to newcomers. You might do good to learn one pop-up combo that ends in an ultra and just spam that over and over. You also might want to pick up SSF4 since it has an easier learning curve, and some of the basic stuff will transfer over to marvel.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

If you're looking for noob matches, there are alot of us on this site. 

Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Deadmeat
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " Find someone who is also new to play with. When you do use match making take note of how your opponent played differently than you and, more importantly, mistakes you made and areas you could improve in.  "
    I understand but I just want to have a good time and not really think on how to improve to much. I don't care if I don't get better, just want to have fun. I'm not a fighting game fan in general Honestly MvC2 and the Mortal Kombat series are the only games I really liked prior to this. 

I just realized the random player match (not rooms) allows you to rematch. Seems like a good way to keep playing against someone who you had a close fight with.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Alex_Murphy said:
    " @Deadmeat said:
    "this is my first online fighting game. I really really want to keep the game and love it, but for now I'm mostly playing against the CPU since the matching isn't good enough.  "
    Well, the game is one of the least friendly fighters to newcomers. You might do good to learn one pop-up combo that ends in an ultra and just spam that over and over. You also might want to pick up SSF4 since it has an easier learning curve, and some of the basic stuff will transfer over to marvel. "
    SSF4 is actually harder to get into since you actually have to learn the combos in training mode. MVC3 has the magic, hit A, B, C, D and repeat. Sure anybody that is the least bit serious about it would say that combo sucks compared to individual character's BnB, but at least the new comer has a universal combo for all characters and with the high damage overall in the game, they do have a chance still.  

To the OP: I think the main misconception you have is the fact that its only fun if the matches are close. The damage system is very high even if you just do the magic A, B, C , D repeat and end with super. Because its so easy to do damage, you aren't going to get as close matches as you would say in SSF4 where its a lot more technical and slower paced. 
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm
    @Alex_Murphy said:
    " You also might want to pick up SSF4 since it has an easier learning curve, and some of the basic stuff will transfer over to marvel. "
    This is the absolute worst advice ever. Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter IV honestly couldn't be more different.
    Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deadmeat

What is A,B,C,D combo and how do you end with a super? The only combo's I can do well are the air juggle that you switch out through all the characters. 

It's harder to play against people with sticks too, I'd say 25% of the time a quarter circle move doesn't work because of the d-pad sucking :(

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By TechHits

the reason that you get matched with people better than you is because that was the person closest to your ranking available at that time. The more players there are the more  accurate the match making.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Deadmeat said:
    " Why do you think games like this only end up with the hardcore, because anyone who isn't very good gets matched against people way out of there skill range. Why can't a company pull a Starcraft 2 and stick the newbies with the newbies, and the advanced with the advanced."
    Whenever someone complained about online skill discrepancies in MvC3, I always thought "why can't they use a Starcraft-like system so time played isn't the only factor in determining how "skilled" you are?" Full disclosure: I have never played Starcraft 2, but from what I understand it matches you with similarly skilled players based on your win/loss record, and that seems like a totally sensible and innovative way to judge player skill that I can get behind more developers using.
    Rek503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rek503
    @Deadmeat:  There are a couple of beginner guides for MVC3 on youtube. Breaks it down quite well, and it's pretty easy to understand. I'd link them, but my work computer has youtube blocked. Just google "marvel vs capcom 3 beginner guide." 

If you like using the d-pad I'd give a fightpad a try. My friends that use controllers for fighting games really recommend this
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Yanngc33

I know your not gonna like this but losing IS learning. I've been losing for a month and last weekend, out of the blue I started winning. It feels good and is worth the wait

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By animateria

I stopped doing ranked matches and keep myself on rookie. 

I'm currently only playing player matches but going back to ranked once I get some confidence. 

That said, I generally always win, even if it's by a hair. I should probably rank up another level.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RsistncE

I made an entire thread about this. Capcom basically is fucking terrible at making online components for games and their matchmaking is complete and utter shit. They should just give up entirely and get a company like Blizzard to put together their matchmaking because they know what they're doing.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tunaburn

dude i agree. i quit playing this game because the matchmaking sucks. i hate getting paired against people that obviously play this game nonstop or have some insane talent for fighting games ill never have. i just want to play against people my level but the "same" skill setting doesnt work for shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

well most people should just train before heading straight online. I didnt enter online for 3 days after i got the game, just trained BnB combos and so on. 

i have 89% win streak and have only lost twice on ranked. i think my best streak was 60+ wins.. 

Nothing is more awesome than getting paired up with a 5-4th lord, and then mopping the floor with him. but yeah the system is broken. 

@FluxWaveZ:
     we should play

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CaptainCody

I haven't played too much online but im 10-11 right now, would be higher but dem rage quitters. Regardless, you're just bad at the game.
    Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

Sometimes there's not a whole lot of people online to choose from.  If the game isn't fun (even when you're losing), then chances are good that it's a bad game.  Maybe a different game is the way to go?

Gigaspine7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Gigaspine7

I think the problem is more or less the fact that you can't tell who's actually new to the games and who's been playing them since the start.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.