Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 Roster thoughts

Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

As with some people, I've been following MvsC3's roster updates, videos, etc.  I have some thoughts on it, who they should add/delete, etc.

Marvel Side:
1.  Captain America -- Should be fine, he was fine in the previous games.  Hope they can give him a better chance if he looses his shield though.
2.  Deadpool -- might be ok.  The "him beating people with a life-bar" thing is cute.  Hope he breaks the 4th  wall a lot.
3.  Doctor Doom -- looks exactly like previous versions.  "Eh" comes to mind.
4.  Dormammu --"Uh, ok".  His fire-rain thing looks cheap.  Also, he basically is like Mephisto from MvsC2.
5.  Hulk -- Never really liked him, but he looks exactly the same.  I hope his 360 grapple thing has less priority this time around.
6.  Iron Man -- Same, NEXT!
7.  Magneto -- Looks the same.  Although I hope his force-field thing is useful this time around.
8.  MODOK -- Dude, it's MODOK.  If you can have 3 of the same characters on your team, I know who Ryan Davis is choosing.
9.  Phoenix --  Her homing bird attack might be ok.  Zero other thoughts.
10.  She-Hulk -- I like that she's more of an acrobatic grappler, and not just straight power-house.
11.  Spider-Man -- I hope his super web-throw combo works a little better.
12.  Storm --  Should be fine, if she has better supers. 
13.  Super Skrull -- Good compromise to the Fantastic 4 issue.  Might be cheap, but who knows?
14.  Thor -- looked a BIT cheap, but should be interesting.
15.  X-23 -- who cares?  They already have Wolverine.
16.  Wolverine -- You only need one.  Not 3 of them.  Least it's not "Bone-claw" Wolverine.

Characters they need:
 1.  Cyclops  -- Always used him in the prior ones.  He's basically the Ryu of the game.
2.  Ice-Man -- Needs more supers, but his freeze-ray, insta-freeze throw were fun.
3.  Gambit  -- Again, needs more supers, but I LOVED how he played, and routinely beat the shit out of people with him.
4.  Venom (or Anti-Venom as he's now known) -- Would be a good counter to Spider-Man 
5.  Shatterstar  -- Would be a TON of fun, and a good analog of Deadpool.

Characters they don't need:
1.  Cable --  everyone knows why
2.  Sentinel -- again, everyone knows  why
3.  Rogue -- she was cool in X-Men vs. Street Fighter when she actually copied powers.  In MvsC2 they nerfed her, only letting her get boosts from people.  LAME!  If they brought her back, they'd probably just do the same thing.
4.  X-23  --  Having two Wolverine is dumb.
5.  Not entirely sold on Phoenix, but we'll wait and see.

---------------------

Capccom side:
1.  Amaterasu -- the height thing might be an issue, but they'll work around it.  Looks ok.
2.  Arthur -- Digging far back in the well.  I like the exploding armor thing fine.
3.  Chris  --  Everyone loves a Resident Evil character....that's why this game has 3.  
4.  Chun-Li -- Same as before
5.  C. Viper -- Hopefully she'll have a projectile in the game, or else she's gonna be boned.  Needs another super.
6.  Dante --  Looks VERY cheap.  Also, it'd be funny if they re-style him as the new Dante, to piss all the fanboys off.
7.  Felicia --  Hopefully they fix some of her weakness's (such as being a shite character)
8.  Mike Haggar --  I know who Jeff is gonna play as.  As long as he's not a "360-rotate the control stick" grappler like Zangief, he should be fine.
9.  Morrigan -- Looks the same as before
10.  Ryu -- It's Ryu.  Come on, how much could they change about him?
11.  Spencer -- Needs to say "COME OVER HERE" when he uses his arm.  About it.
12.  Trish -- I had no idea who this was before I looked her up.  Not a great sign.
13.  Tronne -- Yeah, it's Tronne.  Hope she has a better attack than her one in MvsC2.   (The dash-drill thing)
14.  Viewtiful Joe -- Looks kind of broken, and I'm not sure why.  Just doesn't look fun.
15.  Wesker -- Might be interesting, but also a bit cheap like Dante.
16.  Zero -- His double-Super might be fun.  Not much else to say.

Characters they need:
 1.  Captain Commando -- His goddamn name says it all.  Plus his anti-air special was great to annoy people with.
2.  Strider -- He's been in all of them before.  His attacks kind of suck, but he's fun to watch.
3.  Mega Man -- If you have Zero, why no Mega?
4.  Servbot -- just because it'd be funny

1.  Trish -- Looks very cheap, and very ancillary to the games she's in
2.   Chris or Wesker.  You already have Jill (DLC and Special Edition unlock)  Do you need 3 RE characters?
3.  C. Viper -- There's a few people in Street Fighter's roster that are a bit more fun (Ken, Gouken, Cammy)
4.  Viewtiful Joe -- Dunno why, but he looks boring.  Maybe it's the bombs?
5.  Felicia (maybe) -- Felicia depends on whether or not they can fix her.  If they can, cool.  If not, dump her.

----------------------

I also know a few characters are rumored/DLC.  Chief among them, Shuma-Gorath, Jill Valentine, Akuma, and a few more.  Jill and Akuma were fine, but Shuma sucked balls, a needs better attacks to do anything useful.  I'll update this when more people are announced, or things change.

#1 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

As with some people, I've been following MvsC3's roster updates, videos, etc.  I have some thoughts on it, who they should add/delete, etc.

Marvel Side:
1.  Captain America -- Should be fine, he was fine in the previous games.  Hope they can give him a better chance if he looses his shield though.
2.  Deadpool -- might be ok.  The "him beating people with a life-bar" thing is cute.  Hope he breaks the 4th  wall a lot.
3.  Doctor Doom -- looks exactly like previous versions.  "Eh" comes to mind.
4.  Dormammu --"Uh, ok".  His fire-rain thing looks cheap.  Also, he basically is like Mephisto from MvsC2.
5.  Hulk -- Never really liked him, but he looks exactly the same.  I hope his 360 grapple thing has less priority this time around.
6.  Iron Man -- Same, NEXT!
7.  Magneto -- Looks the same.  Although I hope his force-field thing is useful this time around.
8.  MODOK -- Dude, it's MODOK.  If you can have 3 of the same characters on your team, I know who Ryan Davis is choosing.
9.  Phoenix --  Her homing bird attack might be ok.  Zero other thoughts.
10.  She-Hulk -- I like that she's more of an acrobatic grappler, and not just straight power-house.
11.  Spider-Man -- I hope his super web-throw combo works a little better.
12.  Storm --  Should be fine, if she has better supers. 
13.  Super Skrull -- Good compromise to the Fantastic 4 issue.  Might be cheap, but who knows?
14.  Thor -- looked a BIT cheap, but should be interesting.
15.  X-23 -- who cares?  They already have Wolverine.
16.  Wolverine -- You only need one.  Not 3 of them.  Least it's not "Bone-claw" Wolverine.

Characters they need:
 1.  Cyclops  -- Always used him in the prior ones.  He's basically the Ryu of the game.
2.  Ice-Man -- Needs more supers, but his freeze-ray, insta-freeze throw were fun.
3.  Gambit  -- Again, needs more supers, but I LOVED how he played, and routinely beat the shit out of people with him.
4.  Venom (or Anti-Venom as he's now known) -- Would be a good counter to Spider-Man 
5.  Shatterstar  -- Would be a TON of fun, and a good analog of Deadpool.

1.  Cable --  everyone knows why
2.  Sentinel -- again, everyone knows  why
3.  Rogue -- she was cool in X-Men vs. Street Fighter when she actually copied powers.  In MvsC2 they nerfed her, only letting her get boosts from people.  LAME!  If they brought her back, they'd probably just do the same thing.
4.  X-23  --  Having two Wolverine is dumb.
5.  Not entirely sold on Phoenix, but we'll wait and see.

---------------------

Capccom side:
1.  Amaterasu -- the height thing might be an issue, but they'll work around it.  Looks ok.
2.  Arthur -- Digging far back in the well.  I like the exploding armor thing fine.
3.  Chris  --  Everyone loves a Resident Evil character....that's why this game has 3.  
4.  Chun-Li -- Same as before
5.  C. Viper -- Hopefully she'll have a projectile in the game, or else she's gonna be boned.  Needs another super.
6.  Dante --  Looks VERY cheap.  Also, it'd be funny if they re-style him as the new Dante, to piss all the fanboys off.
7.  Felicia --  Hopefully they fix some of her weakness's (such as being a shite character)
8.  Mike Haggar --  I know who Jeff is gonna play as.  As long as he's not a "360-rotate the control stick" grappler like Zangief, he should be fine.
9.  Morrigan -- Looks the same as before
10.  Ryu -- It's Ryu.  Come on, how much could they change about him?
11.  Spencer -- Needs to say "COME OVER HERE" when he uses his arm.  About it.
12.  Trish -- I had no idea who this was before I looked her up.  Not a great sign.
13.  Tronne -- Yeah, it's Tronne.  Hope she has a better attack than her one in MvsC2.   (The dash-drill thing)
14.  Viewtiful Joe -- Looks kind of broken, and I'm not sure why.  Just doesn't look fun.
15.  Wesker -- Might be interesting, but also a bit cheap like Dante.
16.  Zero -- His double-Super might be fun.  Not much else to say.

Characters they need:
 1.  Captain Commando -- His goddamn name says it all.  Plus his anti-air special was great to annoy people with.
2.  Strider -- He's been in all of them before.  His attacks kind of suck, but he's fun to watch.
3.  Mega Man -- If you have Zero, why no Mega?
4.  Servbot -- just because it'd be funny

1.  Trish -- Looks very cheap, and very ancillary to the games she's in
2.   Chris or Wesker.  You already have Jill (DLC and Special Edition unlock)  Do you need 3 RE characters?
3.  C. Viper -- There's a few people in Street Fighter's roster that are a bit more fun (Ken, Gouken, Cammy)
4.  Viewtiful Joe -- Dunno why, but he looks boring.  Maybe it's the bombs?
5.  Felicia (maybe) -- Felicia depends on whether or not they can fix her.  If they can, cool.  If not, dump her.

----------------------

I also know a few characters are rumored/DLC.  Chief among them, Shuma-Gorath, Jill Valentine, Akuma, and a few more.  Jill and Akuma were fine, but Shuma sucked balls, a needs better attacks to do anything useful.  I'll update this when more people are announced, or things change.

#2 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

To be honest, given the OTT nature of MvsC, C. Viper fits better into that universe than she does in Street Fighter. Her gimmicky gadgets are at odds with the rest of the SF roster.

#3 Posted by WrathOfBanja (352 posts) -

Thor doesnt look that good tbh. He didnt seem capable of much at that marvel thing a couple days ago, but who knows I guess.  
C.Viper technically does have another super. She's the only character who gets EX moves, which burn a bar for each one you use.
Captain Commando cant really be in it, seeing as his move list is basically the same as C. Viper.
And I have a feeling that Venom, Strider and Megaman might just end up in in. I mean, come on, they're kinda all iconic. Doesn't make any sense for them to not be there. 

Oh, and I might get some hate for this, but imho Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe need to gtfo this game. 

#4 Posted by kallistosprom (48 posts) -

Ken would be nice as i really enjoyed playing him in MvC2

#5 Posted by FUN (178 posts) -
"Captain America -- ...  Hope they can give him a better chance if he looses his shield though."
 "Dormammu --"Uh, ok".  His fire-rain thing looks cheap.  Also, he basically is like Mephisto from MvsC2."
 " Hulk -- Never really liked him, but he looks exactly the same.  I hope his 360 grapple thing has less priority this time around."
 "Storm --  Should be fine, if she has better supers."
 "Thor -- looked a BIT cheap, but should be interesting. " 
" X-23 -- who cares?  They already have Wolverine. "
Cable/Sent - Everyone knows why
" C. Viper -- Hopefully she'll have a projectile in the game, or else she's gonna be boned.  Needs another super. "
 "Dante --  Looks VERY cheap.  Also, it'd be funny if they re-style him as the new Dante, to piss all the fanboys off."
" Felicia --  Hopefully they fix some of her weakness's (such as being a shite character) " 
" Trish -- I had no idea who this was before I looked her up.  Not a great sign "
" Viewtiful Joe -- Looks kind of broken, and I'm not sure why.  Just doesn't look fun. "
 "Strider -- He's been in all of them before.  His attacks kind of suck, but he's fun to watch."
" Chris or Wesker.  You already have Jill (DLC and Special Edition unlockDo you need 3 RE characters? "

This is a small example of extremely mindboggling things in here
#6 Posted by rbysjti (354 posts) -
@FUN: lol.",)
#7 Posted by Hansolol (353 posts) -

It's always interesting to see what people who don't play fighting games think of them.

#8 Posted by FLStyle (4533 posts) -

Opinions! Opinions I don't approve of but opinions nonetheless.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

Viewtiful Joe is actually not a bad addition.  He fits in well in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and I imagine he'll play the same way in MvC3.

#10 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Mephisto wasn't in MvC2. That was Blackheart.

#11 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -
@TheFreeMan said:
" Mephisto wasn't in MvC2. That was Blackheart. "

Same difference, but you're right.  Mephisto was in MvsSF.
#12 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

So why are in favor of two hulks but not two wolverines? If you say She hulk will play differently I can rebut with the same thing.  You like more Megaman characters, but just because you have never followed the DMC series you hate on them, lols. In fact I don't get your logic on a character shouldn't be in it due to being potentially cheap (OP)? Being OP is like all everyone that played MVC2 wants. The game is about team building as well. having three OP characters isn't as good as two OP and one really good assist, etc. The only person they need is Juggernaut, and make his glitch a real legit move that cost Super. 

#13 Posted by StarvingGamer (7918 posts) -
@Hansolol
It's always interesting to see what people who don't play fighting games think of them.
I was looking for a way to dismiss this thread with the right amount of snark, thank you.
#14 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

That list kind of makes the game seem boring or broken. How many characters do you think there still are that haven't been revealed ? I'm gonna say cable and sentinel are givens. Maybe Frank West might pop in there and I'd like to see hawkeye I doubt that'll ever happen.
#15 Posted by rbysjti (354 posts) -
@HumanityPlague said:
" @TheFreeMan said:
" Mephisto wasn't in MvC2. That was Blackheart. "

Same difference, but you're right.  Mephisto was in MvsSF. "
There wasn't any Mephisto.
#16 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -
@rbysjti: There was Mephisto in the game.  He was a hidden character, and would cause fire-effects when he attacks.  He's just a palette-swap of Blackheart, but I still count him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.