Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Is it possible to fight against people my skill level in ranked?

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iDarktread

Basically, I'm starting to get frustrated at ranked matches since I can't seem to get matched up with decent beginners like myself anymore, and I'm only 10 games in. Will frustration levels decrease once I get a little better and can deal with this annoyance, or will the problem possibly subside entirely once I rank up? Maybe this is just how the ranked portion of online works for beginners like myself.

Here's a boring story:

Having only had the game online for a few days now, mostly playing Ammy, Doom, and Phoenix, I decided to try out some ranked matchmaking. I won 9 games without a loss at first, which felt deserving after my hours in mission mode, however it felt almost too easy. Unfortunately, soon thereafter, I got matched up with someone with 900 games played, ranked a 9th Lord; a rank that apparently comes right after Fighter, which I was and still am on. I lost to ridiculously long Dante combos almost immediately, which was obviously frustrating since I still cannot block all that well yet. I was searching for same location, skill and English, to try and be lag-free, with connections being fairly good so far, but still got someone with 900 ranked matches against my very, very low amount of games

Anyways, I searched again with the same settings and got thrown into a game with unbearable lag, which I believe I won with one pixel of health left. I really dislike lag; especially unavoidable lag as I searched with the ideal settings. 

After that stupid, laggy game, I mistakenly searched once again, only to be matched up with the troublesome 900 matches dude. I lost, again. I know I'm not very good at the game yet, but still, it seems unfair that ranked doesn't seem to take number of played games into consideration, and it seems like an important thing in a fighting game, and definitely helpful for beginners. 

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By scarace360

No

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iDarktread
    @scarace360: :(
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By scarace360
    @iDarktread said:
    " @scarace360: :( "
    Pro tip: play with more skill and stay in the lab.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iDarktread
    @scarace360 said:
    " @iDarktread said:
    " @scarace360: :( "
    Pro tip: play with more skill and stay in the lab. "
    I will.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By craigbo180

Yeah that's unfortunate. It could be worse though you're doing a lot better than me dude. Its not so bad to have a few insanely good opponents here and there it might help you get better and improve your blocking as you said that was one of your flaws. If you just won all the time you wouldn't ever get better.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scarace360
    @craigbo180 said:
    " Yeah that's unfortunate. It could be worse though you're doing a lot better than me dude. Its not so bad to have a few insanely good opponents here and there it might help you get better and improve your blocking as you said that was one of your flaws. If you just won all the time you wouldn't ever get better. "
    See you get it.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @scarace360 said:
    " No "
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Not unless you're a high enough ranked player, I suppose. Matchmaking's busted.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar

Imagine how those nine people you beat in the beginning feel. 

markem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By markem

I was having problems even getting A match let alone being beat up. I started doing custom ranked, then constantly got matches, they're all above me,  but I have found a few good low number players. It's all about finding a peak time, and playing ranked only during that time. I haven't yet, and am 57-7 :(.

Chaossebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By Chaossebba

Yeah, the matchmaking is somewhat busted, I myself have around 650 matches online (Yay, 5th lord), and it still sometimes matches me against people with like 30. 

Somewhat troubling me is that now that I'm used to some higher level play, beginners with like 20 matches who'se timing is usually way off on attacks end up catching me off-guard alot more |:C

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McGhee

Everything about online in this game is busted. It's a real shame.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tunaburn

this is why i traded it in towards mortal kombat 9. hopefully that turns out better. of course ill be playing the gears of war 3 beta for the first few weeks instead of playing mortal kombat so im really hoping that it lets me fight people my skill when i get into it.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I have it the exact opposite way, I can't stop fighting way lower ranked people than me. I played about nine matches today, two of which were with people with a similar record, and the other ones were way worse. There was even a guy who was something like 59-400something, I got to play him twice!

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Yanngc33

I never win in ranked. Practise is the key but even that may not be enough

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.