Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Justin Wong issued yellow card for EVO

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By benpack

According to the governing board for EVO, Justin Wong "underperformed" against Noel Brown in the losers final of a road to EVO tournament. Basically if he gets another yellow card he's suspended and can't play at EVO.

By the under performing is obvious if you watch the video, he has Phoenix on point. I personally can't stand Noel Brown ever since he punched that dude, so I say Justin got what he deserved.

You can read the whole story here.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

I think this whole thing is dumb as hell.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By scarace360

Good fuck em now everyone else will get farther.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

He was probably in trouble with internet hacker gangs and had to throw the match.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By smitty86

Yeah, I read this earlier and thought it made sense given the standard that Evo wants to hold itself up to. I can somewhat understand the Phoenix  on point barely even though it is a terrible choice since some people have done it before. But to me, it was when he was using Skrull and had zero idea of how to do the moves. Still though, what was worse, Justin throwing this match and playing a part in trying to get the brackets changed or the work of Noel "hey let's change the rules and make loser's finals 3/5" Brown?

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By benpack
    @smitty86 said:
    " Noel "hey let's change the rules and make loser's finals 3/5" Brown? "
    Yeah that was real shitty, but there's no EVO points awarded for team tournies. Also I guess the rules had officially stated that it was 3/5, even though they both verbally agreed to 2/3.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Skytylz said:
    " He was probably in trouble with internet hacker gangs and had to throw the match. "
    That would be terrific. Bad for him, but you know.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By WickedCestus

I read the story, and the comments, and have concluded that this is kind of really retarded. He has the right t pick stupid characters and deploy stupid strategies all he likes, that's just part of the game. If everyone just kept playing exactly the same why would anyone watch?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SlightConfuse

but he won the match with Phoenix on point(the first one anyway), he was trolling the hell out of Noel, but i can see why they gave the punishment out

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64

I seen that and was like "What the fuck is this guy doing?"

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Justin is a fat cry baby anyway.

He QQs like a bitch and there are dozens and dozens of players better than him.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That is intresting. I wish I watched the MVC3 tourney now.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By demontium

What?

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By fullmetal5550

Why exactly did he punch that guy? Also, the judges or whoever enforces the rules there should have banned him from the tournament for punching that guy.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @fullmetal5550 said:
    " Why exactly did he punch that guy? Also, the judges or whoever enforces the rules there should have banned him from the tournament for punching that guy. "
    He's Justin, normally attacking someone is automatic Red card...but Justin brings in money, so they need him in EVO.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @KaosAngel said:

" @fullmetal5550 said:

" Why exactly did he punch that guy? Also, the judges or whoever enforces the rules there should have banned him from the tournament for punching that guy. "

He's Justin, normally attacking someone is automatic Red card...but Justin brings in money, so they need him in EVO. "
    Justin didn't punch anyone...

Also, according to whatever it was I just watched. I think it was called Cross Fire, some dude picked up Noel's stuff he had taken out of his pockets (edit for clarity: Noel empties his pockets before playing to be more comfortable) and thrown them on the ground after Noel had lost his first match. Noel then went on to tell him that he did not want anything to do with him for the rest of the tournament because, being fine with trash talk, he was not okay with him throwing his stuff. Dude did not leave Noel alone, Noel punch him in his face.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Justin is a fat cry baby anyway.He QQs like a bitch and there are dozens and dozens of players better than him. "
    @Sasran said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

" @fullmetal5550 said:

He's Justin, normally attacking someone is automatic Red card...but Justin brings in money, so they need him in EVO. "
    Justin didn't punch anyone...Also, according to whatever it was I just watched. I think it was called Cross Fire, some dude picked up Noel's stuff he had taken out of his pockets (edit for clarity: Noel empties his pockets before playing to be more comfortable) and thrown them on the ground after Noel had lost his first match. Noel then went on to tell him that he did not want anything to do with him for the rest of the tournament because, being fine with trash talk, he was not okay with him throwing his stuff. Dude did not leave Noel alone, Noel punch him in his face. "
    I don't think you know who justin, Noel or any of these guys are. Justin is a pretty stand up guy that had played a predetermined team of super low tier units one week just because somebody bet him he couldn't win with that team. When the going got tough and Justin was one game away from being eliminated, he could have switched to a winning team that he knew, but rather took the lost since he knows he doesn't always have to proove himself like he did when he was younger. The amount of players better then him at MVC3 is probably less then 5. In fact, the usual East Coast vs West Coast rivalry always have each coast either trying to claim Justin for their coast, or just saying he's not allowed to be on either team, just so its more even. 

Noel Brown as Sasran said was the guy that got into a fight a couple weeks ago and it was with another guy not Justin. AND the fight and the low tier Justin Team wasn't even the same tournament as the one that Justin so called threw the match to Noel. 

Personally, I thought Justin was just trolling and didn't care that much since he probably did the math and found out if he can at least get past a certain rank in each evo qualifier, he would be ranked number one still come EVO even if he didn't always get first place. Kinda like a great fighter clearly winning on points for the first 60% of the match then just stopped attacking as hard for the rest of the match because he knows he already won. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @supermike6 It wasn't just picking stupid characters, later when he switched to his real team he started being really obvious about losing on purpose. He dropped more combos over 3 matches with his mains than he has across every tournament for the past 2 months combined. That and he apparently also forgot how to block for the remainder of the set. It's painfully obvious if you watch the replay.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Justin is a fat cry baby anyway.He QQs like a bitch and there are dozens and dozens of players better than him. "
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAH, oh boy.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Now it's a real sport!

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I think I know how people feel when they stumble into a thread about professional StarCraft now. 

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper
    @KaosAngel said:
    Incorrect.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By craigbo180

This has to be one of the lamest things ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Edit: Totally came across as a massive dick. Apologies.

@KaosAngel said:

" @fullmetal5550 said:

It wasn't Justin that punched anyone, man. Noel Brown went crazy on some guy in crutches a few weeks ago (a decent player, but I forget who). 

The whole thing with 'cards', as far as I know, has never been a 'thing' before, and makes no sense as far as I'm concerned. Why dock someone for playing exactly how they want? He didn't cheat and/or lose his EVO place, so why would they warn him?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By FLStyle
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @fullmetal5550 said:
    Someone doesn't watch the streams haha
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By OneManX

I guess you can say.... Justin got taken... for a ride

*puts on shades*

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Slaker117

As someone who just recently started to pay attention to the fighting game community, what exactly is going on? Justin (I get who that is, top player dude) gets penalized because he didn't play well? Am I understanding that right? Shouldn't not playing well be it's own punishment?

Also, why did that Noel Brown guy start attacking that other guy? That's not actually related though, right? Kaos is just being disruptive as always.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shadow

Wow. This is all really, really stupid.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By daavpuke

This is the dumbest thing I read all week and I read some stupid stuff. So, that dude can't play how he wants to?

Also, that one dude is taunting this Noel person and everyone seems surprised he gets a slap? Seems like the expectable thing to do. Talk shit, get hit.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gosukiller
    @OneManX said:

" I guess you can say.... Justin got taken... for a ride
    *puts on shades*

"

You deserve this one.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scarace360

I can completely understnad why they did this. Its basically throwing a match. O and noel Brown beat up smooth viper.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By benpack
    @Slaker117 said:
    " As someone who just recently started to pay attention to the fighting game community, what exactly is going on? Justin (I get who that is, top player dude) gets penalized because he didn't play well? Am I understanding that right? Shouldn't not playing well be it's own punishment?Also, why did that Noel Brown guy start attacking that other guy? That's not actually related though, right? Kaos is just being disruptive as always. "
    So the tl;dr is this:
    There is a series of tournaments leading up to EVO (the biggest of them all). In these tournaments if you win, you win EVO points, which basically mean you get to skip the first few rounds and don't have to play some of the random crowd, basically rewarding them for being constant participants rather than just coming out for EVO. Justin already has a billion EVO points for doing well in the past few tournies, so he lost so that his friend (Noel Brown) could win some of those EVO points.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wickedsc3
    Seems like a clear case of him throwing the match for his friend.  He deserved to get a yellow.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Slaker117
    @GlenTennis: Thanks, that makes much more sense.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

Oh, man did Walter Day issue the card in his arcade game referee's outfit? I really hope so.

No Caption Provided

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mnzy

I remember him entering tournaments with Dan. And winning them. I don't know, seems a little shady. If they are sure about it just by watching the dropped combos and stuff, then ok, but just by characters - not ok.
    Also, he is training hard for that MK tournament, so he probably doesn't care that much about mvc3 atm.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Getz

Man, that article was sloppy as hell. I guess when you devote your life to fighting games you can't be arsed to proof-read.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#38  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @mnzy Yeah the key difference with picking Dan is he actually knew how to use the character and had some good setups and combos in his pocket. He was definitely playing to win.

VS. Noel he picked characters he obviously had no idea how to use then switched to his real team and magically forgot how to do BnBs and block.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Justin trying to be Kuroda but fails.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By JJOR64

Thought I would share this in this thread since it pertains to JWong.

Competitive gaming show Live on Three, after a three-month hiatus, will be making a return beginning at 7PM EST tonight with Marcus "djWHEAT" Graham and Scott "SirScoots" Smith of Evil Geniuses. The show will be under a new banner this go-around, with the show now airing on OneMoreGame.tv, a new weekly broadcast network from the minds of djWHEAT and SirScoots.

Tonight's show will kick off with discussion on the game of the moment, Mortal Kombat. The guys will have special guests Tom Brady and the one and only MarkMan on to discuss whether or not Mortal Kombat has the capability of securing a long-term spot in the competitive fighting gaming scene.

Additionally, Justin Wong and EG team manager SirScoots will address the "controversy" that arose from the recent PowerUp tourney. If you're curious to hear more about what happened, be sure to tune in at 7PM EST on http://www.justin.tv/OneMoreGameTV.

If you can't catch it when it airs live, VODs will be available at this link.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By demontium

It was an tournament independent of EVO (even though its in association with EVO)vand therefore should not have severed Wong from his placement points. And who's to say Wong isn't allowed to forfeit his position?

RuisuX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RuisuX

The point is, they were playing for higher placement in the EVO bracket. Speculation is that Justin knew he he was in a high enough spot (points awarded from previous tournaments) to skip a bunch of randoms so he was planning to throw the match for Noel Brown to also get more points.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BBQBram
    @OneManX said:
    " I guess you can say.... Justin got taken... for a ride

*puts on shades*

"
    And for this, my good man, I applaud you.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel
    @demontium said:
    " It was an tournament independent of EVO (even though its in association with EVO)vand therefore should not have severed Wong from his placement points. And who's to say Wong isn't allowed to forfeit his position? "
    It's no different than in athletics.  If Justin were, say, an Olympic sprinter, and he decided to throw a match so that his buddy racing against him could win, that could lead to serious repercussions from the sport's governing body.  If you're not in a competition to compete seriously, you're just taking up space.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.