Frank West cut, Phoenix Wright a possibility

#1 Posted by Pessh (2451 posts) -

We've known about Frank getting cut for a while, just been officially confirmed

"As for Frank West, he was actually in the process quite deep, and in one of our high quality CG trailers he was actually part of it," Niitsuma told VideoGamer.com at the end of last week. "But we've taken him out, due to the fact that we've foreseen some extra work involved, just from the nature of his moves. We felt we could direct our resources to better use, so we've taken Frank out."

And they're thinking about Phoenix Wright  

"Phoenix Wright is obviously a famous franchise - especially in Europe, actually. It would be interesting to see him, although he distinctively lacks the number of moves he might have [in a fighting game]. But if Marvel vs. Capcom 3 does well, he's definitely up on the list as one of the characters to add, given the chance."

#2 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

AKA: DLC characters.

#3 Posted by Kiemoe (1053 posts) -

yeah, probably dlc. that's pretty gay.

#4 Posted by Pessh (2451 posts) -

They've already said they'll be DLC characters, just Jill and Shuma Gorath so far though.

#5 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I would love to see Phoenix Wright make it in, doesn't matter if it's DLC or not.

#6 Posted by Killroycantkill (1361 posts) -

I'd be happy with Phoenix or  Franziska von Karma.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (22752 posts) -

It's funny that they'd say that about Frank, given that they already put him in TvC.  If anything, I'd have expected him to be easy to put in the game.  Just start with his TvC moves and go from there.

#8 Posted by Montaq (15 posts) -

Hopefully Frank is DLC. Since they already started work on him, and there is no deadline, it would make sense for them to finish him. I really want him to be in this game. Also, yea Phoenix.
#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9792 posts) -

FRANK! NO!  

Well, maybe it'll at least be cheap DLC. 

#10 Posted by Mesoian (1570 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
" AKA: DLC characters. "
Exactly
#11 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -

If Phoenix Wright is in this, I will buy it.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9792 posts) -
@Hailinel: That's exactly what I thought, but this is running a different engine, and apparently some of his moves involved summoning more zombies than the engine could handle.  

And honestly, I think that summoning zombies is the last thing Frank would do, but that's just me. 
#13 Posted by FUN (178 posts) -

I would not be surprised if Phoenix Wright is never DLC, but gets in the next TvC game.

#14 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4044 posts) -

Am I the only one who doesn't get the 'big deal' about these characters? I see people begging and screaming for them, but I just don't get it or care.

But to each his own I guess. After all, I'm the dude picketing and rioting for more Darkstalkers.

#15 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" If Phoenix Wright is in this, I will buy it. "
Why the hell wouldn't you buy this anyway? 

I still think having him as a playable character is dumb. He isn't even visible on screen for the majority of the Ace Attorney games, so the idea of seeing him punch the shit out of the Hulk is just absurd. And not 'absurd' in the good way. The man isn't a fighter or an action hero. He's just a laywer. 

That being said, I would love to see a Wright-themed courtroom stage.
#16 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

I dont care just give me them just do it as fast as you can capcom. PLEASE!

#17 Posted by Pessh (2451 posts) -
@PrimeSynergy: Yeah, don't get the fuss, seems to be coming from the casuals anyway. Hoping this will shut them up.

Waaaaaaaaaaaah she hulk
#18 Posted by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -

Wasn't Frank in Tatsunoku vs. Capcom, though? Can't they just use the same moves?

#19 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

Both chars would be lame is a crazy fighting game like MvC3

#20 Edited by Pessh (2451 posts) -
@MistaSparkle: He was pretty weak in TvC, had to make changes anyway as its a completely different engine, then they made him too nuts, like so many zombies on the screen it broke the game so they just gave up.

@Jeffsekai said:
" Both chars would be lame is a crazy fighting game like MvC3 "

Yeah was watching some Frank West from TvC earlier to see what he was like, all he does is punch and throw zombies at people.
#21 Posted by Chaser324 (5988 posts) -
@Killroycantkill: 
Franziska von Karma (or maybe even her father) might actually make way better fighting game entries than other Ace Attorney characters like Phoenix or Miles.
#22 Posted by lord_canti (1489 posts) -

i think the phoenix Wright thing might be sarcastic as didn't ether 2 or 3 sell terribly to the point where they were not  sure whether they were bringing the rest here. but i do remember hearing somewhere that he was meant to be in TvC but his special move was too powerful (the "objection") as it took up too much of the screen in English but was fine in Japanese 

#23 Posted by carlthenimrod (1579 posts) -

The world needs Frank West.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (22752 posts) -
@Pessh said:
" @MistaSparkle: He was pretty weak in TvC, had to make changes anyway as its a completely different engine, then they made him too nuts, like so many zombies on the screen it broke the game so they just gave up.

@Jeffsekai said:
" Both chars would be lame is a crazy fighting game like MvC3 "
Yeah was watching some Frank West from TvC earlier to see what he was like, all he does is punch and throw zombies at people. "
Did you not see Frank's Real Mega Buster?
#25 Posted by jNerd (2008 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
" AKA: DLC characters. "
Exactly what I was thinking.
#26 Posted by TooWalrus (12989 posts) -

Too bad, Frank West is way better.

#27 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I would pay any amount of money to have Phoenix Wright in my fighting game. 
#28 Posted by phantomzxro (1532 posts) -

I would love Phoenix Wright as DLC and it sucks they cut frank but I would guess that makes it a sure bet he will show up as DLC later down the line with most of its stuff is done.
#29 Posted by StarvingGamer (7582 posts) -

As a huge fan of the Ace Attorney series I only have this to say:

Phoenix Wright would make NO SENSE and be a mediocre addition at BEST to the MvC3 lineup.

#30 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Phoenix Wright will point at you and shout "Take that!" until you pass out.

You've been warned.

#31 Posted by SamFo (1512 posts) -

Chuck Greene :D
#32 Posted by Fortenium (102 posts) -
@Hailinel:  Not to mention the shopping carts, baseball bats, and crazy throws. >_>

Phoenix Wright does have potential, but I doubt Capcom would add him in this game. Even as downloadable content or whatever.
#33 Posted by MikeFightNight (1052 posts) -
@PrimeSynergy said:
"Am I the only one who doesn't get the 'big deal' about these characters? I see people begging and screaming for them, but I just don't get it or care.  But to each his own I guess. After all, I'm the dude picketing and rioting for more Darkstalkers. "

Yes more Darkstalkers I say! 

or just give them their own game, that would be cool too.
#34 Posted by DonChipotle (2659 posts) -

The game doesn't really need two lawyers now does it?

#35 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -

Fuuuuuuuuckin Capcom.Frank West was the only character I was looking forward too.Everybody else looks generic and bland.Taskmaster looks a little cool though.Besides FW is so iconic for Capcom, why?You know what he was probably too intense for MVC3.He should be 360 exclusive for Mortal Kombat.One of his fatalities could be where he rips your intestines out and snap your head off, and top it with him shooting a photo and going "NIIICE" 500PP GORY.True to DR.

#36 Posted by Lilarcor (206 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:  I kind of agree, that's why I hope if they do a Dead Rising character it'll be Chuck because I think the combo weapon system from DR2 would give Capcom more interesting moves to work with when making him into a fighting game character.
#37 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" I would love to see Phoenix Wright make it in, doesn't matter if it's DLC or not. "
It doesn't make a difference if he'll make it or not! We got each other, and that's a lot! For loooovvvveeee. 
WE'LL GIVE IT A SHOT!

OHHHHHHHH! We're halfway there!

OHHHH-OHHHHHHH!! LIVIN' ON A PRAYER!

#38 Posted by StarvingGamer (7582 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero: Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Whoa oh, livin' on a prayer!
#39 Posted by Protag_B4P (32 posts) -

Frank would have been so awesome. He's covered wars, you know.

#40 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

I would pay 5 bajillion dollars for Phoenix Wright in MvC3.  
I hope he makes it into the game. 

#41 Posted by Ichorid4 (90 posts) -

For fan service alone, I don't know why Phoenix wasn't considered more seriously. MvC2 had a lot more non-combat just for fun characters- why can't MvC3 afford a few?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.